Author Topic: Seeking any information on this contemporary rifle - Who & When it was built  (Read 3985 times)

Offline wildcatter

Below is a rifle I really don't know much about, looking for any opinions anyone may have.

Thanks,

Matt

You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Ray Nelson

Matt,

Looks like a gun made from parts acquired from Dixie Gun Works. The lock is an IP which they had available for many years.

Ray

Offline Hungry Horse

It might be one of Dixie’s early “kits”.they were a kit only in that Dixie had collected all the parts. The stocks were’nt shaped or inletted. It looks like it has a pretty piece of wood.

Hungry Horse

Offline wildcatter

I appreciate all the responses thus far, I'm not familiar enough with gun building to know much. Any idea who made the barrel? Is the intitial CAD for a Douglas barrel?
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
I think it is a mid-late 20th century build of old and new parts.  Barrel, pipes and patchbox look old.  Trigger guard and butt plate may be old or new.  Lock is newer, agree it's probably Dixie Gun Works.  There are three signatures on the barrel, two are old, and the stamped CAD is new.  CAD built the gun, I'll bet, and has nothing to do with Douglas Barrels.  Just my two cents. Neat gun.
Done right is better than done fast.

Black Hand

It certainly does look like a kit gun, built by someone with some wood/metal-working experience but little knowledge of rifle shaping/architecture...

Offline wildcatter

I appreciate all the responses! I only collect antique rifle so this one is going up for sale over in the market place tonight.

Matt

Offline Frank Barker

I worked at GR Douglas Co back in the 60's and The CAD is not anything that would have been stamped on a ML barrel at the Douglas factory. Interesting gun. 

Kind Regards
Frank Barker

Offline Don Stith

Is the barrel straight? What is the width across the flats at breech,middle and muzzle?
 What is the measurement from middle of front trigger to the middle of the crescent of butt plate( about where the patch box release is)? A tape measure works good for that dimension.

Offline wildcatter

Don,

The barrel is straight not swamped or tapered, 7/16's at breach, middle and muzzle. LOP from trigger to butt plate crescent is 13.5 inches

Online Bob Roller

Don,

The barrel is straight not swamped or tapered, 7/16's at breach, middle and muzzle. LOP from trigger to butt plate crescent is 13.5 inches

7/16ths at the breech? Take another measurement.
Bob Roller

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Wildcatter,

When someone asks for the "width across the flats", they are asking for the diameter of the barrel, from one flat to the opposite flat.  Not the width of a single flat.  Terminology can be confusing.  Hope this helps.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie