Author Topic: Drop/LOP ratio?  (Read 2887 times)

Offline RockLock92

Drop/LOP ratio?
« on: December 10, 2017, 02:50:11 AM »
Hello,
I’ve been slowly working on a Lehigh rifle with my father for a while and we recently have been able to make significant progress on it, but we’ve come across a posible issue. The rifle will have a 4 inch drop and we are unsure if we will need to adjust the LOP do to the extra drop. The rifle I shoot regularly has a 3 1/4 inch drop and a 14.5 LOP. Will the extra drop change my LOP or not necessarily? It’s a pre shaped stock so there’s no adjusting the drop. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 02:51:00 AM by RockLock92 »

Offline flinchrocket

Re: Drop/LOP ratio?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 03:18:27 AM »
You could make a try stock out of a piece of plywood using your pre carve as a pattern.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 03:19:31 AM »
It's the drop at the comb that will get you on Lehigh's.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline RockLock92

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 07:28:10 AM »
You could make a try stock out of a piece of plywood using your pre carve as a pattern.

My Father and I were thinking that might work.

Offline RockLock92

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 07:29:25 AM »

The infamous Lehigh cheek slap?

Offline Goo

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 05:20:22 PM »

The pictures of orignal lehigh rifles I've seen have no comb ?   Maybe it depends on the maker?  Maybe I am unclear on what a comb is?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 05:22:19 PM by Goo »
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 07:00:44 PM »
Hello,
I’ve been slowly working on a Lehigh rifle with my father for a while and we recently have been able to make significant progress on it, but we’ve come across a posible issue. The rifle will have a 4 inch drop and we are unsure if we will need to adjust the LOP do to the extra drop. The rifle I shoot regularly has a 3 1/4 inch drop and a 14.5 LOP. Will the extra drop change my LOP or not necessarily? It’s a pre shaped stock so there’s no adjusting the drop. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad
Maybe I'm not clear on this question -- IF you have a pre-shaped stock and there is no adjusting the drop then everything is "cast in stone" - you cut your length of pull and that will establish your drop at the heal - yes - no???
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 10:00:12 PM »
I think the question is whether greater drop impacts comfortable length of pull. 

I have no knowledge about that. But experience tells me drop at the comb matters a lot and anybody can shoot a gun with a shorter than normal length of pull.  Unless you thumb is punching you in the nose, the LOP is not too short.

Andover, Vermont

Offline RockLock92

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 10:35:04 PM »
Sorry I should have worded it better. Does the increased drop require a shorter pull?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 01:03:37 AM »
Sorry I should have worded it better. Does the increased drop require a shorter pull?
I wouldn't think so.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mr. Bubbles

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 10:03:28 PM »
The Lehigh cheek slap comes from a couple of different things, but mostly it's from how your cheek interfaces with the comb as you are lining up the sights.  Most of them don't have enough drop there (forcing the shooter to engage the stock with their head crooked over at an angle), and/or the "corner" as it moves to the top of the comb is too sharp.  Putting in some cast-off can help with both, as can deepening the "concavity" in the cheek piece, and making the cheek rest protrusion very small.

Most shooters need between 1 3/4"-2 1/8" of drop from the sight line to where their cheek engages stock.  Build in less than what you need and you have to angle your head to get sight alignment, (and Lehighs have notoriously low sights)  and the corner of your cheek bone is right on the corner of the comb rollover.  Whammo---cheek slap.

So since the comb angles upwards (unlike an M-16 that is dead flat parallel to the bore) the drop of the stock at the heel isn't that important.  That's for your shoulder.  What IS important is how you shoulder the gun, and where your cheek engages the stock forward of the butt.  That will determine where your drop at the comb will be at the ideal height to acquire a proper sight picture, with proper head alignment.