Author Topic: ... Rock Island Auction  (Read 4121 times)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

... Rock Island Auction
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:08:05 PM »
.... just watched Rock Island's on-line auction .... appears to have been a good day for those buying ...realized prices seem to have been lower than I had expected .... here are some from the sale ....
... Remington 1816 commemorative ... $4250
...Hershel House 1976 build .... $5500
... Gary Bowman Pennsylvania (nice) ... $1700
... Gerald Neaves 1/3 scale Kentucky ... $2750
... Royland Southgate ... $850
...Allan Sandy blunderbuss ... $2000
.... Larry Garner nice Lancaster ...$2200
...Warren Fitzgerald Pennsylvania ... $1300
... R W Dwyer Jaeger ... $1100
 ..... also attended the CW show in Franklin TN yesterday,... Very reasonable prices on antique and contemporary builds ..... market on our hobby seems to be down ....

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: ... Rock Island Auction
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 12:37:15 AM »
It's an interesting observation, but I hope for your sake you're not into muzzleloading rifles to make money.  As much as I hate to see an artist's work 'go for' less than it is worth, that value is very subjective, and very fragile.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 01:04:03 AM »
You have got to be crapin' me...... :o

I knew there was some place I was supposed to go this weekend. I only live 30 miles away..... ::)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 01:05:18 AM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 02:31:31 AM »
  Cades amazing what you can find for minimal cost. See it all the time.
  All depends on how bad the buyer wants it. An how bad the seller wants to part with it...

Offline snapper

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 04:39:05 AM »
Well, I was disappointed today on the auction.

The J. Blanch & Son Finely Engraved English Half Stock Percussion Sporting Rifle in .60 cal sold for $8,050.  Unfortunately it was much more than I was hoping for, and no I did not buy it.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline HIB

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 07:30:37 AM »
Gentlemen and Ladies of the ALR forum.
Heed the message presented by CCF. As the stock market continues to rise the antique market continues to fall. Will it turn around? History says it will. Are all antique markets affected? Yes, and will continue to be so. And as the antique market goes-so goes the contemporary market. It is definitely time to buy: if you buy smart.

Buying smart does not always mean search the auction sites for value as the hammer price is only the beginning of your expense. You must consider buyers premium, sales tax and landed cost. Buyers premium can reach 20% or even higher if you bid on-line.Shipping costs have doubled in the last 7 years and sales tax isn't going south any time soon.

Ex: a quality contemporary piece might hammer down at $3500. Add 20% BP and sales tax and you will, for certain, exceed $4400. Now you have to figure out how to get it home. Say you ship the gun and insure your purchase; Now you are closing in on or surpassed $4600. But you say, 'I was at the auction so I won't have that expense'. True, if you live close by but most of the time you will have at least one overnight expense along with meals and gas money if you attend the auction. Landed cost, the real true cost in dollars and cents of getting your purchase to your gun room-is seldom considered by young auction buyers and often neglected by old ones.

So what do we do? We can wait out the drought or we can network effectively. Use the above example when a buyer, young or old, shows an interest in your craftsmanship.Point out the hidden cost associated with the false accounting of a auction hammer price.

Basically, sell the steak and not the sizzle because if your work is good enough the sizzle will take care of itself. The cost of getting the steak home is the landed cost. Regards to all, HIB

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 05:10:25 PM »

The J. Blanch & Son Finely Engraved English Half Stock Percussion Sporting Rifle in .60 cal sold for $8,050.  Unfortunately it was much more than I was hoping for, and no I did not buy it.

Fleener

Very nice gun and I like to get Blanch guns since I picked up a Rook shotgun (.410) for my daughter years ago.  That one went for crazy money.  Plus, I picked up a .54 and a 12 bore half stocked English sporting rifles at the CLA.  Pricey but not pricey.
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline cable

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 09:33:21 PM »

I knew there was some place I was supposed to go this weekend. I only live 30 miles away..... ::)

that would be overpriced at a 1/4 of that !  have seen them locally for 1200-1300$ and passed on them at that price.  jeesh!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 09:42:09 PM »

that would be overpriced at a 1/4 of that !  have seen them locally for 1200-1300$ and passed on them at that price.  jeesh!
That's a $400 gun in my book.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline snapper

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 04:22:17 AM »
Yes, I was really hoping that English Sporting rifle would find a new home with me.  I was on the phone to bid on it, but it quickly exceeded my threshold.

I should of married a woman with more money.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 05:27:00 PM »
A pal back home was watching an English 16th C matchlock sell yesterday, and had a phone line open.
Estimate was about a  thousand GBP.
Sold for 44,000  GBP, so with buyers premium and such it came to about 50,000 GBP.
No, he didn't buy it!   ;)

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 03:35:39 AM »
One of my friends was on the phone also, and had to get up at 4AM in the bargain... he told me he was very aggressive – like the price of a new car aggressive but still didn't get it. As far as I can tell, it may be the only known signed English matchlock. It was dated on the barrel to the day of the 1674 Goldsmith's Jubilee or London Triumph. I am hoping the Royal Armouries ended up with it... so at least I can visit.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 03:38:09 AM by JV Puleo »