Author Topic: Trying to Convince Myself...Finish or Buy a Kibler Rifle  (Read 4981 times)

Offline tippit

Trying to Convince Myself...Finish or Buy a Kibler Rifle
« on: January 04, 2018, 10:53:32 PM »
After looking at all these pictures of Kibler Mountain Rifle kits, I'm trying to convince myself to try one.  The fear of screwing it up is real.  Maybe I should just forge out enough knives and build a few more longbows to buy a ready made one...tippit   

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Trying to Convince Myself...Finish or Buy a Kibler Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 10:58:53 PM »
I don't think you would have any problem with one of Jim's kits. Just take you time and follow his directions. If you run into any problems ask about it here on ALR BEFORE you do anything.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Molly

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 11:54:29 PM »
Necessary tools are a sledge hammer, crow bar, chain saw and a tooth pick or old kitchen match.  Helpful but NOT essential are an orbital sander and a ban saw.

Offline tippit

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 12:21:45 AM »
I have most of those...may need to get some tooth picks.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 12:24:12 AM »
I have most of those...may need to get some tooth picks.

You can fabricate them on the bandsaw.  :D

dp

PS; I don't believe you'll have much trouble with one of Jim's kits. Do like Dennis says...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 12:25:13 AM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 12:29:36 AM »
On Jim's site under FAQs, he states that he can provide an assembled in the white rifle for an additional sum.

Offline tippit

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 12:45:41 AM »
Ray,
I saw that...but still considering doing my own.  I do have a full blacksmith shop...maybe match up a fancy curly maple stock with one of these.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 01:33:42 AM »
  Tipper I helped my friend put one together...he has the skills of an orangutan. Only thing that was a little tricky is the long tang. Only because you have to take it in an out a couple times. As far as tools...sand paper screw driver....small gouge a hand drill...chisel..three corner file for minor touch up on dove tails an such...stain an sealer or whatever u chose to finish. At least that was our experience....other's may very

Offline tippit

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 01:44:30 AM »
OK, I think I can do this.  Now I was considering a 32 cal.  I guess they are heavier because the barrels are the same but the 32 cal is bored out the least?  Any other thoughts?  Is the Kibler 32 cal heavy in comparison to other 32's?

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 02:31:26 AM »
OK, I think I can do this.  Now I was considering a 32 cal.  I guess they are heavier because the barrels are the same but the 32 cal is bored out the least?  Any other thoughts?  Is the Kibler 32 cal heavy in comparison to other 32's?
Its not any heavier than a 32 caliber that Joe Schell built for me.  32 is my favorite caliber. So much fun to shoot.
I like mine a lot.
iloco

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 02:52:17 AM »
No, I built a 32 using my Mathew Gillespie pattern several years ago and used a 32 A profile 44 inch Rice barrel. It weighed about the same as Jim's 32 cal with his 46" barrel. A little more barrel weight in Jim's kit but his wood is slimmer in the butt area than mine was.

Compared to a straight barreled 32 of the same length Jim's will be lighter (probably much lighter due to slimness).
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tippit

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 03:34:08 AM »
Thank y'all for the help.  I'm sure if I start this process, there will be many more questions. 

Dave Patterson

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 06:26:32 AM »
For what this is worth:  coincidentally, I weighed two new barrels (both .50 cal) just yesterday evening:  one 7/8" X 42" straight; one 44" B-weight.  The longer (swamped) barrel with the much heavier breech weighed over a pound less than the shorter barrel.  The difference comes in the slim waist of the swamped barrel. 

Both these barrels are inlet into stocks:  compared to the 42" straight, the 44" swamped handles like a baton; much handier.  It's gonna make one heckuva nice boonie-stompin' rifle. 

n stephenson

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 05:02:38 PM »
Tippet, Just from the work you have posted, I don`t think you would have any problems. You have plenty of skills for this task. I have not put one together myself , but I have talked to plenty of people who have , and it is very straight forward. You can do it , and save yourself some loot at the same time. Go for it. Nate

Offline tippit

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 06:17:58 PM »
n Stephenson,
Thanks for the vote of confidence.  I am seriously thinking of trying this project on a Plain Jane rifle.  Hope I don't get too excited and carried away as I love pretty Curly Maple :)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 07:07:46 PM »
  Tipper if you can build an forge knives like this. You can build the Kibler kit...it's like Mate says...pretty straight forward...an a lot less work than your knife...98% is done for you.. Save yourself $900....an have fun putting it together...

oldfireguy

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 06:28:09 AM »
I have two left feet and 10 thumbs and was able to put one together and I just ordered one of the new ones.     

rhbrink

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 02:08:21 PM »
I'm considering one myself but wonder just how skinny those barrels are? I thinking a .40 cal mountain rifle anybody have dimensions of the barrel I see his web site says that rifle would weight around 7 pounds that seems really light for a full stock with a 46 inch barrel?

RB

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 07:24:55 PM »

I looked at the Kibler .32 at the CLA Show in Lexington 2 years ago and I thought
it was heavier than I wanted but then I have a bad "hitch"between my shoulders
and I would opt for the 45. I had one Tennessee style long rifle made for me 52
years ago by Len Meadows of Shady Springs WV with a 45x44x13/16 Bill Large
barrel,walnut cut from a barn plank,hardware from a wrecked antique and it was
a 7 pound pleasure to carry and shoot.
We had to help our son in Texas so $7000 of my gun buying money literally went
South.I will,hopefully buy one of Jim's kits but it will take time to recover from
that expenditure and we must see how much we may really owe for my wife's cancer
treatment.So far it is very little.

Bob Roller

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 07:38:03 PM »
Does the mountain rifle kit use the Rice Honaker barrel ? That is what I thought, but may be wrong.

Offline webradbury

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 09:16:15 PM »
You can do it. Longrifles are easier than longbows. Longrifles aren’t expected to bend and not break!
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!