Author Topic: Long Long Percussion Chunk Gun  (Read 3374 times)

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
Long Long Percussion Chunk Gun
« on: January 15, 2018, 05:33:11 PM »
I'm re-posting the photos and information on this rifle that I still haven't shot!

This Long-Long Rifles has an overall length of 8 ft 2 in and bore diameter is .47 in. It was made around 2000 at a cost of around $4500 with the intent on competing with it at the York Shoot, but the owner never made it to the shoot and lost interest in shooting.  According to the seller, at the time he was designing these rifles, Ed Rayl said he couldn't make a barrel this long. But he was able to make the owner's two 58 inch barreled Charlie Bowers Under Hammer guns, which also have a .47 inch diameter bore.  Ed Rayl was involved in the project. I have the bullet mold for this rifle. The stock is made of a single piece of Ash.

Sorry for the duplicate photos- had trouble deleting the doubles!

"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Long Long Percussion Chunk Gun
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 06:35:32 PM »
 :o :o... Still have hopes to one day see this gun ... !!! ... It must be even longer than the Jake Keedy gun ..... Do you know who the builder was ..? .... Maybe you can bring her to Pall Mall this year to shoot .... someone might object because you might be too close to the target ... !!! .... Thanx for posting these pix ... !!! ... Regards,  C C Fiddler   

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 10:20:30 PM »
I try to stay away from that part of the Wolf River as I might run into to many kin and familiar faces from my youth! Sorry I missed you last weekend.

Bill
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 11:20:26 PM »
That's incredible. Is the ramrod all one piece? I dont have any place in my house I could clean that thing.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 04:39:27 AM »
Yes, the ramrod is a one piece hickory rod. Iit came with a steel cleaning/loading range rod! I was able to get the bullet molds too about six months after I got the gun. It is a .477 caliber which I think is an odd size. Not sure why he went with that caliber.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 04:11:15 PM »
That's incredible. Is the ramrod all one piece? I dont have any place in my house I could clean that thing.

This rifle is longer than a poor man's grocery bill and makes no sense.
Years ago a local antique shop had a one inch bore punt gun with a
barrel longer than this but it was made for market hunting (poaching)?
of geese which put food on the table.I THINK that barrel was about 96".

Bob Roller

Offline steve1122

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 02:37:23 AM »
I have seen this rifle a couple of times. Once at the first annual Alabama Kentucky Show, and once before at the previous owners house. I bought a barrel off of the old gentleman that day, and it too was a .47 caliber. I guess old Tom really liked that caliber.     P.S. Let us know when you shoot that howitzer!