Author Topic: Tennessee Style Mounts  (Read 2463 times)

Offline KC

Tennessee Style Mounts
« on: December 14, 2017, 09:18:25 PM »
I've been wanting to make some parts for a Tennessee style rifle I've been collecting parts for. I wanted to work on the butt plate because I just got a neat swage that looks like it will be helpful. I have a cast steel butt plate from TOTW and pulled some patterns from it to make a two piece butt plate from sheet steel. I was wondering what would be an appropriate gauge of sheet steel to start with. I wanted to use 14 ga. but could only find 16 ga. at my local hardware store. Is 16 ga. going to be too thin?

Also, I had made some ram rod thimbles from 22 ga. steel because that's all I had, is 22 ga. going to be thick enough or should I try something like 20 ga.?

I've noticed my hardware store never has the gauge of sheet steel I'm looking for.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline flinchrocket

Re: Tennessee Style Mounts
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 11:38:53 PM »
I think 1/8 would be better. I made a early wide steel buttplate out 14 ga and it was pretty flimsy when it came time to inlet. Also,you will lose a little material when you clean it up.

Offline KC

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 12:20:08 AM »
Thanks, so 16 ga. is probably a waste of time. I can make some nice templates out of it I guess.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 12:32:46 AM »
I'm pretty sure Mark Brier makes his Hawken  buttplates out of 1/8. You could use the 16 ga for a couple practice pieces and see how they work out, but I think you will find them a little thin.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 12:36:14 AM by flinchrocket »

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 01:44:46 AM »
I like to use something in the .090" to .100" thickness range for both the plate and the return on TN style butt plates.  If I am going to file some facets on the return then I use .125" for the return.
David

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 02:24:17 AM »
I use 1/8" blanks for my butt pieces.

Offline KC

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 03:13:52 AM »
Thanks for all the input. There was a rifle posted here awhile back and the guy that made that butt plate told me he used 14 ga. and I believe he cold formed it. I agree and think I’d probably like the results better if made from 1/8” steel. I have a piece that should be wide enough for the plate and return, I think I’ll cut out the pieces and see how that goes. 
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 06:36:49 AM »
Be aware that the piece stretches both ways even just imparting a curve to it.   Make your blank a little under size unless you want to file off a lot.   You should taper the edges (by forging) which will stretch the blank even more.  Just to be clear,  I forge hot.    For the plate,  I use a swage block to fold it lengthwise.   Then I hammer that curve down on the flat on the anvil to get the plate to curve around crosswise.   I don't completely hammer out the first curve.  I finish the top of the curve around the horn.   The heel is real simple in that it is just one fold/curve hammered into the swage block.   If it takes more that a few heats to completely forge your butt piece,  you are doing something wrong. 

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 08:49:46 PM »
I no longer make my buttplates out of two pieces. I got a set of Southern mountain hardware from an old rifle that burned up in a fire, that had a beautiful hand forged buttplate. I was shocked to find it wasn’t riveted, and brazed together. It simply had a waste filed, or forged at the juncture of the buttplate, and the heal, that was filed to fit when folded, and forge brazed. That would almost eliminate the parts creeping when the brass flows.

Hungry Horse