Author Topic: Pan Brush Bristles  (Read 8469 times)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Re: Pan Brush Bristles
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 01:51:41 PM »
They're easy enough to make, there are some good suggestions here and I have some decorative ones I bought hanging from all my hunting bag straps, but I have never had to use one. 

It's the touch hole pic that I always turn to.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 06:00:34 PM »
I also only use the brush to clear out the pan, when I want to render the weapon safe. Now as for the vent pick, I kind of feel like if you are constantly using the lug wrench on your car, there is probably something wrong with your car. Same goes for your flintlock. The guys that I know that are constantly changing vent liners, are the same guys that are constantly reaming their touch hole with a vent pick.

Hungry Horse

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 10:50:09 PM »
Why...Famished Equine, you madcap...Didn't say I use the pick a lot ( maybe once or twice in about 80 shots or so )  but more so I never use the brush.  IN any case the one pictured in this thread is pretty good looking.

Black Hand

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 06:32:53 AM »
The guys that I know that are constantly changing vent liners, are the same guys that are constantly reaming their touch hole with a vent pick.
Maybe they should stop using those elaborate, hardened, 4-sided fantasy vent picks and use a simple mild steel/copper/brass wire...

JVavrek

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 05:39:45 AM »
Turkey beards are common around here. Just drill out a tine and epoxy the beard in and trim to your liking. Work very well and last for ever. this one has been in my bag for as long as i can remember.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2018, 07:57:29 PM »
 I put a vent liner into a gun that the owner had bought as a percussion gun, but wanted it converted to flint. About a year later he came to me and said his gun  still had lightning fast ignition, but the main charge leaked out and self primed the pan. I looked at the liner, and sure enough it was quite enlarged. It told him I had never seen a liner burn out so soon. I then had an epiphany, and asked to see his vent pick. It was a fancy little thing with beads for a handle. The wire was a tip cleaner for a cutting torch. It serrated shaft had wallowed out the touch hole in just one year of normal shooting.

Hungry Horse

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2018, 11:25:24 PM »
I put a vent liner into a gun that the owner had bought as a percussion gun, but wanted it converted to flint. About a year later he came to me and said his gun  still had lightning fast ignition, but the main charge leaked out and self primed the pan. I looked at the liner, and sure enough it was quite enlarged. It told him I had never seen a liner burn out so soon. I then had an epiphany, and asked to see his vent pick. It was a fancy little thing with beads for a handle. The wire was a tip cleaner for a cutting torch. It serrated shaft had wallowed out the touch hole in just one year of normal shooting.

Hungry Horse

I am a member of the brass wire club. It just needs to get a little bit of fouling out of the touch hole.
Psalms 144

Mike in Oz

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2018, 11:35:57 AM »
I made up a whole batch of these one winter with a little chain attached and a copper pick wire on the other end. i found them quite useful. I rolled a little tube out of thin brass and soldered a cap on one end. I drilled a hole in the cap for a piece of heavy wire to pass through. I made a loop in the wire around a hank of horsehair, pushed the wire into the hole and pulled the loop up into the tube. I put on as much hair as I could and still pull the loop in the ferrule. I then formed a loop on the other end of the wire and soldered it shut. No need for glue, it is locked in. I trimmed the ends of the horsehair bristles even with a good pair of shears and they made dandy little pan brushes.

Hey David,

Do you still have any of these sets kicking around that you'd like to move on?

If you do, send me a pm so we can chat.....  ;)

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2018, 03:21:55 AM »
Mike I still have one I use but the rest went away as gifts or blanket prizes. Maybe I will get around to making some more one day.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA