Author Topic: Interesting Navy Arms/Ithaca Hawken  (Read 3720 times)

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
Interesting Navy Arms/Ithaca Hawken
« on: December 26, 2017, 04:42:13 AM »
mountainman70's recent post about his Ithaca Hawken reminded me that I had some questions about one in my collection.

IMG 3660 low res" border="0
IMG 3641 low res" border="0

As you can see in the photos, this is a flintlock version.  When I acquired it, it was still in its original box and included some of the original paperwork.  I didn't even know Navy Arms had offered a flintlock version.

IMG 3649 low res" border="0

It has a unique lock that I hadn't seen before on any contemporary rifle.

IMG 3640 low res" border="0

It appears that Navy Arms spent some time and resources in the development of a flint version of the old Cherry Corners lock normally found on Ithaca and Navy Arms/Ithaca Hawken rifles.

IMG 3674 low res" border="0

The internals appear to be the same or close to the Cherry Corners internals.  The lock plate has a integral pan and bridle for the frizzen, but it is the same size and shape as the percussion lock.  Navy Arms would have had to develop new molds and tooling for the lock plate, cock, and frizzen.

I was wondering if anyone has seen one of these flintlock Navy Arms/Ithaca Hawken rifles before or maybe have an old Navy Arms catalog that lists it?
Phil Meek

Offline OLUT

Re: Interesting Navy Arms/Ithaca Hawken
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 08:31:47 PM »
Per your request for the Navy Arms catalog, I will TRY to attach a photo of the Flint Hawken . Note that your gun made it onto the cover

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 07:12:07 PM »
Phil, it is interesting to see just what is still out there to be scarfed up. Dang nice flinter. Happy new Year to ye !!!
Just whittling an a sanding in the WV hills, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 09:09:52 PM »
Per your request for the Navy Arms catalog, I will TRY to attach a photo of the Flint Hawken . Note that your gun made it onto the cover

Thanks, OLUT.  That's what I was hoping to find out.  Do you know what year your catalog was issued?

Phil, it is interesting to see just what is still out there to be scarfed up. Dang nice flinter. Happy new Year to ye !!!
Just whittling an a sanding in the WV hills, Dave F 8) 8)

Yep Dave, these guns are coming out of closets and safes as people are getting older and/or passing.
Phil Meek

Offline OLUT

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 10:15:12 PM »
Mtn Meek, no date on the Navy Arms catalog, but it is from the early 1980's (I found it next to my 1982 CVA catalog). if you are interested in the development of this specific Hawken from Cherry Corners through Ithaca to Navy Arms, go to the GRRW web site.....  this attached info from them may be pertinent to your dating question