Author Topic: File Filosophy  (Read 2373 times)

Offline JCKelly

File Filosophy
« on: January 03, 2018, 03:12:00 AM »
The 1928 version of this Nicholson File classic is on the net here:

https://archive.org/stream/NicholsonFilePhilosophy1928/Nicholson%20File%20Philosophy%201928_djvu.txt

I have one circa 1975 buried in the attic. Just now looked at prices for used ones. Think its time to rake out the attic & search for mine.

These little booklets were written by those who well knew how a file should be used, from a time when they were more highly regarded in American industry than today. Includes really basic stuff, you guys may know but many I have observed do not.

Offline JCKelly

Re: File Filosophy
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 03:23:53 AM »
Whoops!  A much more practical site is below. You can download the thing as printed. Forget that first website.
But do read File Filosophy

https://ia801302.us.archive.org/30/items/NicholsonFilePhilosophy1928/Nicholson%20File%20Philosophy%201928.pdf

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 04:04:04 AM »
Interesting read. Thanks.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline David R.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 04:23:29 AM »
hey that is neat, thanks
I would have no quarrel with thee if thou be a friend of liberty.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 04:10:18 AM »
Kind of interesting to read their comments on mill files; "Principally used for sharpening mill-saws; also mowing machine knives and plows; in machine shops for lathe work, draw-filing, and, to some extent, finishing the several compositions of brass and bronze."

It seems like 3/4 plus files one finds these days are mill files of various sizes, with the triangular files making up a significant portion of the remainder. This is true even when I am combing through boxes of old files at the flea market, where one would expect more variety among the shapes. I wonder how the mill file, which seems like a more specialized shape than a plain old flat file, became the default standard?
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying...cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 05:50:55 AM »
Thanks, I like file work.  Now let me go see if I been doing it right.   :P

I'm sure I'll learn a thing or three.   ;)

__edit__ not even half-way through the 1928 treatise (52 pages) and love it. Download fer sure.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 06:24:29 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline In Over My Head

• Claude Heale
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 04:04:46 AM »
This scan of the 1920 edition includes the illustrations

http://www.wewilliams.net/docs/1920%20-%20File%20Filosophy%20by%20Nicholson%20File%20Co.-%2011th%20Ed.pdf

Oops!  I didn't see JCKelly's second link.  That one is better yet.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 07:33:37 AM by In Over My Head »

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 03:38:24 AM »
A fascinating read, JCKelly, especially in light of my considering an attempt at making some of my own files.  I still have to acquire the proper stock first, and then I will make the attempt, once I make some chisels to help accomplish the job.

M. E. Pering

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 05:24:59 PM »
Aaaaand, I suppose the only thing I can add is how great an acetic acid soak works to restore the cutting action of a file (and de-rust anydarn thing).   In case anyone missed that (there's a thread 'round here sommers).

8)
Hold to the Wind