Author Topic: Shooting a round ball through a jug choke?  (Read 2755 times)

Offline bobw

Shooting a round ball through a jug choke?
« on: December 13, 2017, 04:33:22 AM »
I’m pretty sure this was discussed a while back but darned if I see it.  I have a Getz 12 gauge barrel with a jug choke.  Had this for a long time and have been looking to do something with it.  The barrel has a 1.125 breech, bore .729 which is 12 gauge with a .026 jug choke, it’s also octagon to round.  Don’t know that I ever will, but just in case I or someone else would shoot a round ball through it, will it handle the ball passing through the choke?  Will it act like an obstruction?  Any loss of accuracy?  I’m aware of some pressure loss at that point, not totally sure, but don’t think it’s relevant at that point with the pressure so low.  This gun would be a very early style so the large bore should be appropriate, besides I have the barrel!   Thanks, Bob Warren

Offline Mauser06

Re: Shooting a round ball through a jug choke?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 04:51:19 AM »
A jug choke is actually bored out..not restricted so it will not act like an obstruction.

I've been shooting balls from my jugged 62 with no issues. Haven't tried them patched.

50yd group I shot..best I've done so far.  Realized that target setup was far from ideal with my sights. Shows promise IMO. 

I'm no gunsmith or expert. I can't promise you it's 10000% safe...but I've been doing it. Lol.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 12:42:24 PM »
I have a jug choked 12 ga an it shoots ball just fine. Go for it ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 02:48:42 PM »
I jugged choked a 16ga. that always made a consistent and relatively tight group, my post choking results were the same, no change.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 05:53:03 PM »
I have never done it, but I have oodles of customers that have great results.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 06:32:06 PM »
The holes circled are from a jug choked 12ga at 35 yards, the bull is 2". My load is 110 gr of 1F, a dry wool wad, a .690 ball wrapped in .018 ticking.

Offline bobw

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 09:18:21 PM »
Thanks everyone, you have me comfortable with this now.  Never shot a ball through a smooth bore so just needed assurance it would be ok in this barrel.

ddoyle

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 11:14:09 PM »
Mauser06, if your not patching your balls what exactly are you doing? and why would you change anyting!