Author Topic: GRRW Hawken  (Read 3558 times)

Offline L Meadows

GRRW Hawken
« on: January 07, 2018, 11:50:59 PM »
Been looking around at purchasing a Hawken style rifle and came across a GRRW rifle but I have a few questions, is there a way to tell if it was factory built or a kit? I've looked over pictures and it seems factory guns feature brown furniture and barrel,while the gun I'm looking at has browned furniture and a blued barrel. Any help appreciated.

Offline rsells

Re: GRRW Hawken
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 12:08:02 AM »
The kit I have did not have the GRRW stamp on the top flat of the barrel, and all the factor rifles I have seen has the stamp on the barrel with other markings dealing with who at Green River assembled the finished rifle.  There are folks on this forum that I am sure can give more detailed information.  If you can get on the GRRW collectors page, they have reference material that shows some of the id of the smith who assembled the rifle.
                                                                                   Roger Sells

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 04:28:59 AM »

Hey shankey,, Phil Meek sent me this link to his site, you can spend an inordinate amount of time goin Hawken huntin. Good luck, Dave 8) 8)

http://grrw.org/ithaca-hawken-ithaca-gun-co/

Offline L Meadows

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 05:54:19 AM »
Thanks Mountainman,found his site earlier today,been talking with Phil,he is a wealth of information! The transformation of your rifle is impressive,hard to believe how much of a difference your modifications have made. Also,Taylor knows his stuff on Hawkens,following along on your build has given me the itch to get one bad! Looking forward to seeing pics of the finished rifle.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:56:12 AM by Shankeyman2 »

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 07:19:14 PM »
Thanks. If you watch gunbroker closely, and do your homework on these older Hawkens, sometimes you can make a good score.Ya gotta be careful with the difference between built kit guns, and the factory jobs. Some nice built kits out there,and some not so nice for too many dollars.

Like the song sez, ya better shop around !!! Have a goodun, Dave

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 04:40:38 AM »
Hi Shankeyman, did you get a Hawken ? Been several on the gbr and gunsinternatnl Have a goodun, Dave 8) 8)

Offline L Meadows

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 11:14:25 AM »
Still looking, been kicking myself for not buying the unmarked 54 I posted on here hoping for some info. I'm sure I let a good one get away considering the price it sold for.

Cajun72

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 05:53:59 AM »
Going to save up and find one in the near future.