Author Topic: File Filosophy  (Read 7700 times)

Offline JCKelly

File Filosophy
« on: January 03, 2018, 03:12:00 AM »
The 1928 version of this Nicholson File classic is on the net here:

https://archive.org/stream/NicholsonFilePhilosophy1928/Nicholson%20File%20Philosophy%201928_djvu.txt

I have one circa 1975 buried in the attic. Just now looked at prices for used ones. Think its time to rake out the attic & search for mine.

These little booklets were written by those who well knew how a file should be used, from a time when they were more highly regarded in American industry than today. Includes really basic stuff, you guys may know but many I have observed do not.

Offline JCKelly

Re: File Filosophy
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 03:23:53 AM »
Whoops!  A much more practical site is below. You can download the thing as printed. Forget that first website.
But do read File Filosophy

https://ia801302.us.archive.org/30/items/NicholsonFilePhilosophy1928/Nicholson%20File%20Philosophy%201928.pdf

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 04:04:04 AM »
Interesting read. Thanks.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 04:23:29 AM »
hey that is neat, thanks
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 04:10:18 AM »
Kind of interesting to read their comments on mill files; "Principally used for sharpening mill-saws; also mowing machine knives and plows; in machine shops for lathe work, draw-filing, and, to some extent, finishing the several compositions of brass and bronze."

It seems like 3/4 plus files one finds these days are mill files of various sizes, with the triangular files making up a significant portion of the remainder. This is true even when I am combing through boxes of old files at the flea market, where one would expect more variety among the shapes. I wonder how the mill file, which seems like a more specialized shape than a plain old flat file, became the default standard?
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 05:50:55 AM »
Thanks, I like file work.  Now let me go see if I been doing it right.   :P

I'm sure I'll learn a thing or three.   ;)

__edit__ not even half-way through the 1928 treatise (52 pages) and love it. Download fer sure.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 06:24:29 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

ClaudeH

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 04:04:46 AM »
This scan of the 1920 edition includes the illustrations

http://www.wewilliams.net/docs/1920%20-%20File%20Filosophy%20by%20Nicholson%20File%20Co.-%2011th%20Ed.pdf

Oops!  I didn't see JCKelly's second link.  That one is better yet.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 07:33:37 AM by In Over My Head »

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 03:38:24 AM »
A fascinating read, JCKelly, especially in light of my considering an attempt at making some of my own files.  I still have to acquire the proper stock first, and then I will make the attempt, once I make some chisels to help accomplish the job.

M. E. Pering

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 05:24:59 PM »
Aaaaand, I suppose the only thing I can add is how great an acetic acid soak works to restore the cutting action of a file (and de-rust anydarn thing).   In case anyone missed that (there's a thread 'round here sommers).

8)
Hold to the Wind

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 09:41:22 AM »
Thanks JC, that is really interesting. Knowledge that will be of benefit to all of us. A true treasure for our too. Library.
elkhorne

Offline John Shaw

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 05:18:12 AM »
I just downloaded the file file ( ::)) and will read it later. The question that has been on my mind forever is how was the first file made. Was it made with a chisel that had been sharpened on a rock because there was no file to sharpen the chisel? Interesting question.

JS

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 03:27:39 AM »
hmm kind of a chicken or the egg question...which came first the file or the chisel???

some of us may be up all night pondering this! :-\ :o ???

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 04:36:03 AM »
Well a chisel could be easily formed without a file, but you would need some type chisel to raise file teeth.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 05:42:56 AM »
Ancient Egyptians used copper chisels.  I don’t remember ever seeing anything on them using files.  Wait a second, it’s on the tube right now that aliens built the pyramids with lasers. Scratch my thought.

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 07:44:14 AM »
they probably used the lasers to cut the first files which were then used to make the first chisel!

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 05:40:53 PM »
Maybe the first file was just a real rough job with a cutting torch....   :-)

For removing a lot of meat from a barrel, I made a file into a draw-knife and it shaves metal off faster than filing.   Maybe not H-C, but not sure on that.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 04:22:05 PM »
Maybe the first file was just a real rough job with a cutting torch....   :-)

For removing a lot of meat from a barrel, I made a file into a draw-knife and it shaves metal off faster than filing.   Maybe not H-C, but not sure on that.

If it works who cares?I have a wide assortment of files including a *Baiter pillar file with a #8 cut.
Baiter,the Swiss maker says that is 233 teeth per inch. I also have another one,an IXL that seems
to be even finer cut.Good tools,careful and planned work frequently leads to  the satisfaction of a
well done job.*Baiter,pronounced byter.

Bob Roller
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 03:52:51 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline KC

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 08:36:19 PM »

I recall reading in Foxfire 5 in an interview with one of the gunsmiths and they talked about a high quality wrought iron that was produced in the area. He said it was real "velvety" and they used draw knives on it to shave down the flats in the barrels. I'll have to re-read it to see what time period they were talking about but it sounds like there's historical precedent.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL