Author Topic: English Fowler Find  (Read 7924 times)

Offline Nordnecker

Re: English Fowler Find
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2018, 03:37:42 PM »
I figured it had an under rib as the forestock is double keyed. it's always been a 1/2 stock. I also originally had a horn nose cap most likely black.
Please explain.
It has two keys in the forestock which indicates it was and has always been a 1/2 stock. Nose caps on nearly all 1/2 stock English guns are made of black or dark  horn. I had one that the horn had a greenish cast to it.
"I see!" said the blind man.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 04:35:44 PM »
I figured it had an under rib as the forestock is double keyed. it's always been a 1/2 stock. I also originally had a horn nose cap most likely black.
Please explain.
It has two keys in the forestock which indicates it was and has always been a 1/2 stock. Nose caps on nearly all 1/2 stock English guns are made of black or dark  horn. I had one that the horn had a greenish cast to it.
A large majority of nose caps  were made  from African buffalo horn but also cow horn was used have several fowlers with cow horn nose caps .
'
Feltwad

Hemo

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 08:40:34 PM »
I was able to get castings of an original "Ketland & Co." marked lockplate, cock, frizzen, and frizzen spring from Jack Brooks recently to replace a missing lock for a fullstock fowler similar to yours recently. The top jaw and jaw screw were not included. I think Jack would sell you the cock casting by itself. You might have to modify the position of the square tumbler hole to fit your lock.
This is Jack Brooks' website:

http://www.jsbrookslongrifles.com/riflessundriesforsale.htm

The lock I'm referring to is the sixth lock down on this site.

This is the lock I made using his parts, and large Siler internals:

Gregg

Offline 1sogdusm

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 04:01:37 AM »
Thanks Gregg, that looks fantastic.  I’m on it.

Jkeough

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2018, 12:50:24 AM »
I have a Ketland 20 bore. It has a brass nose cap!

image upload html