Author Topic: Breech plug  (Read 2137 times)

Maineshops

Breech plug
« on: December 07, 2017, 01:50:56 AM »

Roughed out the breach plugs today. Is the whole area behind the threads tapered or just the tang. It is not really clear to me. What angle roughly  thanks Dan

Offline L. Akers

Re: Breech plug
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 06:23:01 PM »
All original plugs I have seen have been angled to the base of the threads.  The angles are all over the map and IMO the amount of angle is unimportant--use enough to create draft for a tight mortice.  I notice you machined your plugs.  I saw mine out and create the angle with my saw line.

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 06:29:50 PM »
If you're talking about the angle for inletting just a couple of degrees is enough.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 07:56:01 PM »
Suggestion:  reduce the depth of the lug aft of the thread journal to 5/16" - 3/8".  That area will definitely interfere with the rear lock screw anyway, but yours are extreme in depth.  Taper the lug and the tang itself, filing draft to make inletting easier and more accurate.  Also, file the back edge of the lug - narrower at the bottom (closer to the journal) than at the top.  Just enough so it is visible is enough.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 08:43:33 PM »
I agree with everything Taylor said. You may already know, but the width of the tang where it mates up to the barrel is the same width as the barrel flats. Also, I think you cheated yourself out of a couple extra treads, to me more is always better. I am not a machinist, they look pretty good for homegrown.

Maineshops

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 10:56:45 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on the length of that lug. I did one at 7 deg ona side and it seemed a little much so I backed off to5deg and that looks pretty good. I used a wily cube to set the angle and tha worked good too