Author Topic: English Fowler Find  (Read 7946 times)

Offline 1sogdusm

English Fowler Find
« on: January 11, 2018, 10:05:05 PM »
I acquired a Ketland marked Fowler and thought I would ask opinions from those with a lot more knowledge in this area.  It has a 46” oct. to round barrel with half-stock and the lock is marked W.  Ketland. It is missing the cock and the nose cap. Do you think this is early 1800s, any thoughts will b appreciated.  It is a wall hanger but I would like to located a cock if possible. 

Offline OldSouthRelics

Re: English Fowler Find
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 10:25:14 PM »
I believe W. Ketland was the name the firm used in the early 1800's according to a thread on this forum. So yes, 1800-1830ish I believe it says.

Regardless of its current state, very nice gun in my opinion.

A link to the thread about the Ketland firm:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=11664.0

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 10:28:47 PM »
Hi,
Joe Puleo is the man with respect to Ketland guns.  He will likely chime in here.  William Ketland sold guns under the name W. Ketland from about 1800-1807 I think , so that may give your gun a range of dates.  The barrel has what appear to be private Tower proof marks.  The Tower provide proofing services to civilian makers until 1810 or so, which gives your fowler another benchmark for the date. It seems to be a nice gun with typical stock styling from the early 19th century.  I believe someone put the barrel key shown in one of your photos in from the wrong side.  The head should be on the opposite side of the stock from the lock. The oval shaped head suggests it might be a replacement.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline 1sogdusm

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 10:38:59 PM »
Thanks guys, you make this look easy.  I have been looking at this for a while but totally missed the barrel key. The butt plate, trigger guard, and entry thimble are brass, would you tend to believe the missing nose cap was brass as well?

Offline OldSouthRelics

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 11:03:05 PM »
Thanks guys, you make this look easy.  I have been looking at this for a while but totally missed the barrel key. The butt plate, trigger guard, and entry thimble are brass, would you tend to believe the missing nose cap was brass as well?

I would imagine it was actually a full stock fowler, and not ever meant to be half stock. It was probably cut down at some point, but I could be mistaken. If it was cut down, then the nose cap could have been constructed of whatever metal was handiest for the Smith.

This is a W. Ketland & Co. marked Fowler I owned a few years ago. I posted some pictures of areas you might be interested in seeing for possible rehabilitation.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:12:35 PM by OldSouthRelics »

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 11:15:17 PM »
It looks a nice gun!  Why a wallhanger, Is?

If no evidence of an under -rib, then it was originally full stocked most likely.

On half stock of this time, horn is the most usual for a cap, or just plain wood nicely finished.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:17:35 PM by Pukka Bundook »

Black Hand

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 11:36:34 PM »
Looks like the forestock may have been damaged, was removed and a nosecap installed. I can't tell for certain, but there appears to be no evidence of ramrod pipes on the barrel. You may be able to see where the soldered lugs were once attached to the barrel and used to pin the forestock to the barrel.

While I've never done it, this looks like it would be a great candidate for restoration - new forestock, pipes, rammer and rebuilding the lock, would return it to its former state. Now whether it should be fired, that is a question for a professional...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:38:15 PM by Black Hand »

Offline 1sogdusm

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 12:05:58 AM »
There is an under rim, not clearly visible in the full gun shot. I will take a close up when I get Back home. I would be interested to know if it was full stock at one time. I plan to drag it to the Alabama show tomorrow, may get lucky and find a part or two.

Offline 1sogdusm

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 02:02:01 AM »
Here are a few more pics showing the remaining section of under rib. Not sure if this was added at some point or original at time of manf.

russian image host

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 03:32:28 AM »
I figured it had an under rib as the forestock is double keyed. it's always been a 1/2 stock. I also originally had a horn nose cap most likely black.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline OldSouthRelics

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 04:39:05 AM »
Mike is correct. I couldn't see the double key until I brought up the picture on the computer. Absolutely Half Stock and it probably had a very handsome Horn piece as the cap.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 11:00:16 AM »
I figured it had an under rib as the forestock is double keyed. it's always been a 1/2 stock. I also originally had a horn nose cap most likely black.

I would say it has always been a  half  stock with a horn nose cap, but there are  a few things that I think is not  correct , to me the lock is early than 1800 it is more to the period of 1770-80  with minus the pan stirrup for the steel the barrel is early Victorian with the proof marks also the barrel muzzle front sight should be for the 1800 period a silver inlaid star . The trigger guard which I cannot see if a pine apple finial it is after 1786 , if a acorn  prior 1786 ,
Feltwad
If you are restorian  the lock image enclosed of a simular one.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:08:20 AM by Feltwad »

Offline OldSouthRelics

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 03:50:22 PM »
A picture of the trigger guard finial would give some of the more experienced members a better idea of the overall nature. It should be in the shape of an Acorn, if earlier, and a pineapple, if later as mentioned above by Feltwad.

The lock he posted is more closely related to yours than the pictures I posted and should be used if you are trying for restoration.

Best of luck to you at the Alabama show on your parts hunt!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 04:36:24 PM »
The lock is correct. It's a post 1800 gun, just look at the architecture. It appears to have an acorn trigger guard finial as well. All of which is correct for these low end export guns.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 05:24:42 PM »
Exactly. Just like the "trade" guns (carolina, g, etc.) used way outdated styles in their parts, so did the "trading " guns. I've seen plenty of post 1800 Ketland marked pieces with 1st pattern (Neal) guards.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 05:49:19 PM »
Must agree with last 2 posts.

On lower-end guns, older style parts continued, and as Mike says, the stock architecture puts it later as well

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 07:00:40 PM »
Made between 1801 and 1805... 1801 because that is when WK first separated from the T. Ketland partnership and 1805 because that is when the ordnance stopped doing private proofs.

It's appearance is entirely consistent with those dates. Also, half-stock is entirely appropriate. WK fowlers were available with full or half stocks at no difference in price.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:03:15 PM by JV Puleo »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 07:17:41 PM »
Exactly. Just like the "trade" guns (carolina, g, etc.) used way outdated styles in their parts, so did the "trading " guns. I've seen plenty of post 1800 Ketland marked pieces with 1st pattern (Neal) guards.
I have one of those with the "first pattern" trigger guard, probably 1790-1800, maybe even war of 1812 era..... Ketland & Co.  Looks absolutely identical to the 'Duncan Fowler" in Hamilton's book.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 07:24:07 PM »
It isn't even a matter of "trade guns." Practically everything we ASSUME about styles is based on the high end London market. This is no more accurate than dating photographs of ladies by what is "high fashion" in Paris. I seriously doubt that every provincial gunmaker and purchaser slavishly followed the latest London fashion.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:45:05 PM by JV Puleo »

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 07:56:35 PM »
I agree. In truth, even Virginia was not more than 10 years out of London fashion. The further one gets down the food chain on quality guns, the more outdated the parts will be. I think this was magnified with the English gun trade more so than other areas. At least that is what i have found. I think we may be saying the same thing. Trade guns were the bottom of that chain hence used as the most visual example. All being based on what was the latest and greatest fads set forth by the ones who set them.

Offline 1sogdusm

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 12:42:39 AM »
Thank you gentlemen for all the information, I am happy to know more about Fowler.  If anyone knows where I might find a hammer that would fit the lock please let me know.  Many thanks.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 12:55:52 AM »
I was thinking that for a "wallhanger", you may be able to acquire a modern-built hammer of the right dimensions and antique it to match.  Now, the lock folks in this forum will be able to give the best advice.  God bless, and best wishes,   Marc

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 03:38:38 PM »
Please explain.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 04:01:08 PM »
Please explain.
It has two keys in the forestock which indicates it was and has always been a 1/2 stock. Nose caps on nearly all 1/2 stock English guns are made of black or dark  horn. I had one that the horn had a greenish cast to it.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 04:23:49 PM »
Enclosed are images of  a sxs Ketland & Co flintlock shotgun
Feltwad
 Ketland sxs

locks
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 04:28:51 PM by Feltwad »