Author Topic: For your eyes only  (Read 39615 times)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: For your eyes only
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2008, 08:50:25 PM »
Beautiful, everything. In-letting that cheek piece must have been, well, whew,..... great job!
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2008, 09:02:24 PM »
Great work all around. Cody did you design the patchbox or copy it from some original. I think it is the most pleasing patchbox I have everseen.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2008, 09:26:03 PM »
Cody did you design the patchbox or copy it from some original.

Sorry man, the box is also plagerized from the same gun as the carving. I made a few minor changes due to personal taste like adding the three piercings to each side plate (I find pierced inlays easier to inlet) but the basic design is one used quite alot by Kuntz and Rupp the younger. This gun (attributed to Rupp) as well as another are listed in Kentucky rifles and pistols.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2008, 11:24:30 PM »
Well his is far better than I could do..but yours is elegant! In design and engraving.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2008, 11:53:36 PM »
Hey Cody, Thats beautiful work !

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2008, 04:56:58 AM »
Cody, when the picture opened, my first thought was "#@!! $#@*!"  Just splendid.  Now, are there more than two pictures there?...I still have a bunch of blue ? in little squares, and I assume they are pictures that didn't upload.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

FlintRock Rob

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2008, 07:50:09 AM »
Cody, fantastic job! That carving is stunning, I really like the bit around the tang. I also like your modifications to the patchbox, the piercings really add some zing, as does the smaller piercing in the finial - much more graceful than the Rupp  ;)

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2008, 03:48:58 PM »
Cody, when the picture opened, my first thought was "#@!! $#@*!"  Just splendid.  Now, are there more than two pictures there?...I still have a bunch of blue ? in little squares, and I assume they are pictures that didn't upload.

Taylor,
Sometimes just clicking the "refresh" or "reload"icon on you web browser will give the computer a little jolt to load missing imasges.
Try it... it should load them. Sometimes when a brower request a page there is a delay which can cause images not to load the first time. This may be the situation you are seeing.
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

lew wetzel

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2008, 07:21:42 PM »
i keep coming back to view this awesome rifle you have put together..very impressive cody....

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2008, 08:01:05 PM »
Yeah, and the disgusting thing about it is when he says he doesn't think his engraving or caving are any good - he MEANS it!  I should be that "bad".  :'(
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2008, 12:51:49 AM »
Cody,
This is very nice work. I just signed up for the new site. You should not be embrassed to show your work to the masses. I think you are doing a really fine job. Do you use a power engraver? or traditional hammer and chisel? Either way really fine work.
Marc

Leatherbelly

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2008, 02:41:26 AM »
Cody,
 Geez Man,these guys sure like to pick on you! And what's a  wizzKerplook?Some kinda carving technique? or tool? or secret code? Any how, where's the rest of this rifling gun? Did ya bust it in half? Zat why you're being shy? Looks good so far but I'm not commenting till I see the rest(after you glue it back together.)Need glue? The stuff I'm sniffing works good!hehehe

I like the two little birdies behind the cheek!

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2008, 04:53:31 AM »
Cody,
Great work!  Like VaRiflegun, I don't know which I like better, the carving or the engraving.  I do like the way that flower looks like it's growing up over the rear of the cheekpiece. Also really like the carving around the tang.

-Joe

Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2008, 05:39:11 AM »

I like the two little birdies behind the cheek!

"the two little birdies" are doves. You'll notice that they don't have tails. Not to worry tho', I'll put the two dovetails under the sights :D.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I hope the finished product will live up to everyone's apparent expectations. Actually, that's a lie, I only hope that it lives up to MY expectations ;D.

Offline mountainman

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2008, 06:03:41 AM »
Nice work my friend! Very very beautiful! 8)

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2008, 07:20:11 AM »
I'm really looking forward to seeing this one when it's finished.

ironwolf

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2008, 02:15:02 PM »
Beautiful work, Cody. In your carving, do you clean up the cuts or are the initial cuts so sharp as to be 'finished' ?
Thanks for the pics.
Kevin W

Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2008, 05:23:46 AM »
Marc, the engraveing was done with a gravermach.

Kevin, I did the initial cutting with a veiner (except the crosshatching wich was done with a V parting tool) then, I went back and shaved the sharp edges off and added some dimention with a small flat.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2008, 04:41:39 PM »
Mr. Tetachuk, you sure know how to ruin a beginners morning!  I pick a gun to build that I've never seen anyone do before and when I log onto the new site not only do I see one, but one done a thousand times better than I can do!!   ;)  Your work is awesome. 

For a look at what a hack will try on his second gun, here's some in progress pics of mine.  I do things a bit different (although I do the lock panels back first as well - all the guys I build with taught me to do it that way, didn't know there was any way different!), and have much lesser tools so far to work with.  Do my incise lines with a wood burner first, then a v tool.  The cross hatching in the carving I was probably going to leave just with the wood burner lines, although I relieved it a bit so it's recessed from the rest of the carving.

And I'm doing mine with all silver trim.  I know, not PC, but I wanted to try it.  Just started the engraving, but it's my first attempt and NOTHING like what you've got.  Just doing the simple pattern that came with patchbox from MBS.  I was, however, feeling pretty good about it until I saw this thread.   :'(

All I've had to go by are the pics in the 'Kentucky' book, some of them are hard to see.  I've got them blown up on my laptop but still not the best.  Are you doing those fancy inlays on the forearm and above the toeplate?

Dave
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

lew wetzel

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2008, 11:10:15 PM »
osprey,i feel your pain ,but yours dont look that bad.i have been practicing on scrap wood and at the rate im going i should be collecting social security by the time i get as good as some of these fellas.im only 35!!!!i think unless you can spend a couple weeks with someone real good and learning from them on a daily basis it will take along time to really master carving and engraving.as long as you meet your expectations of what the end result will be,dont sweat it...

Online J. Talbert

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2008, 11:57:11 PM »
Cody,

I'm a little late to the game on this one, but great work all the same.  Looking forward to seeing the finished gun.  It looks like it'll be awesome.

There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Frank

« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2008, 06:52:49 AM »
Very nice.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2008, 01:03:14 PM »
Beautimous  ;D

don getz

« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2008, 04:20:39 PM »
Cody.....that's some pretty awesome stuff.  Glad to see that you got that other window installed in the Igloo....Don

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2008, 07:18:28 PM »
"Question, is a "New Yorker" someone from the state, the city, or just a POS Chrysler?. "

A "New Yorker" is someone from the city and environs.

An "Upstater" or "Upstate New Yorker" is someone from generally north and west of the lower Catskills.

Or an old term my grandfather used to say (and I sometimes still do), just a "York Stater" for an Upstater.  And we lived in "York State".

That's all I'm qualified to comment on in this thread.  Can't wait to see finish on Cody's rifle.

Best regards,
Dale