Author Topic: New kit!  (Read 14812 times)

Offline al56

Re: New kit!
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 06:09:36 AM »
Left handed?

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 08:22:53 AM »
Chowmi

dang, you ordered one????

I know you got your Christian Springs rifle close to being done.  Why would you want one of these?????

The only reason I ask is I am REALLY having a hard time not ordering one in .54 cal as well.  Been fighting it all week. 

My reasoning is that I have a perfectly great rifle that Mitch built me that does not get out very much, so why would I order one of THESE??

Now you just shot all to heck my reasoning.

Thanks a lot.

Fleener

Fleener,
you are welcome!!  I'm sure you will be glad when you just submit to temptation like I did.

To be honest, I did it for several reasons.  My current build, is an attempt at a copy of a specific rifle, and I expect my next two guns will also be copy attempts.  The Kibler Colonial rifle gives me license to branch out and try decorating a rifle "in the style/period of...." and come up with my own design.  Something I've never done. 
I also just couldn't resist having one that goes together so well, so quickly that I can get on with the artistic part.
Lastly, I don't get to handle originals much, and his kits are so close and precise in shaping that I figured its a good way to have an example of a well shaped gun.

Cheers,
Chowmi
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline AsMs

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 02:43:41 AM »
What is the barrel length?

Please do a Lehigh next.

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2017, 03:08:45 AM »
What is the barrel length?

Please do a Lehigh next.

Here are some details from his website:

50 and 54 caliber
Maple, Walnut, Cherry or provide your own stock
Chamber's Colonial Virginia Lock
Rice 43 1/4" Swamped, Custom Profile,1 1/8" at the breech

Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

ddoyle

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2017, 03:17:07 AM »
Left handed?

We can wish and hope-

draton2681

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2017, 06:05:11 AM »
Jim,I'm thinking you missed my questions on page 1. To the top. Thanks

Offline KC

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2017, 03:44:45 PM »
Lastly, I don't get to handle originals much, and his kits are so close and precise in shaping that I figured its a good way to have an example of a well shaped gun.

This is exactly why I want one. I thought this might help me get the shaping right (or at least close) on a rifle I'm working on. Plus, if it's as finely produced as the SMR kit, I know it'll turn out well and be an excellent rifle to own.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2017, 04:03:05 PM »
Jim,I'm thinking you missed my questions on page 1. To the top. Thanks

Yes, a spring catch for the wood box will be included.  The box lid will be completely machined to accept this. 

The trigger will be pinned through the stock.  The holes will already be drilled in the stock as well as the trigger.  A nice pull shouldn’t be a problem.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2017, 11:38:25 PM »
This kit should even be possible for ME to build!  I love the Colonial period guns and this kit appears to be a must-have.  I'm suitably impressed!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Kary

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2017, 11:47:36 PM »
I'll be ordering mine after the first of the year....really looking forward to seeing one of these completed.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:51:23 PM by S.kenton »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2017, 12:43:03 AM »
Hi,
For those wondering about left-hand version, Chambers Virginia fowler lock only comes right handed.  That should answer your question unless Jim is planning a version with another lock.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

JNG3

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2017, 05:57:07 AM »
If one was to build one of these, which stock wood and caliber would be most appropriate for that time period? I'm thinking walnut. Not sure on caliber.

Online J. Talbert

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2017, 05:52:04 PM »
Jim,

Looks like another winner for sure.

Great work!

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2017, 06:26:54 PM »
If one was to build one of these, which stock wood and caliber would be most appropriate for that time period? I'm thinking walnut. Not sure on caliber.

There are a handful of walnut stocked guns from this period, but maple is by far more common.  Nothing wrong with walnut though.  As to caliber, .50 or .54 is appropriate, but .54 is a little lighter and handles a touch better in my view. 

Thanks!
Jim

JNG3

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2017, 09:10:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply Mr. Kibler.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2017, 02:32:09 AM »
Jim,
It looks like another wonderful addition to the many available rifles/kits. Two questions; can double set triggers be adapted to this rifle and what is the cost difference if a buyer supplied the wood?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark

Offline Daryl

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2017, 02:50:55 AM »
THAT is one I'd like to own in .54 smooth- as smooth rifle or straight smooth bore.

Just sold the rental house - need to talk things over with "bank-of-wife".
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

marsh trapper

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2017, 03:23:59 AM »
cant wait to see some of these kits finished on here :D ..great job as always jim

ltdann

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2017, 03:26:09 AM »
Jim,
It looks like another wonderful addition to the many available rifles/kits. Two questions; can double set triggers be adapted to this rifle and what is the cost difference if a buyer supplied the wood?
Thanks,
Mark

curios about the DST as well.

Turtle

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2017, 04:48:24 PM »
A caution for experienced builders. Just started assembling mine and caught myself being rough handling the stock and tapping the barrel out when fitting the tang. I'm used to doing this inletting when the stock is a blank or an oversized shape where a little ding is removed in final shaping. There's no room for this on his stocks because they are so close to final shape.

Offline Frank

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2017, 09:47:20 PM »
A caution for experienced builders. Just started assembling mine and caught myself being rough handling the stock and tapping the barrel out when fitting the tang. I'm used to doing this inletting when the stock is a blank or an oversized shape where a little ding is removed in final shaping. There's no room for this on his stocks because they are so close to final shape.

Wow, You got yours already. Ordered mine at 7:30 am on Dec 11. Guess I should have checked my email before I went to bed.  :)  Jim sent the notice out at 10:05 pm on Dec 10th.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2017, 10:26:42 PM »
These kits should be a great option for anyone building a rifle for an organization fund raiser. Great quality and fast assembly to take up less of the gunsmith's time.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2017, 11:07:27 PM »
Jim,
Thanks,
Mark

curios about the DST as well.

Yes, double set triggers can be fit to this kit.  If this is desired, we will leave off the trigger and guard inlet so the builder can use their choice of triggers and place the guard appropriately.  I will probably offer a set trigger option in time.

If the customer supplies their own wood there is a $60 discount.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2017, 11:08:44 PM »
These kits should be a great option for anyone building a rifle for an organization fund raiser. Great quality and fast assembly to take up less of the gunsmith's time.

If anyone would like to purchase a kit for a fundraiser, let us know.  We will offer a sizable discount.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline ScottH

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2018, 10:41:58 PM »
Back to the top  ;)

Jim,
 Wondering if you had any updates to share regarding this Colonial Rifle kit?
Perhaps a finished sample? When will shipping start?

Thanks!
Scott