Author Topic: Lehigh Rifle  (Read 12193 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Lehigh Rifle
« on: May 09, 2009, 09:10:19 PM »
Lehigh Rifle -  I cannot remember if this is a Jacob Kuntz or a John Rupp rifle.  The rifle was signed as I recall, but I neglected to record that - sorry.  My purpose at the time was to document the architecture with reproducing it faithfully in mind.  I was not concerned then with who made it.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Don Getz

Re: Lehigh Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 11:30:18 PM »
Taylor...once again, super photos.   Love that patchbox.   Those guys sure had a way of making things flow together,
innovative engraving, etc.    Thanks for posting.............Don

lew wetzel

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 12:08:54 AM »
taylor,will have to hoard these pics to my files....what a great rifle...thanks for sharing...

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 01:47:03 AM »
Great pictures of a fine gun Taylor, and thanks for posting them!
Whoever owns this stash of guns is one lucky guy!
John

PS. The pictures due look a little green, but then maybe that's just envy bubbling up in my eyes!
John Robbins

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 02:58:26 PM »
WOW!! What a beautiful rifle! If a fellow could be so lucky to only have just one, this would be "THE ONE"! Thank you Taylor for posting these fine pictures.
Joel Hall

Offline Gary Tucker

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 03:51:08 AM »
Taylor,
Thanks again for the great photos.  My next build is a 1790's Lehigh.  A lot of inspiration in these pics.
Gary Tucker

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 07:08:42 PM »
While I wouldn't want to build a Lehigh, I do love to look at 'em. Beautiful workmanship.  I do love the architecture of earlier Wolmsdorf- Reading makers though. Would love to own a copy of an early Haga, as illustrated on the American Historic Services page, or something inspired by RCA 21.

I do appreciate your posting these spectacular photos of an very unique style of rifle. While not my cup of tea for a shooter, they are beautiful examples of master craftsmanship.

Thanks and God bless,
J.D.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 07:26:27 PM by J.D. »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 04:40:10 AM »
Thanks again Taylor

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Joey R

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 04:29:37 AM »
Thanks again Taylor for the great pics.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

ironwolf

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 03:35:07 PM »
  Awesome piece Taylor.  I just love that but stock/wrist shape.  The wood appears rather tall at the wrist.  Is it wider than tall like other Lehigh guns?

Thanks for showing, Kevin

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 11:36:18 PM »
It has some of the styling of Peter Moll.  There seems to have been a fair amount of cooperation between some of these gunsmiths, though.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 12:05:20 AM »
Taylor......just handled a Kuntz rifle, similar to the one pictured above...almost identical patchbox.   But, same old problem,
it was almost impossible to get down far enough on the comb in order to see the sights.   Beutiful gun, if all you want to
do is look at it.  Gun belongs to Art DeCamp.............Don

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 06:23:08 AM »
A benevolent gentleman named Patrick Hornberger sent me these pictures of a rifle with lines very "Kuntzish"  He says that the name on the top of the barrel is that of Kuntz cousin, Daniel Boyer, who may have apprenticed under Jacob Kuntz.  It is a grand rifle in remarkable condition and a very worthy study for we who like Lehigh rifles.

Don, we must have different facial structure or offhand sighting styles.  I shouldered all of the Lehigh rifles that I had the privilege to view when I was last in PA, and I don't remember any that I'd have found difficult or awkward to shoot.  I'm bringing my own version of a Kuntz with me in July, so I hope you'll have an opportunity to check it out.  I've shot it.  It is sweet to hold and gentle to shoot with 65 grains of 3Fg. (.40 cal.) though I usually shoot 45 grains.

D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 02:42:41 PM »
Taylor....had about six people over at the shop when we were looking at Art's gun.....all had the same problem.   I could
get low enough to see the sights, but only by moving my head toward the rear of the stock, certainly not a normal, shooting position.   I too built a Lehigh that I can shoot, my first gun, and I used to shoot it a lot.   Even Allen has adapted
his own architecture to make them shootable....more drop.   Don't get me wrong, they are still a beautiful gun, I just don't care for the way they hold......even the way that you grip the wrist is awkward.  Sorry, you just can't beat a good
lancaster of Beck for shooting............Don

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 05:49:05 PM »
I agree with you 99 % Don.  The Lehigh is one of the worst for shooting - Berks Co can also crack you if there isn't enough drop at the COMB.  And rifles with straight lines from the comb to heel such as Lancaster rifles and some others fit us better for offhand shooting.  Fort sheer good fit, it's tough to find something better than a good English sporting rifle or even a jaeger, where the comb to heel line is nearly parallel to the bore.
But Lehigh's are sexy - oh yeah!!
D. Taylor Sapergia

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 04:05:25 PM »

Fort sheer good fit, it's tough to find something better than a good English sporting rifle or even a jaeger, where the comb to heel line is nearly parallel to the bore.
But Lehigh's are sexy - oh yeah!!

Spot-On  old Duff!!!

Oh yeah, I hate laptops.

Offline louieparker

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 03:29:44 PM »
  They may not be good for shooting , but they are certainly great for looking!!! Looking is what I do.....LP

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 09:50:46 PM »
Don't confuse a Lehigh gun with a Traditions.  A properly built Lehigh gun is very comfortable to shoot.  ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."