Author Topic: Penny knife  (Read 5923 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Penny knife
« on: January 07, 2018, 05:42:48 PM »
I would like to know more about these?  This came with a box of 19th century tools

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Marcruger

Re: Penny knife
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 12:27:21 AM »
1828 to 1912.  The changes that man saw in his lifetime.  He no doubt knew old folks who fought in the Revolution and War of 1812, but also got to hear that man could now fly.  I love to see that tool kit, and think what was crafted with those tools.  Thanks for sharing.   Marc

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 05:48:17 PM »
Marc,

That knife looks like an old version of the French Opinel knife.    They were V good steel, and the bolster turned to lock them open.

Richard.

Black Hand

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 06:21:06 PM »
Penny knife - many were made and were available everywhere. Inexpensive pocket knife....

Offline RobertS

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 02:07:36 AM »
That is a great find and a cool knife, thanks for posting. 

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 04:30:04 AM »
There use to be a booklet available on how to make them.   No clue is it is available anymore.

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 09:30:33 PM »
It is a style of pocket knife referred to as a friction folder. This style of knife can be traced back to at least Roman times, but the one you have here was likely produced in, or around, Trattenbach Austria where they have been in continuous production since at least the early 18th century. Other versions of these knives were produced in Spain, Poland, and no doubt other countries as well.  Bernard Levine, a noted knife expert, once stated that he felt the term "Penny Knife" was a modern one, but I have found 18th century references to Penny Knives, the problem is that the references seem to be often describing any relatively inexpensive knife and not necessarily a simple friction folder like the one you have acquired. I have seen a number of knives of this style, and as I mentioned earlier I have no doubt they were readily available in during the 18th century, but finding ones that can be definitively dated to that period is difficult. Partly this is I feel because the basic style did not change much over time and one produced at the end of the 19th century probably did not look much different than ones produced in the 18th. Also, because they are very basic knives with few metal parts their survival rates would have been very low.

Gene Chapman wrote a short manual on building these knives and it is a good place to start if you want to build one. I have built a number of them and though I do things a bit differently the basic concepts are the same. I have included some images of knives that I have built and also some in process. They are a fun knife to make and despite their simplicity are very effective and easy to carry due to their light weight. The Opinel is a more modern version of this knife and still highly popular today.

The next three images are a knife I built awhile back. This is based on examples that were likely produced in Poland in the 19th century, though I don't have much difficulty believing that 18th century versions were about the same.

This one is similar to the one that you have here and seems to be the ones that most often are associated with "Penny Knives". This style is common in Austria, produced in Trattenbach. The one here has a Rosewood handle, though beech and maple would probably have been more common materials.

A couple pictures of a similar knife with a cherry handle during test fitting, but before final assembly and finishing.

A similar knife being turned in the lathe. I have a wood lathe, but like to do most of my turning on a small 7x12 metal lathe.

A photo of the slotting fixture that I made to create the recess for the blade.

A slightly different style handle, based on one I found in a Polish collection. I have not got around to finishing this one yet, but at some point I will get it done. I generally do finish the handles before I mount the ferrule and attach the blade.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:32:08 PM by 44-henry »

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 10:55:32 PM »
44-Henry

This needs to be in Tutorials section. Thanks for posting how you do it.
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 04:55:32 AM »
44 Henry. Thanks for the great education on this topic. You've obviously done your homework. Your workmanship is top notch. I'm inspired to make some as gifts. Someone on blade forum suggested mine was made by someone specific in Connecticut?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 06:09:06 PM »
I have not been able to find any solid evidence that this style of knife was ever made in the US, though anything is possible. There has been some speculation that due to the similarities of the blades between different makes of knives that the blades might have been mass produced and sold to individual craftsman who turned handles for them locally. If that is true these craftsman either produced knives that never survived, or they produced ones that all tended to look about the same (not very likely). My guess is that these were being produced in quantity in countries with large, established, knife centers and shipped around the world. The cost would have been very cheap and probably would not have been cost effective to produce by local craftsman. Not to say that a few craftsman didn't make a knife similar to this, or repair an existing one at some point, logic would suggest that this probably happened, but I doubt it was much more than that.

The following photograph is from the factory that is producing these knives in Trattenbach. You might find it interesting.

The link to their webpage is:

http://www.retrophy.com/blog/trattenbacher-taschenfeitel-iconic-pocket-knives/

I don't know if the forum rules allow a posted link, but if not you can find this by searching for Trattenbach Austria Knife in Google. You can still purchase their Taschenfeitel knives from European vendors, but the shipping over here gets a bit expensive. The ones that they make now are not terribly good quality, but the older ones were quite good. At one time there were several companies producing this style of knife (and others) in Tratenbach, now there is only one that has survived. I think knife production here goes well back into the middle ages. As far as building these things they are kind of fun.

I am posting a couple photos of one that I built awhile back where the handle split at the ferrule. Rather than throwing it away I decided to do an antiquing job on it and see what could be done with it. My idea of what someone who was bored might have done to personalize the knife while sitting beside a campfire. Unfortunately the photos aren't the best.