Author Topic: Range rod for a long rifle with 42in barrrel  (Read 4730 times)

jrubin

Range rod for a long rifle with 42in barrrel
« on: January 18, 2018, 06:38:56 AM »
I have a nice range rod with wooden handle that accommodates my Hawken, but not the long rifle, does anyone know a good place to order a longer range rod with a threaded and for cleaning attachments and whatnot?

Also this is my shameless plug where I say "Hey subscribe to my youtube page since they are removing all of the sites with less than 1000 subscriptions from their preferred partner program...."
https://www.youtube.com/c/jordanrubin6502

Online smylee grouch

Re: Range rod for a long rifle with 42in barrrel
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 07:02:33 AM »
I have found 42"+ range rods at a few major sporting goods stores but most of the Muzzle Loading suppliers carry them too.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 08:52:18 AM »
I have had one of these for 13 years now, and have loved it. I highly recommend it.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/566/1/RAMROD-C-44-08

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 09:11:13 AM »
A good straight -grained dowel works well, with a jag cut into one end of it. 
Best,
R.

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 11:45:17 AM »
I bought a stainless steel range rod at Dixon's several years ago and have been using it ever since. What is good about it is that it has a big round red ball for a handle that is large enough to block the sights so you don't accidentally shoot it down range.

Not that I have ever done such a thing.

Dale H

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 03:13:08 PM »
Rice sells a 48" steel range rod. I've never seen one, but IIRC folks here who have them think highly of them.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 06:18:06 PM »
A surplus .50 BMG cleaning rod works well. Length is adjustable, has a swivel handle, and the tip is drilled and tapped for standard cleaning accessories. Fits easily in your range box, too.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Online jaeren

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 09:39:32 PM »
Rice sells a 48" steel range rod. I've never seen one, but IIRC folks here who have them think highly of them.

I bought one at a show a couple of years ago (Dixon’s I think) Very nice rod. It has a large black ball on the end and a muzzle guide.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 12:31:52 AM »
Way back in the 1960s I picked up a .50 BMG cleaning rod and it worked just fine on my long barrel flintlock.  I also have two ss rods 48" that I rely on for cleaning.  One came from a friend and the other, IIRC, came from TVM.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Hefner

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 12:52:27 AM »
My range rod is made by Treso.  44 inches long and the T shaped handle has a roll pin which allows the user to lock the handle solid or remove the pin to allow it to rotate and follow the rifling when cleaning a barrel. It is still working like new after 38 years of use!

Online snapper

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 03:43:29 AM »
I own at least 2 rods from RICE.

great rod at a great price.  Would certainly buy again and another one....

fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 03:28:08 AM »
I haven't tried one of the Rice ones, but they sound like solid choices. 

One of my range rods is from Track of the Wolf and has a wooden handle.  Plenty strong, and is suitable for pulling balls if needed.  Nice bore guide included too, not a small consideration with the potential for a steel rod on a steel bore. 

One other thing to keep in mind is the accessory thread.  My two range rods have different threads.  You may want to make sure all of your rods, wood and steel, have the same thread so you don't have to buy "plunder" twice. 

Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 04:03:37 AM »
You can buy the rod converters, brass rod stub with 8x32 on one end and 10x32 on the other. Cost a couple bucks

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 09:52:43 AM »
I got the 48" brass range rod with the T handle.  It screws together and you can buy an extension if you need it but while it's heavy, sometimes you need the "stout" of a metal rod.
https://www.logcabinshop.com/catalog.php?path=184_160_7&product_id=24508
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

jrubin

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 04:17:33 AM »
I ordered one from TOTW with 2 inches to spare!

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 09:14:07 AM »
I use the black plastic rods for range use and cleaning.

I have threaded ends on both ends. One end I can attach my jag, ball puller, whatever.  The other end I can attach a T handle.

The T handle makes pulling balls easy.  Send the ball screw in and get it into the ball. Flip the rifle muzzle down and stand on the T handle (a foot on each side) and lift the rifle up.

Ive never had an issue.  Durable...water and whatever doesn't effect the composite material.  Cheap..

I keep one in the truck during hunting seasons in case I ever need to pull a ball or whatever.

I can't bring myself to send steel down the barrel.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 05:28:14 AM »
I recently made one.  I used a 48" piece of 3/8" mild steel from Ace hardware.  I made a T-handle out of 1/2" steel.  I secured the handle by threading, Locktite 680 and then peened the end over.  I probably could have pinned it .  I threaded it 10-32, I make all my jags that size.  I covered it with shrink tubing, like a Dewey.  I made a  bore guide out of 1" plastic rod. 

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 05:57:34 AM »
I make mine from 48" -  5/16" weldable rod from Lowes.    I pop them in the lathe and drill and tap a 10-32 threaded hole on one end.   Then I put a handle on the other end.   A large file handle will do, but my preferred handle is an old brass door knob held on with a screw into the rod.   I order a nylon bore protector and any jags or scrappers that I need from TOTW.   It doesn't take much longer to make them than it took for me to write this. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 05:58:46 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline JLBSparks

• Starting Member
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 03:24:53 AM »
I bought two of the CVA brass rods on clearance. Adding one section from the second kit makes it 44".

-Joe