Author Topic: Building an Ohio Style Halfstock - broken photos fixed!  (Read 34274 times)

Offline Marcruger

Re: Building an Ohio Style Halfstock
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 03:15:38 PM »
That is lovely work Curtis, and your photos come out so nice.  Thank you for sharing with us!
God Bless, Marc

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 12:42:34 AM »
Curtis,
good work!  Nice to see another  build-along. 

Nice touch, adding Curtis "RR Spike" A.  to your name....

Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

JVavrek

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 03:19:56 AM »
I sure wish ya lived closer. I would like to think i would be like a church mouse while watching ya. But I would probably beat your ear with questions the whole time. Thanks for the updates. I do wish someone lived closer just to watch one being built. Keep up with the post please.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 07:41:56 AM »
All your too kind comments are appreciated fellas.  JVarek, living in PA you should have someone fairly close that might be willing to let you come and observe them building a gun.

Curtis "RR Spike" A.
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 07:59:28 AM »
I drew up a patchbox inspired by an original box, with a couple of modifications.  I cut the pattern out and stuck it to the metal with spray adhesive, then cut it out using a jewelwer's saw.  I am thinking about mixing brass and german silver, may change my mind on that before I start to inlet it.

I refined the shape of the cheek rest a bit, then accentuated the concave shape using first a plane, then half round rasp, file and finished up with a scraper.

Curtis
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 07:56:11 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2018, 08:27:13 AM »
Time for some slots in the forestock escutcheons -  I drew the slot in, then made four punch marks to prepare for drilling.

I cut the slots with a saw and clean them up with files.

Using an appropriately curved piece of maple (a pistol blank in this case) and a pipe I add some curvature to the inlay.  I needed a bit more curve at the bottom of the inlay so I used an iron pipe for backing and a punch to shape the inlay.  Yes Dave, I am using a cutoff railroad spike for a punch in that last photo!   :P

I check for fit, then scribe around the inlay and start stabbing in with a home made chisel.

Thanks for looking!
Curtis
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 07:56:57 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 06:31:19 PM »
Nice.  Curtis, how thick are those escutcheons?
Andover, Vermont

JVavrek

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2018, 10:22:49 PM »
Thanks for keeping us posted Curtis, I'm going to the 20th annual Bushy Run Historic Arms Show Colton Hall, Claridge, PA. it is about a hour from here I hope we get to talk with some builders there.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2018, 08:02:21 AM »
Nice.  Curtis, how thick are those escutcheons?

Thanks and they are too thick, Rich, about .050 if I remember properly what it measured.  Why so thick?  The last escutcheons I did were .030 and by the time I filed them down a bit they had some spots that were almost too thin to engrave, in fact I perforated one with a graver and had to fix it.  At the time I started this project I had some .030 sheets of German silver, and a bag of GS scraps of various thickness I purchased at the CLA show a couple of years ago.   .040 would have been my choice of thickness for the escutcheons, but of course I had none in my bag of scraps - so I used the next thickest I had, .050.  I will probably leave the inlays slightly proud and then file them flush with the wood, hopefully giving me about .040 thickness to work with and engrave.  We will see if things work out as planned....  I should have prepped better and purchased a sheet of .040 german silver, I hadn't planned that far ahead.  In fact I just decided on the eagle theme while I was shaping the stock and wondering where I was going to head with this one. 

I should probably plan ahead better, however when I start a project that is not based on an original work I usually just see where the gun wants to take me artistically.  I was looking at some of J. Fleeger's work and it influenced where to go with this one.

JVarek, enjoy the show and I hope you have luck conversing with some builders there.  I'm sure you will find someone willing to help out!

Curtis
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 09:13:24 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2018, 07:44:58 PM »
Curtis,
Great job! Looking forward to your continued progress on this rifle. I know your son will be proud of it. I have a question for you. It is always difficult holding small pieces of brass on the cutting block for your jewelers saw work. You show some of the Woodcraft quick action toggle clamps on your and looks like they do the trick of holding the piece of stock so you can concentrate on cutting the piece out accurately. Do you remember the size of the toggle clamps you used? Thanks and following your work closely. Enjoy your posts.
Gary

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2018, 08:10:29 AM »
Thanks so much Gary, I think my son will be glad to have the rifle and I hope he takes it out and shoots it, a lot!

The clamps in question are from Harbor Freight, currently priced at $5.99, and the comparable one at woodcraft is listed at $21.50.  I cannot compare the quality of the two as I have no experience with the woodcraft model - but I can say I am quite pleased with the harbor freight ones I have.  I purchased them for a project about eight years ago and never used them, one day last year I was struggling with holding work-pieces on my v-board while sawing with the jewelers saw, using multiple c-clamps etc., when I remembered the toggle clamps and gave them a try.  Man, has it made life easier when sawing inlays, patchboxes etc.!  Sometimes I still have to add a c-clamp or use a scrap of metal to extend the reach of the clamps, but it has simplified holding the stock a great deal.

Here is a link to the Harbor Freight model (bought mine at a local store): https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-horizontal-toggle-clamp-96233.html

Woodcraft comparable: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-low-silhouette-toggle-clamp-6-1-2-x-1-3-4-500-lb-capacity
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2018, 08:49:16 AM »
Haven't had much time in the shop the past couple of days, but had enough time today to make some progress with inletting the escutcheons.  I find it helpful to employ a small block of wood or similar object when tapping such inlays in place, it helps to prevent bending or dinging the metal by spreading the impact.

This is a simple tool I made for cleaning out corners and small,  hard to reach spots.  Made from a small screwdriver or hex driver:

Got one nailed in and filed down, the other ready to drill and nail:

Thanks for looking, Curtis
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 07:57:48 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2018, 03:33:59 PM »
That's really coming together, Curtis.  Does the ubiquitous rail spike in the last pic have a purpose?   ;D
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2018, 09:20:53 PM »
Curtis,
Thanks for the info about the toggle information. Can you tell me how long they are? I hope they will fit my vee board but then I might just have to make a new one. I will get to Harbor Freight to get a couple. They look like they work really good and especially at a much better price. I a lost ordered some of the smaller ones from Woodcraft but had held of. Glad I did and thanks for the info! This is going to be an awesome looking rifle. Watching and waiting for your continued progress.
Gary

JVavrek

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2018, 02:32:39 AM »
Curtis, Thank you again for keeping us updated. You sure are giving this new guy some great ideas. love the home made tools.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2018, 06:31:16 AM »
Does the ubiquitous rail spike in the last pic have a purpose?   ;D

Rail Road spike? What railroad spike?  I don't see no railroad spike!  8)

Now if I were an ornery person, perhaps I may have photobomed (with a RR spike) about 9 pics or so of my last couple of postings, just to see if Sir David Rase was paying any attention here.....  ;) But since ornery doesn't describe me accurately in the least,  I have to say that I have no idea what you are talking about, and I don't see no railroad spike, ubiquitous or not.   ::) ::) ::)

Curtis
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:32:51 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2018, 06:42:18 AM »
Gary, the clamps are about 6" long total, but probably just a little more than 4" from the rear mounting holes forward.  In my opinion if you had to make a new vee-board it would be worth it for the ease of use.  Ant thanks for the vote of confidence on the rifle, I hope it turns out nice!

JVarek, idea sharing is what this site is all about!  Glad I could get some mental gears meshing for ya.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2018, 07:17:42 AM »
Managed to get some more shop time in today, got the second escutcheon nailed in place and filed flush.

Made some progress with the patchbox... Sawed out the hinges and got them fit together. 

I like to lay the box pieces out on the butt and look at them a while to make sure I like the positioning.

When satisfied with the location, I bent some curve into the hinge, lid and finial, cut some relief below the hinge area and screwed the finial in place. Then I scribed around the finial:

Then inlet the finial flush with the wood.  I used .032 metal for the box.

Thanks for looking,
Curtis
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 07:58:29 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2018, 09:35:31 AM »
Curtis,

Nice inletting on that eagle escutcheon!  Enjoying this build-along very much. 

RR spike??  I see notinck!!  Noootink!

Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2018, 07:46:10 AM »
Made a little more progress today.  After getting the finial inlet into the buttstock, I went ahead and excavated the patchbox cavity to get the excess wood out of the way.

I plan on using a friction spring arrangement for the patchbox lid, and in order to open the lid I needed to make a finger recess in the bottom piece of the box.  I have never done this before, but decided I could probably use a scrap of hardwood for the form.  So I cut a recess in a block of hardwood with a gouge, clamped it in my vice and used a round face punch the shape the annealed metal into the recess.  It worked pretty well.

After cutting a similar recess in the stock, I screwed the bottom piece in place, scribed around it and the side pieces, and started to inlet them all.  I ran out of time before getting it finished.

It will probably be a week or two before I get the chance to get back in the shop and continue working on the rifle.  See you then!

Thanks for looking,
Curtis

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:49:07 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

JVavrek

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2018, 08:08:32 AM »
Are You kidding me? I can't be waiting a week or two ;)

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2018, 02:40:04 AM »

It will probably be a week or two before I get the chance to get back in the shop and continue working on the rifle.  See you then!

Thanks for looking,
Curtis

Sounds like you are letting retirement get in the way of gun building!

Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2018, 04:16:30 AM »
That's looking great, Curtis!  I really like the muzzlecap, very nice work!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2018, 04:25:12 AM »
Looking super.  I like the thumbnail recess for the lid.  Very nice.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2018, 08:05:18 AM »
Thanks for your kind words, gentlemen! ....and Norm!  :P

Curtis
Curtis Allinson