Author Topic: Tip Curtis 20ga OTR Fowler...Help Pictures Anyone?  (Read 4846 times)

Offline tippit

Tip Curtis 20ga OTR Fowler...Help Pictures Anyone?
« on: November 27, 2017, 05:28:01 PM »
I'm considering a Tip Curtis 20ga OTR fowler.  I've heard he makes a nice fowler but he doesn't post any pictures.  He said he had a couple finished with metal in white...

WALNUT 44'' BRASS HARDWARE ENGLISH PATTERN WITH A CHAMBERS ROUND FACE FLINT & COLRAIN BARREL

MAPLE 42'' BRASS HARDWARE FORDNEY PATTERN WITH A L & R DURES EGG FLINT LOCK & COLRAIN BARREL

BUT...I have no idea what these fowlers look like.  Does anyone have any pictures of his fowlers and what is the difference between the above fowlers?

Thanks for any help...tippit

Offline sqrldog

Re: Tip Curtis 20ga OTR Fowler...Help Pictures Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 05:50:45 PM »
There is a picture of a Tip Curtis fowler that just sold in the classifieds.

Offline tippit

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 09:29:22 PM »
I did see that one...smoothbore rifle.

Offline Percy

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 12:22:21 AM »
Could be that Photobucket is blocking some pictures.

Percy

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 04:49:58 AM »
   I've been to his place and seen his builds at Friendship, sorry I don't have pictures but he has some good looking guns and he grades his wood much lower than anybody.  He's mid grade maple stocks has curl over 80% of the stock. I wish he didn't sell just kits he has nice wood.    Al
Alan K. Merrill

silly goose

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 02:16:46 AM »
The three rifles I purchased from Tip, I bought sight unseen, from his word.  I was most impressed upon unboxing.  He is a man of his word, and a pleasure to deal with.  I took a road trip to meet him a couple years ago and go through his shop.  He even treated me to lunch at a local bbq place.  If I needed a longrifle, he'd be my first call.  And I've had dealings with a few other builders, that don't hold a candle to Tip, either in business or quality. 

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 02:49:30 AM »
  I will second the comments about Tip. He diffianatly stands by his word. Several years ago he had a rifle I really wanted. But was very short of cash. He said well I'll hold it for you. Came back the next day to the show. He still had the gun for me.
  So I asked him why he didn't sell it to the other guy... He laughed an said you said u wanted it. An you would be back....Tip is in a class by himself...A man of his word...

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 04:56:51 AM »
Don't know if this helps...

This was a "Dubb's Fowler" that started life as a kit from Tip. I didn't build it ...bought it here.

Send me a PM if you'd like more pics. I can email them a lot easier.

I consider it more of a smooth rifle than a Fowler. Cheek piece, sights etc.  It was a Colerain turkey barrel..I had the choke removed and had it jugged and now I do shoot balls from it as well as shot.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 04:58:51 AM by Mauser06 »

Longwalker

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 08:47:02 PM »
Hello Tippit,
Below is a pic of a Tip Curtis built Bucks County Rifle I bought at Friendship back in September. Built really well, simple in style and detail, but very nice lines and architecture. No embellishments what so ever! I am really happy with it,  it is a great shooter and I killed a nice deer with it this fall. I would really recommend his work. I also have a "Dubbs" style  smoothbore, 20ga. I am going to build from the parts Tip sold me. I plan to finish it as a smooth rifle, with a rear sight and sliding patch-box and a bit of simple carving.
Harry

Treebeard

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 05:59:05 AM »
If you go to bing.com and search for Tip Curtis Frontier gun shop you will see a number of pictures of his shop and firearms.