Author Topic: Bending a ramrod  (Read 2445 times)

Offline scottmc

Bending a ramrod
« on: January 18, 2018, 10:13:25 PM »
Ok, I never thought I'd ask this but is there a way to get a little bend in the rod so that it holds tighter in the pipes?  I picked one so straight that it starts to slide out when I'm hunting.  The rod is finished.  Next time I'll make sure I pick em with a little curve.  I just finished the rifle last spring and have been hunting with it in the PA cold this winter so maybe that's shrinking it somewhat.
Remember Paoli!

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
Re: Bending a ramrod
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 10:16:25 PM »
Hold the rod over an electric eye on your stove where you want the bend to be. Flex the rod when hot and hold.  Should solve your problem.
iloco

Offline scottmc

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 10:36:15 PM »
Excellent.  I'll  give it a try.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Dave R

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 10:44:01 PM »
Years ago when HH removed his .36 cal Colerain swamped barrel and installed a new .32 Colerain his thimbles were too small and the ramrod slipped out! He took a piece of leather like a shoelace and trimmed it down to an acceptable size darkened it and inserted it thru the middle thimble and tied a square knot which held the ramrod in place.It added a little Woodbury charm to his rifle!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 11:05:08 PM by Dave R »

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 12:43:41 AM »
We used a round metal screw-in ‘eye’ to straighten ceder arrow shafts by forcibly rubbing the grain opposite the bend ... so the opposite should work. FYI, it compresses the grain ... and is a neat trick!

... never tried it on a ramrod though ..
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 12:56:47 AM »
Dave R,

I recall seeing a picture of that rifle. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 01:21:59 AM »
Years ago when HH removed his .36 cal Colerain swamped barrel and installed a new .23 Colerain his thimbles were too small and the ramrod slipped out! He took a piece of leather like a shoelace and trimmed it down to an acceptable size darkened it and inserted it thru the middle thimble and tied a square knot which held the ramrod in place.It added a little Woodbury charm to his rifle!

You meant the thimbles were too "large" and the ramrod slipped out. That's ok, it happens in the 'twilight' years.
Something else that works, is a tiny pad of leather, crazy glued onto the rod channel, anywhere, to help hold the rod.

get picture url
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 10:54:45 PM »
Gluing a piece of leather in the RR channel worked great on one of my rifles with loose RRs.  If a RR has a modest bend, it won't need anything to hold in in the ferrels.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 01:20:34 AM »
One can also tie a piece of heavy thread, cord or lesther through and around the ramrod pipe.

Leave a tag end long and tie off a small feather on light thread. This is VERY useful on a hunting gun to let you know where the wind is coming from ... ;)
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Black Hand

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 01:39:53 AM »
Ok, I never thought I'd ask this but is there a way to get a little bend in the rod so that it holds tighter in the pipes?  I picked one so straight that it starts to slide out when I'm hunting.  The rod is finished.  Next time I'll make sure I pick em with a little curve.  I just finished the rifle last spring and have been hunting with it in the PA cold this winter so maybe that's shrinking it somewhat.
Tie a thin piece of leather through your front rammer pipe (you may need to loop it a couple of times) - takes up the slack and the rod stays put.

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 01:43:28 AM »
I have used the heat method to straighten a rod that had to much bend that it would hit the side of the last entry thimble.
Also used this method to put a little bend in the rod so it would have pressure when in the thimbles.

iloco