Author Topic: No Short Starter?  (Read 6550 times)

John Ciccone

Re: No Short Starter?
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2018, 12:55:05 AM »
Goo wrote, "perhaps I should put marks on my ram rods," to let him know when a ball is seated. I am sure we have all done this at lease once...dry balled.So, I have two marks on my ram rods. One indicating where the bottom of the chamber is ( with a cleaning jag on the rod) and one indicating a ball seated on my minimum powder charge. I simply admit that I get distracted and some times do a dry ball. If someone starts to talk to me when I am loading, I ask them to hold off till I'm done...sometimes a bit snappy. Oh yes, I use stainless Steel rods, and always have a muzzle guard.

This leads to what do I do when I have dry balled. I use a CO2 ejector. I have found that with a long rifle, I need to clean any fouling out of the barrel to get the ball all of the way out of the bore. Fouling can make the ball stop about 3/4 of the way up the barrel.

JVavrek

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 01:19:10 AM »
John, I have done the same thing. When i only had two flintlocks I could tell just by looking at the RR if everything was normal but now after acquiring a few more Flintlocks, I have started marking all my ramrods. I have never short started or not seated a ball yet and don't want to start now.

Offline redheart

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 02:14:36 AM »
Daryl,

The old 18th/19th way was always leave the ramrod in the bore.  That was an international sign, but Did I?   Not that time!

Watch out Pukka. With your luck you're going to end up shooting out your ramrod. ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 05:30:45 AM by redheart »

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2018, 07:01:43 AM »
Yep!!

LOL!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2018, 07:16:41 AM »
Too easy for a rod to be removed and replaced, perhaps.  With the tape on a frizzen, that's a dead giveaway, or so it would seem.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2018, 07:37:14 AM »
Daryl,

You know what happens when we make something "Foolproof" don't you!   ;)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2018, 06:35:36 PM »
Yes! I'm an expert in making something foolproof...........unfoolproof.