Author Topic: Lehigh  (Read 18089 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Lehigh
« on: May 06, 2009, 01:08:33 AM »
I have photographs of a number of Lehigh rifles form makers such as John Rupp and Jacob Kuntz.  Many of the other rifles I photographed that had no names associated with them, are certainly represented by these two makers.  So, when I present a rifle without attribution, the geonealogy will still be evident.
[imgt]https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/DTaylorSapergia/Lehigh/DSCN2208.jpg[/img]

« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 06:46:21 PM by rich pierce »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

• Member 3
Re: Lehigh
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 01:31:54 AM »
batch two...the first pic deplaces the deleted one in the first posting.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 06:47:53 PM by rich pierce »
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 01:40:47 AM »
Now we're getting to the Kuntz rifles I love so much.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 06:48:42 PM by rich pierce »
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 01:48:20 AM »

« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 06:49:22 PM by rich pierce »
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 01:48:52 AM »
...more later.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Eric Fleisher

• E. Fleisher Shot Pouches
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 01:54:06 AM »
Great photos, thanks for posting those. The Lehigh guns are my favorite too.  Sorry, Don G. I can't help it.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 02:33:19 AM »
Wow! Thanks for the eye candy. I love Lehighs and can't see or study enough of them. Thanks again.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 02:49:55 AM »
Love the two piece rear sight with the brass base.  I feel a side project in the making.  Thanks for sharing Taylor.
DMR

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 05:10:48 AM »
D,Taylor
Hey this is great, thanks for posting these. We never get enough of details that we never see in the books. I know I have got to find the person that has the pics of the piece that is in the Metro Art museum in NYC. I may just have to build me one of these babies.
   Now I find it interesting in the shot of the patch box lid open that the hinge is not the tab folded and  riveted/soldered down type. They look like they just bent it around forming the tube.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 05:42:14 AM »
Taylor....great pictures, of both the Lehigh and the Bonewitz.  These close-up pictures are showing a lot of detail that few
of us ever really see when we look at an original, speaking for myself here.   We usually get carried away with the overall gun that we don't really see all the little details.  In view of the fact that we have been discussing the "new era" of gun
building versus these old masters, these pictures really point out a lot of the differences.  As you can see, the engraving
and carving is not up to what is being done today, it also points out the fact that your engraving doesn't have to be all
that great to compare to an original.  I'm not really sure they should be compared, the emphasis to build, and the conditions under which we work is so much different.   Sure is nice to study these old ones, nice stuff, hain't........Don

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 07:03:40 AM »
Here's some more - all of a J. Kuntz I think.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 06:49:56 PM by rich pierce »
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 07:18:56 AM »

« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 06:50:46 PM by rich pierce »
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 02:43:40 PM »
Taylor, On the last batch of photo's, fourth one down, is a rear sight. Is that a leaf for adjusting elevation? I'm not sure what I'm seeing, is there also a separate wedge for binding the sight in tight, or some mechanism for adjusting windage, I think I can see a witness mark. Thank you, these are really great!!
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 03:47:33 PM »
 Thanks again, WOW!

Tim C.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 03:57:54 PM »
Taylor....beautiful gun, seems like they were made just for collectors or museums, don't know how you could shoot that
thing....it would be like trying to aim down a broom stick.  I just did some work on a modern copy of a lehigh, you could
not aim it..period.  If you got your head low enough to aim it, the buttplate would hit you on your cheek bone.  This was
a gun made by a "famous" gun builder.   Thank goodness Allen Martin builds a Lehigh that fits you, even my first rifle which was a Lehigh, fits me...I shot it a lot.  I glad I got that Lehigh stuff out of my system early so I don't have to fiddle
with them any more.  I guess you realize that I don't care for them, pretty to look at, but not the greatest thing to shoot.
But, once again, Taylor's photo work is outstanding and would be a great help to anyone who has the nerve to want to
build one.  Eric, you're weird.....get back to your bag making, and see me before you order any more guns............Don

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 04:01:30 PM »
One more thing on that Kuntz rifle......how do you think Dixon's would score that lock placement?..............Don

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 05:08:20 PM »
Thank you Taylor!!

Now the question.
Was that rear sight adjustable for elevation???

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

longrifle

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 05:21:12 PM »
Those are really some really beautiful rifles.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 05:36:51 PM »
Thanks Taylor,
You have done us a real service because rarely do we see photos of guns taken by someone who knows exactly the shaping and design details of which we would be most interested.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 06:01:20 PM »
Great pictures Taylor!
Thanks for posting these and the Bonewitz, as they are a pleasure to look at.
Since the owner has given permission for posting here, hopefully they will be copied to the Library for future enjoyment.
John
John Robbins

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 06:17:59 PM »
I often wondered if those Lehighs were designed for a short fat faced thick necked deutcha boy cause I know they seldom (or never) fit a tall skinny long necked whatever guy!!  Well if you use no more than 25 gr and don't mind a 'bump' in the cheek on ignition I guess they would work.   This goes against the grain of some folks that say if they are built right they are just fine.   ;D

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 06:21:16 PM »
Most glorious thanks!  Lehigh guns are VERY poorly illustrated...if they're illustrated at all.  >:(

I have never gotten to see a Lehigh gun of "classic" form before.  I have seen several Kutztown/eastern Berks guns, and I almost bought a late Moll gun (not the same).  I have also gotten to see a gun of the late Rupp variety (like the Kuntz shown).  Otherwise that's it...which makes it real difficult when you're trying to build one!!!

When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

• Member 3
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 06:36:57 PM »
I appreciate everyone indicating their gratitude.  You are all most welcome.  If you intend to build a Lehigh, there are a lot of details in these pictures that will start you down the right path.  One of the most profound idiosyncracies regarding Lehigh rifles that amazed me, was their delicacy.  They are fine and bird-like.  The butt plates on some of them are less than four inches heel to toe.  The barrels have only a gentle swamp, are very heavy for their calibre, and stock design.   Many have from 1/8" - 3/16" of wood along the barrel channels, well below the centre line, and virtually flat from the roll to the ramrod groove.
That sight is cool.  It has an insert set into the vertical part - Kuntz was pretty handy with saw and file.  It is either an adjustable insert, or a replacement for an unsuccessful notch.  There is nothing on the back side of the rear sight to lock it after adjustment, though.  And it sits flush with the top, suggesting to me that it is a masterful and tedious repair.  But it sure could be either, or whatever the owner wanted.
When I was examining this collection, I naturally shouldered all the pieces with shooting in mind.  I did not shoulder a single rifle that I feel would have been awkward or uncomfortable to shoot.  I have only built two Lehigh rifles, and I made sure that the drop at the comb especially, and at the heel, were adequate.  Consequently, both rifles are easy and comfortable to shoot.  Add to that that the bigger of the two bores was .45 calibre.  If you mounted a .60 cal light octagon to round, as with one of those famous Herman Rupp runs, then you may have a bruiser.
One more observation...not all Lehigh rifles have an open ended nose piece.  I have provided examples of both open and closed here.
I have some more pics to present, so I'd best get at it.
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 06:42:49 PM »
Regarding lock placement Don...The example I've show is typical.  The clock is right up at the top of the side flat.  Perhaps the vent is bored downhill to intersect the bore...I did not stick a wire into the vents to check that out, but it makes sense.  Placing the lock there permits a stock that is as slender vertically as possible.
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 06:54:08 PM »
These are some more pictures of two Jacob Kuntz pieces.  Check out the thickness of the forend wood in the first picture.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 06:51:36 PM by rich pierce »
D. Taylor Sapergia