Author Topic: 50 Caliber Flintlock Tennessee Mountain Rifle  (Read 9385 times)

Offline 44-henry

50 Caliber Flintlock Tennessee Mountain Rifle
« on: December 07, 2017, 05:29:55 PM »
Note from the moderators: This gun has already been sold and delivered to it's new home.  This thread has been moved here so fans of the Dixie Tennessee Mountain Rifle may continue their discussion.

I have a rather nice Dixie Tennessee Mountain Rifle in 50 caliber. I suspect that this was a kit gun as the stock is much better proportioned and finished than the factory rifles that I have seen over the years. This one has a very nice patina and has the look of an well worn, but cared for antique rifle. The barrel has a browned finish with combinations of smooth and rough areas that really add to the antique appearance of the rifle, the color is fantastic on both metal and wood alike. The bore is good and the lock functions correctly and does spark well, though the locks on these rifles were never the quality of what is available today. At one time you could purchase the percussion conversion kit for these, not sure if it is still available anymore. Anyway, barrel length is 41 1/4" and the diameter of the barrel is 15/16". Should make a good starter rifle for someone and the price will be right. $500.00 plus actual cost of shipping/insurance to your location. I ship all my rifles in a custom plywood box so I can promise it will arrive to your location safely. If you would like any additional pictures, or have other questions please let me know.

Regards,

Alex Johnson

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:04:36 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Gordy

Re: 50 Caliber Flintlock Tennessee Mountain Rifle for Sale
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 06:16:53 PM »
Howdy, do u still have the DGW Rifle ??? If so could you please tell me the serial number on it. I am curious as to how old it is. The pictures appear it has some age or was that the way the person finished it out ???? Does it appear to have been shot alot ??? It appears that someone plugged the grease hole in the stock ??Thanks Gordy

Offline L Meadows

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 09:17:49 PM »
Is this an early Belgian made gun or a later Miroku Japan gun?

Dave Patterson

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 04:24:46 AM »
I bought it, fellers; had wanted one since DGW first pre-advertised them. 

Yes:  it has had quite a bit of lead down the barrel; in very good shape, but it's definitely a veteran.

As advertised, whoever built it, aged it; time has added to the "mellow".

Grease hole was plugged, at some point; looks to me like it was done during the original assembly.

I don't see anything like a number on the exterior; don't remember seeing one on the underside of the barrel, either.  Only markings on the topside of the barrel are, "Dixie Gun Works", with "Union City, Tennessee" below.  So I don't know whether it's Belgian or Japanese.

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 04:25:01 AM »
Hello, the rifle did sell and I should have updated the post. It was a Japanese made rifle I believe, but could have been an earlier one. I think the very early ones had 7/8" barrels and later models had the normal 15/16.

Regards,

Alex Johnson
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 04:27:40 AM by 44-henry »

Online Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 04:22:52 PM »
The 'Made in Japan' ones had that proudly roll engraved on the top of the barrel.
Robin
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 09:37:54 PM »
I have one, and it's a VERY good shooting rifle. 
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 03:03:25 AM »
I have a LH and a RH. I cut the barrels to 36", slimmed down the stocks and poured pewter nose caps. Made good rifles better.
Mark
Mark

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 04:36:03 PM »
I have a LH and a RH. I cut the barrels to 36", slimmed down the stocks and poured pewter nose caps. Made good rifles better.
I can imagine ... as my 1st flintlock rifle was a Dixie 50-cal ‘poor boy’, but ugghhh sooooooo dayum muzzle heavy! Bought a lefty version many years later and thought about shortening it like you did ... but never got around to it; sold it off when I finally got a custom LH rifle.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Barry Myers

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 11:02:46 PM »
If this is still for sale, my friend would like to purchase it.  Please let me know.

Dave Patterson

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 03:19:20 AM »
If this is still for sale, my friend would like to purchase it.  Please let me know.

Need to read the thread, Boss; I bought 'er, and I ain't asellin 'er!   ;)

Dave Patterson

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 03:23:26 AM »
Alex, this one's 15/16" ATF.

Robby, no "Made in Japan" on this one:  just the two lines of block engraving, one above the other.  "Dixie Gun Works" above, and "Union City, Tennessee" underneath:  all markings on the top of the barrel are shown in the 6th photo from the top, in the original sale posting.

If we get snowed-out at work tomorrow, I'll pop the barrel out and take a peak underneath.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:32:19 AM by Dave Patterson »

mfharper

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 11:46:15 AM »
I have one I just refinished, it has Made In Japan engraved on it. Here's a link to the before and after pics:
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=46648.msg465548#msg465548

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 06:12:42 PM »
 :) :)... Great job, Harper .... only additional thing I would do is take a dremel tool and file to slim down those chunky triggers .... I believe the rifle that Patterson got has a walnut stock .... Dixie had a few in Walnut .... Most were Cherry .... 

Dave Patterson

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 03:49:14 AM »
  .... I believe the rifle that Patterson got has a walnut stock .... Dixie had a few in Walnut .... Most were Cherry ....

Yep:  walnut.

No markings at all on the inside of the lock, or underside of the barrel.

Dave Patterson

Re: 50 Caliber Flintlock Tennessee Mountain Rifle
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 07:16:02 PM »
Rattling around here at the house, looking for a specific article in a book, I found an old original full-color glossy pre-sale ad for the Dixie TMR, I had saved for... well, whyever.

I'll scan it in and post it here, if I can ever get The Bride's home scanner to talking with her laptop; they're supposed to, but stubbornly refuse to converse politely.

The ad text ends with:  "... Projected delivery is late Fall, 1978.  Percussion and Flint - finished rifle $195.00.  Kit $175.00."

Specs they give for the first generation TMR are:

BARREL:  7/8 X 41 1/2" X .50; 6 lands & grooves; 1:56" X .010.

LOCK:  7/8 X 4 3/4"; Early Schultz w/ fly

STOCK:  Walnut; 56" OAL; oil finish

TRIGGERS: DS/DA

SIGHTS: front - brass dovetail w/silver blade.  Rear - steel buckhorn; open-browned

RECOMMENDED LOADS:  65 gra FFG black powder or equivalent Pyrodex; .50 Maxi ball or .490 round ball with .010 patch.