Author Topic: Ideas for gun for Chris Evart lock  (Read 2504 times)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Ideas for gun for Chris Evart lock
« on: December 09, 2017, 05:16:52 PM »
 Taking advice from Dave Rase an other's.
 If you have idea's as what style of gun I should build with this lock. I would appreciate greatly.
 My main interest is deer hunting.
Would really hate myself if I built a gun that was inappropriate in style for it. Thank you for any ideas...Mike

Offline sqrldog

Re: Ideas for gun for Chris Evart lock
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 05:49:06 PM »
I believe I read that Jim Kibler's early rifle kit due to come out in the near future will use a round faced English lock. If that is the Chambers Early English round faced lock then that is a place you could use the  Evart modified lock w/o a bridle and have a little different look. One of these Kibler early style rifles in .54 cal. should be a great hunting rifle. Just a  thought.  Tim

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 10:34:27 PM »
 :D :D :D...... Well, Mike ... You know what I'm gonna say ..... Talk to Jack .... Then build a nice, early NC or Southern Mountain in .50-.54 cal.  .....Walnut stock, Iron furniture (that HH trigger-guard  ), 48" bbl., ..... using that lock would give appearance of an early 1800's mountain rifle using the lock off an earlier  wrecked gun ,,,... I believe you would have you something there..... Post what you decide .... best wishes, Bud ....... 8) 8) 8)

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 11:34:59 PM »
I believe I read that Jim Kibler's early rifle kit due to come out in the near future will use a round faced English lock. If that is the Chambers Early English round faced lock then that is a place you could use the  Evart modified lock w/o a bridle and have a little different look. One of these Kibler early style rifles in .54 cal. should be a great hunting rifle. Just a  thought.  Tim
I read that last night on Kiblers website and was thinking the same thing. Wish I had bought one of Chris's locks now.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 12:15:39 AM »
Hi Mike,
I have a similar sized round-faced lock that is going on an early Peter Berry rifle.  It will be a fairly close copy of the older berry rifle shown  in Dave Hansen's book "The American Longrifle".

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Dave Patterson

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 02:08:56 AM »
Mr Fiddler, with all possible respect, I SHORE wish you wouldn't share your ideas on a thread I might possibly read someday:  you're not helping my "need to build me one of them..." list get ANY shorter!   ;)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 03:24:54 AM »
You need to build an English fowling gun in what ever guage you can handle, perfect for that sort of thing. It will also go good on about any early colonial gun/rifle as well.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 08:07:06 PM »
:D :D :D...... Well, Mike ... You know what I'm gonna say ..... Talk to Jack .... Then build a nice, early NC or Southern Mountain in .50-.54 cal.  .....Walnut stock, Iron furniture (that HH trigger-guard  ), 48" bbl., ..... using that lock would give appearance of an early 1800's mountain rifle using the lock off an earlier  wrecked gun ,,,... I believe you would have you something there..... Post what you decide .... best wishes, Bud ....... 8) 8) 8)

Sure would love to see that gun :)

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 08:08:00 PM »
I read that last night on Kiblers website and was thinking the same thing. Wish I had bought one of Chris's locks now.

I have the parts for another batch. Hopefully to be started after Christmas here shortly. Thanks!

Chris E.