Author Topic: Gouges  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Mike from OK

Gouges
« on: December 04, 2017, 04:42:48 AM »
I've been working on a few horns when time allows. My wife took notice of my efforts and decided to surprise me with a couple of Scott & Cathy Sibley's books... I guess she loves me or something.

Anyhow, in the description of tools in Recreating the 18th Century Powderhorn, gouges are listed. Both a curved and a V gouge for engrailing.

Could you folks recommend which sizes I would need to get started? And which brands would be good for someone wanting to get started?

I don't necessarily need handmade Swedish steel. But as with most tools you tend to get what you pay for.

Thanks.

Mike

JNG3

Re: Gouges
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 05:01:43 AM »
Can't help you with horn work, but for stock work I like chisels and gouges from Dastra. Expensive but worth it. Lifetime investment. The Log Cabin Shop sells some of the Dastra line.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 06:53:27 AM »
I'll check em out. Thanks!

Mike

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 07:39:58 AM »
Pfeil, Two Cherries, Flex-cut, are all very good quality, and readily available.
Don't know on sizes, but I know what cuts wood.
If you don't do a lot, you can get by with Flex-cut gouges with interchangeable blades.  A lot cheaper, if you don't mind changing the blades.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 10:34:23 AM »
Go with Pfeil. Order one or two on payday and don't look at the price. You won't regret it.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 05:24:22 AM »
Thank you gents. I'll check em out.

Mike