Author Topic: Carving tools?  (Read 7605 times)

Offline Justin

Re: Carving tools?
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2017, 05:01:17 AM »
Regarding the skew chisels, do you recommend a single or double beveled variety? I'd like to add one to my collection.

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2017, 05:18:50 AM »
I have one of each.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 08:22:01 AM »
Regarding the skew chisels, do you recommend a single or double beveled variety? I'd like to add one to my collection.

I prefer single bevel skews, but I could not give you a specific reason why. They just seem to be a bit easier to use.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2017, 02:24:27 PM »
I don't use either.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Justin

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2017, 05:56:08 PM »
I have one of each.

Are you a salesman at Woodcraft? ;D

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2017, 10:11:16 PM »
I prefer double bevel.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2017, 05:11:01 AM »
I have one of each.

Are you a salesman at Woodcraft? ;D

Nope.  You did ask.   ;D
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2017, 06:56:06 PM »
Another suggestion if you are starting out, Check out local flea markets. Usually there is somebody selling old tools. I have bought handfuls of chisels and gouges, some of outstanding quality and never spent more than a few dollars. You will quickly get an eye for quality steel, Get a few nice quality 1/4 inch chisels, you can grind into any sort of skew chisel or dogleg chisel you can imagine. I paid 25 cents for my favorite 1/4 inch chisel, it is a Buck Brothers and I use it the most of all my tools. I have played around with others and made gouges or bull nose chisels.  Then you can start adding Pfeil gouges from Woodcraft as you need them. Stay away from sets, they look like a savings but you WILL end up with tools you never use.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2017, 08:09:36 PM »
What I figured out is that as you get better at carving, you realize that it is also possible to carve things other than guns. You always hear advise to stay away from the sets because there will be a few in there that you never use. Its more accurate to say that there will be a few that you will not use very often, but be glad that you have eventually. If you are putting together a set specifically for guns then stick with the basics. Get the rest later. Those oddball ones come in handy every now and then.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2017, 08:26:33 PM »
What I figured out is that as you get better at carving, you realize that it is also possible to carve things other than guns. You always hear advise to stay away from the sets because there will be a few in there that you never use. Its more accurate to say that there will be a few that you will not use very often, but be glad that you have eventually. If you are putting together a set specifically for guns then stick with the basics. Get the rest later. Those oddball ones come in handy every now and then.
Now this is sound advise -- I have done this from the very beginning of my work back in the 60's . My dad bought me my first set of Gunline chisels in 1965 and I have added to them whenever I need something different. I have also made chisels from small files and O-1 tool steel. I think I have over 50 at this time - you can never have too many tools ;D ;)!!!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2017, 08:33:11 PM »
Spend a lot of time practicing on like wood, if the stock is maple, buy a piece of maple and carve your design in it.  A  piece of maple from the lumberyard is a lot cheaper than a gunstock blank.  It will teach you techniques and help with muscle memory.  But most importantly it will help you learn how to sharpen your chisels.  What a new carver thinks is a sharp chisel, is usually a dull chisel. 

I believe in buying the sets, the savings usually save enough to cover the costs of one or more of the chisels/gouges.  You may not ever use the extra, but sometimes they can be repurposed by changing the shape of the grind.  Over the years, I have eventually used the "extra" chisels, either as is or as a repurposed chisel.