Author Topic: Details on a Fainot patchbox  (Read 7999 times)

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Details on a Fainot patchbox
« on: December 06, 2017, 07:13:43 PM »
I’ve been working on a fowling piece patterned after Fainot’s work. Several here helped me figure out construction details of his side-opening, surround patchboxes. It’s a complicated thing. The hinge is a separate piece with leaves that are riveted to the surround and the lid.

Next challenge is to figure out the catch and spring. Last night I went to my ML club’s weekly “build, BS, and bourbon at Browner’s” and Bob himself noted a tiny detail I had missed.

Look very closely and in the area of the screw, rivet head, and buttplate, there is a sliver of silver along the edge between buttplate and surround. This led us to think this is where a spring for the lid catch is anchored.

It’s been a fun bit of detective work to try to figure out Fainot’s box construction techniques which seem unique to him, at least among Lancaster builders.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 03:34:35 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Details on a Fainot patchbox
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 09:48:40 PM »
Golly, sure looks like a lot of work! ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 09:55:26 PM »
It is, Mike. This should be a $500 patchbox. I notice you mostly stay away from complicated brass boxes in your builds.

I’m going to make a couple more while I still remember how.
Andover, Vermont

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 10:40:32 PM »
I agree with Mike, it's a lot of work.  But the payoff is having a unique patchbox.  I'm interested to see the release and the finished product.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

n stephenson

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 10:54:07 PM »
Rich, Looking good!! Is there a picture of the mechanism in RCA ?  I feel sure that I have seen that , somewhere before . I could be wrong though??  Nate

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 11:46:16 PM »
Nate, we’re blessed to have a fabulous example here in our library and it as the patchbox open!

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=15403.0

Here’s s nocevone sold a few years ago: https://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-2364-important-early-relief-carved-gun-attributed-to-george-frederick-fainot-49786/
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 11:48:34 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 11:59:25 PM »
The release latch looks like it's in the centre along the top edge of the lid.  So, what is the button in the top rear corner all about?  Quite an interesting project, Rich.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 12:52:08 AM »
there are two more either side of the hinge side screw whatever they are for
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 12:56:16 AM »
Taylor, I suppose it’s fair to share images from the library.

temporary image upload

See the little brass knobs in 2 places. There are 2 of them in the surround next to the hinge and 1 there at the upper left right next to where we noted the little sliver of steel. We concluded all the little brass nubs are rivet heads. Beside the hinge they anchor the lid opener spring to the surround. In the upper corner the lone rivet locks the catch spring to the surround.

Now I have to guess the form of the catch spring now I know where it is anchored.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 03:26:40 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 12:57:27 AM »
 Rich impressive work...it's challenges like this that make this SO..rewarding...well done...

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 01:01:54 AM »
Rich impressive work...it's challenges like this that make this SO..rewarding...well done...

It’s been a fun project. I really like Fainot’s funky patch boxes. I plan 2 more Fainot builds. Next will be a rifle then another fowler. I want to get his style down and apply what I’ve learned more efficiently.

Then I will be ready for a change!
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 10:09:43 PM »
Ah yes, obvious once someone else has done the study.  Nice work.  I'm looking forward to seeing your guns in progress Rich.

Taylor
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

n stephenson

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 12:29:49 AM »
Rich, I applaud your go at a cool old piece !! One of the real treats of this site is the diverse range of work that members do / have done. I just really love to see people do the "different" pieces , many of which are more interesting , in their own way than some of the more well known "classics" . Making the odd ones teaches me twice as much , as I tend to focus more intently , on every possible little detail , more than the ones I`m used to doing . Keep us posted Rich !!  Nate

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 03:35:08 AM »
Nate, all I can figure is Fainot got a bargain on a keg of rivets because just about everything is riveted to everything else in this patchbox.  Last night I cut the patchbox cavity and today installed the opener spring which is riveted to the surround. 

Andover, Vermont

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 05:16:04 AM »
Great job Rich, I see you have your own labor of love 😁 that patch box is quite the undertaking on its own.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 05:22:09 AM »
Great work on the box, Rich!  I hope you post some progress pics of that gun along the way, I look forward to seeing more of it!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 09:59:44 PM »
Re-did the opener spring and installed the latch spring and latch. Just some small tweaks left.  Lots of lesson learned!  Fainot made these boxes as self-contained units, all springs, catches, latches, hinge riveted to the surround.  Pretty complicated but he stuck with this design.  Hopefully the next one will be easier to make. Next Fainot will be a rifle.

Andover, Vermont

Offline vanu

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 11:38:50 PM »

Some detail photos of the Fainot rifle box...looks like you got it!

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 11:46:16 PM »
Thanks!  That’s the earliest known Fainot with a patchbox.  That hinge is a little different from later ones. It has one “knuckle”.  This is a great rifle and my next project.

Other Fainot boxes ( I think the top 2 are quite a bit later):

imageupload
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 11:53:05 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline vanu

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 12:29:36 AM »
Rich,
Yes, this is quite a nice rifle and early...If you wish, I'd be happy to provide any details of the Fainot rifle that may assist you with your next project.
Bruce

Offline PPatch

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 12:54:52 AM »
Rich - you really went to town with that patchbox! Nicely done, as is the fowler it goes on. I remember handling the gun the evening you were passing it around. It handles well and points well and is surprisingly light. I hope you post pictures of it when you are done.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2017, 01:02:18 AM »
Rich - you really went to town with that patchbox! Nicely done, as is the fowler it goes on. I remember handling the gun the evening you were passing it around. It handles well and points well and is surprisingly light. I hope you post pictures of it when you are done.

dave
Yes, I'd like to see it as well. You fellows have certainly been making some interesting guns lately....
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 04:30:09 PM »
Great post Rich, riveting!! Very nicely done!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 12:55:15 PM »
This has been a most exciting, as well as educational thread!

Rich, your hard work and skill would make Fainot stand proud!  I look forward to seeing your future progress on this fine build!
Joel Hall

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 03:11:56 PM »
Hi Rich,
Happy New Year and wonderful thread.  That is a complicated patchbox for sure but you are doing a great job reproducing the details.  What a great series of guns you have planned!

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."