Author Topic: Making a workbench  (Read 4565 times)

Offline Kary

Making a workbench
« on: January 22, 2018, 09:06:18 PM »
I seen a post on here a while back about making a work bench. I can't seem to find it now.What  dimensions would be the best, or general rule of thumb? I don't need a lot of space just enough to chip away on a gun or two, make a horn or three and craft items and the like. What would you guys recommend for dimensions. Btw, I'm making the bench out of 2x4s simply because I have a ton of them laying around in my barn.

Offline dogcatcher

Re: Making a workbench
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 09:43:56 PM »
My recommendation is to search Google images for "workbenches".   Save the pics of the ones you like, especially the ones that have things that you want on yours.  Compare all of the pics and then design one. 

Offline Kary

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 10:30:52 PM »
Good idea, however when working on muzzleloaders, especially when filing and rasping on a stock, is there a particular height and width that is more ergonomic? I may be overthinking this a hair...

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 12:15:38 AM »

Offline Kary

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 03:35:54 AM »
YES!!!!!!! I couldn't find that to save my life!!!!!!!!

Offline Silky921

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 06:00:36 AM »
I went to Menards once looking for one and found a kit. On the exterior of the package it listed the lumber, screws etc needed to complete it and what sizes to cut them. Made it pretty easy.

Offline Kary

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 08:25:59 PM »
Thanks silky, but I made my own workbench from the plans in my head lol, Tim, my uncle donated his stocking bench to me.. so I think I am now good to go... just got to find time to pick it up. Thanks guys!