Author Topic: When to start carving and moulding - after final sanding?  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Justin

When to start carving and moulding - after final sanding?
« on: December 12, 2017, 02:57:01 AM »
I'm about at the point where I have everything attached to my rifle kit and I want to start laying out mouldings and carvings. I won't be starting to cut wood until I feel good about my patterns and I also will be practicing on scrap wood.

However, none of my reference materials are super clear about whether I should be completing "final sanding" o the entire stock before carving anything. For example, I have the DVD that Chambers sells featuring Jim Turpin. He sands the butt plate and then adds his moulding on the butt plate up to the trigger. So that part is clear but he doesn't seem to do any mouldings around his lock plate. It seems mostly obvious that you'd want to sand before doing any moulding but I also want to add beavertails off my lock plate and I don't want to sand away all the wood I'd need to form those.

Should I just be sure to leave enough wood in these areas when sanding down to 320 grit so that I will have enough wood for these relief carving features?

Probably a dumb question and I think I know the answer but I wanted to get clarification from folks who know better before proceeding. Thanks for clarifying for this newbie.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: When to start carving and moulding - after final sanding?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 03:11:28 AM »
Your stock should be final sanded, ready for finish, BEFORE you start carving.  Your gun will have plenty of wood left for carving at that point.  Being your first ( I assume) will most likely have too much wood left.
Relief carving is only about 1/32" thick at most.  Blend it in with the background, and no one will know.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 03:25:31 AM »
Gary Brumfield's website, "flintriflesmith.com" shows step by step his process for carving.  It's an excellent tutorial.  http://www.flintriflesmith.com/  Go to "tools and techniques."  The link to the PowerPoint tutorial is in the last paragraph.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 03:38:25 AM »
You have to whisker before carving.   It will take at least three whiskerings, possibly a good many more until the grain doesn't raise anymore. 

Offline Justin

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 04:51:53 AM »
Cool. Thanks everyone!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 02:23:41 PM »
I'm about at the point where I have everything attached to my rifle kit and I want to start laying out mouldings and carvings. I won't be starting to cut wood until I feel good about my patterns and I also will be practicing on scrap wood.

However, none of my reference materials are super clear about whether I should be completing "final sanding" o the entire stock before carving anything. For example, I have the DVD that Chambers sells featuring Jim Turpin. He sands the butt plate and then adds his moulding on the butt plate up to the trigger. So that part is clear but he doesn't seem to do any mouldings around his lock plate. It seems mostly obvious that you'd want to sand before doing any moulding but I also want to add beavertails off my lock plate and I don't want to sand away all the wood I'd need to form those.

Should I just be sure to leave enough wood in these areas when sanding down to 320 grit so that I will have enough wood for these relief carving features?

Probably a dumb question and I think I know the answer but I wanted to get clarification from folks who know better before proceeding. Thanks for clarifying for this newbie.
You don't use sand paper to remove wood. Use rasps and files to remove wood to the point you'll start to sand or scrape. That kit you're doing has a lot of wood removal to do before you get out your sand paper. Once you have sanded and/or scraped you can do your carving with whiskerings in between. then you'll have to sand/scrape around your carving with more whiskering in between. I have on occasion not sanded or whiskered before carving as I take away more wood during relief carving than I leave anyway.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?