Author Topic: Milk paint vs bone black  (Read 3248 times)

Offline wmrike

Milk paint vs bone black
« on: December 05, 2017, 11:25:32 PM »
As I read the myriad threads that deal with putting a patina on a stock, the go-to medium is bone black.  Has anyone tried or have an opinion on the use of black milk paint to achieve the same results?

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Milk paint vs bone black
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 12:03:43 AM »
I use lamp black oil paint or powdered charcoal.   It is all carbon of some sort.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 12:58:01 AM »
I’ve heard tell of flat black spray paint sprayed on and wiped off everywhere but the nooks and crannies.
Andover, Vermont

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 01:07:55 AM »
No kind of skill or secret to share, but I used black paint once. A Mike Brooks posting here inspired me to try it. I did not spray it on but I rubbed it on with a rag after the last whiskering. I rubbed it back vigorously, in fear mostly (lol)--- it made the walnut stock look like a black and white photo. It scared me to death actually. I then applied the finish and wow. it really looked great. The black went into the grain and the final result was very warm, rich and old.
Galations 2:20

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 01:14:31 AM »
Black dry tempra paint works well, as does black concrete tinting powder. Simply mix it with whatever finish you rub on for one of the coats.

Hungry Horse

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 06:37:53 AM »
I would say many things would work, some better than others - just experiment with the milk paint and see what you think, you may like the results.  I used tempra paint once and it did okay, even used laser printer toner one time with good results.  That is not period correct by the way, lol!   ;D

Bottom line is ya never know how something will do unless you try it.  That being said, I like the way bone black and lamp black mix with the various finish oils I have tried.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Frank

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 03:24:26 PM »
I wish Mike Brooks would comment on this. I read one of his postings a long time ago about how he does it, but can't find it  All of his guns look great. I know he uses flat black spray paint.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:25:25 PM by Frank »

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 06:49:04 PM »
I wish Mike Brooks would comment on this. I read one of his postings a long time ago about how he does it, but can't find it  All of his guns look great. I know he uses flat black spray paint.

Try this thread:
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=41998.msg408901#msg408901

Offline wmrike

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 08:15:30 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  Everyone seems to treat the patina process rather simply instead of making it science.

I have used glaze and Testors flat black enamel on furniture and incidental items.  The glaze is kind of okay, depending on the desired effect.  The enamel route seems to work pretty well, but I wanted to make certain I wasn't missing something.  I have had the milk paint on the shelf for some time, but am a little leery of its short working time.  It might behave differently mixed with oil instead of water.  I'll have to experiment.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 09:46:46 PM »
My last one I slathered with thickened linseed.  I them smoked it with MAPP gas with the air vents blocked.  IT makes an extremely black sootie flame that makes the surface black in one pass.  When the oil absorbs it pulls the carbon into the wood.  I bet it would work even better on raw porous wood.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 06:50:36 AM »
My last one I slathered with thickened linseed.  I them smoked it with MAPP gas with the air vents blocked.  IT makes an extremely black sootie flame that makes the surface black in one pass.  When the oil absorbs it pulls the carbon into the wood.  I bet it would work even better on raw porous wood.

That sounds interesting!  Interesting enough to try, perhaps!
Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing