Author Topic: CVA Hawkens from the Early 80's...Questions  (Read 5897 times)

Offline tippit

CVA Hawkens from the Early 80's...Questions
« on: December 26, 2017, 05:37:23 PM »
I have two CVA Hawken's rifles from the early 80's...percussion 45 cal and a partially finished kit flintlock 50 cal. (never been shot &  missing a front sight).  I shot the 45 cal twice then I got into shooting English muzzleloader side X sides and never returned to these rifles.  They are just taking up space in my safe.  I know they were cheap but have no idea how much they are worth?

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: CVA Hawkens from the Early 80's...Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 05:59:18 PM »
Price is relative for something like this. I wouldn't give you anything for them. But others would probably figure they're worth $350-$400. The barrels shoot incredibly well.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 06:03:49 PM »
Well for starters, they aren’t Hawken’s. The top one is a second generation CVA Mountain Rifle, and the bottom one is a CVA Fronteir Rifle. Neither CVA, or Traditions, that bought them out, still build the old Mountain Rifle ( but I have seen it offered by someone else in magazines). They are a good shooting gun, but the locks wear out pretty fast, if you shoot them a lot. I wore a Mountain Rifle like that one out. It was nearly a smoothbore when I traded it to a neighbor for a chainsaw.
 If you check EBay you can get a feel for what they are worth, although they are often broken down to component parts to dodge the rules.

Hungry Horse

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 06:12:47 PM »
This is another "willing seller,willing buyer" situation. They were low $ guns to begin
with and the kind a hunter could use instead of a fine custom rifle that he really doesn't want
to scratch up or risk dropping it.

Bob Roller

Offline VJM

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 06:22:40 PM »
Gunbroker is a site that can help you get a feel for value of these as well. There is a little interest for the Mountain rifle out there, more so if it were an earlier USA made model.

Offline tippit

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 07:51:33 PM »
I just been bitten pretty hard by the really nice custom rifles and fowlers with in the past 6 months...40cal, 54cal, and a 20ga.  So I figured someone might like these as they are in mint condition...just looking to sell for a fair price as I won't be using them.  How do you know if American made?  The mountain rifle serial #0085932  the frontier rifle serial #0025258.

Thanks for all the help and education...tippit
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:59:24 PM by tippit »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 09:52:29 PM »
I don’t think the locks on these guns were ever made here. But, the Mountain Rifle stands a good chance of being American made. The Frontier Rifle came out later, and could be made over seas, or here, depending on when.

Hungry Horse