Author Topic: Something to do  (Read 7004 times)

Offline flehto

Something to do
« on: December 13, 2017, 04:04:50 PM »
With the passing of my wife in Nov., the days are long so I finally restarted the work on a Bucks County LR that  has laid idle for 4 yrs.  The stock is about 80%  shaped and all components are inletted and installed  except that the Mcap, cheek star, toeplate and Pbox aren't made yet. The stock was from a blank.

Started making the front plate of the Mcap for the 2nd time and found that using my new, 3-1/2X  Opti Visor w/ a led light frame is annoying to use because of the 4" focal length.....the 3-1/2X is needed because of the macular degeneration in both eyes. Will be at it again this AM and hopefully can get it done......lucky thing that I don't make a living building MLers as did the original makers and as the many  contemporary, full time makers do today.

Judging from the fact that many original makers became tavern owners, farmers and blacksmiths prematurely,  poor eyesight  possibly was the reason......Fred

« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 04:30:58 PM by flehto »

n stephenson

Re: Something to do
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 04:34:55 PM »
Fred, Sorry to hear about your wife. Glad to hear , that your back at it! I have always enjoyed your work! I too like the Bucks/ LeHighs. I sometimes find that my best "therapy" sessions are when I`m in my shop with my focus on the task at hand. Keep us posted , I know you will turn out one , that we will all want to see. Thanks Nate
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 06:27:54 PM by n stephenson »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 05:52:11 PM »
Sorry to hear of your wife's passing Fred, I must have missed that somehow. I understand the failing eyesight issue, I can still do good work, but I have to struggle to get in the right range to see. It's a real pain in the neck! (literally!) It's good you're going back to work, a man has to have something to do.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 06:21:15 PM »
Condolences on your loss Fred. I too like most of us here, live with the optivisors, I am still at 2.75 but starting to eye the ol'# 10's.
Just think how fortunate the early gunmakers in this country were. At least after they lost their eyesight, they had a chance to buy land, farm or open a business. In Europe, they tended to get thrown into the streets when they could no longer work. Just think of the eye strain in those poorly lit shops. Best of luck on your project.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 06:27:59 PM »
Sorry to hear about your wife Fred, I know how it is as I lost mine to cancer 4 years ago. Building guns and bows kept me from going nuts. It is good to see you are taking up your tools again, it does help to have something else to concentrate on.

Spinner

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 06:33:16 PM »
Very sorry to hear of your loss, Fred.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 07:08:15 PM »
Hi Fred,
I did not know your wife died.  I am very sorry. I wish you strength, health, and the best.  The magnification issue is a pain.  There are binocular-type glasses (some doctors use them) that magnify but allow a longer distance for focus. The problem is they also magnify movement.  The other thing to pay attention to is lighting.  You may need brighter lighting than in the past.  Good luck Fred and keep building.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 07:14:00 PM »
 Fred you have my condolences. I also find time in my shop very healing when I need time....But as smarting says...better lighting helps a great deal...take care..Oldtravler

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 07:51:48 PM »
Most sorry to here of your loss. I can only imagine how hard this must be. I am glad that you are back at your bench. Keep on keeping on.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Online bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 08:20:01 PM »
Fred I am very sorry for your loss. Losing a loved one is very hard a spouse is even harder. I pray the Lord will guide you and give you peace.

I am very glad that you decided to return and finish this project. I do build for a living and enjoy it very much but I have always enjoyed seeing your builds. You are a very talented builder and this community of long rifle builders have been fortunate that you are part of our group. Please keep us posted as you progress on this project.

Jim 
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 08:31:12 PM »
Sorry to hear of your loss. Loosing a loved one is very painful and leaves a large void in your heart. Glad to hear you are keeping busy - be strong.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 09:57:19 PM »
Fred,
I did not know your wife died, so sorry to hear that. May God give His peace to you and all that mourn her death.

I hope you can stay busy in your shop and turn out more of those nice longrifles that you have shown us.
Kind regards,
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

greybeard

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 10:11:47 PM »
Fred. I guess none of us knew of your loss and I am so sorry. Time heals our grief.
  My thoughts and prayers are for you at this trying time. Show us the progress in what will be a fine rifle gun. May God bless my friend.   Bob

Offline snapper

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 05:18:47 AM »
Fred

I am very sorry to hear of your wife's passing.

I am very excited to see the rifle in progress and the finished product.  I really like your builds. 

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline flehto

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 05:38:20 AM »
Thanks to all for your concerns ....My wife had Alzheimers for 4-1/2 yrs and except for the last 2 mos at the nursing home , was cared for by me and also periodically by my 5 kids. She was home which I think she appreciated. We were married 60 yrs and 1 month.

The gun work will take some time to get into  again......hopefully the 2 Optivisors will help in getting some rifles built.

Again...thanks......Fred

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 05:47:10 AM »
My sympathies, Fred.  I switched to LED lighting, which helps a lot.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 10:13:05 AM »
Fred,
I did not hear of your wife's passing and send my prayers for strength, comfort and peace that only God can give. The loss of a loved one leaves a deep void in our soul and I can not imagine how it hurts to lose your best friend. I will keep you in my prayers.
Like all of the previous members have said, it is good you have begun building again as it is great therapy in it gets ones focus off life's problems and on the task at hand. I have always loved your style and too am a Bucks County fan! I hope you will share many of your progression building with us and we all can learn more techniques from you.
All our prayers are with you and your family.
elkhorne

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 01:55:19 PM »
Fred,
I knew your wife was not well but had not heard of her passing.  Our condolences.  I am glad to see such a talented fellow back at the bench.
James

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 03:20:50 PM »
I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a spouse is a very hard part of life. The best thing you can do is stay busy.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 04:21:19 PM »
God bless, Fred.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 06:56:17 PM »
 I'm sorry to hear about your wife Fred. I know it is hard for you. I almost lost mine also. She had four operations within a 6 week period. You are one of my favorite builders. Please keep it up as long as you can. 
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 08:43:57 PM »
Fred:  pls. accept my condolences...how empty this must make you feel.

But you are blessed with such talent and drive.  These builds require natural and learned skills and perseverance lots of people don't have.  It is wonderful that you are back 'at it'.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

ddoyle

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 09:46:33 PM »
 I hope busy hands and mind will help make it a little easier to find some respite from the woe. Take care of your self as well as she would have wanted.

Thanks for sharing and be certain that what you have to teach by doing so is appreciated.

Offline Mike New

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 12:48:26 AM »
Mr Fletho I am very sorry. Please keep building. M. New

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 02:27:41 AM »
My sincere condolences Fred.
Hope you can keep up that great work.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell