Author Topic: TC Hawkin?  (Read 10336 times)

JVavrek

Re: TC Hawkin?
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 09:06:22 PM »
Deepcreekdale and oldtraveler61, If you guys can buy a T/C Hawken Flintlock in any caliber for under $200.00 please let me know. I'll send ya $250.00 dollars and we can start making some money :D I'll sell them here in SW Pa and give ya $50.00 for everyone we sell. Heck we can get $400.00 just for the lock and barrel on ebay.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:07:15 PM by JVavrek »

Lead ball 54

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 09:27:02 PM »
Is that the sold price or just there asking price cause that's not a bad Idea just wasn't sure how fast they sell parts on EBay

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 09:35:03 PM »
You can't sell a gun on ebay. So, they get around it by taking the barrel off the stock. The lock is in the stock. So, you pay $200 for the barrel and find the same buyer selling a stock and pay $200 for for the stock with the lock and trigger in it. You just bought a TC Hawken for $400 that you know nothing about.

Buy Leatherbarks gun. No stock TC will shoot as good even if it's brand new.

JVavrek

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 09:41:09 PM »
Lead ball 54, i just PMed you. OldMtnMan, If you see a T/C Hawken flintlock with the stock and lock like that on ebay I'll buy it. I buy alot of stuff off ebay and if it is not what they describe ebay will get your money back. I've only ever had to do that once with them. It was a turbo for a diesel truck.

JVavrek

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 09:49:31 PM »
Leadball, That gun that Leatherbark put on here is a pretty good deal.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2018, 09:54:23 PM »
If they never mention the condition of the bore. What can you complain about if you buy it? If they say the bore is in good condition and it ends up being a little pitted. What case do you have? What is good condition on an old muzzleloader that are prone to pitting. If more are pitted than not. Is it normal?

I stopped buying used muzzleloaders unless I know the seller pretty good.

Buy Leatherbarks gun before it sells. Buy from a member here or from ebay? That's a no brainer.

JVavrek

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 10:03:46 PM »
Why would you buy a barrel if they they didn't say the barrel was in EXCELLENT condition? I agree with you on Leatherbarks gun. That is a great deal. The barrel i got for my sons T/C was in Beautiful shape. The guy that posted it just put in under Muzzle loaders and only in the description did he say it was a T/C Hawken Flintlock barrel. That is how i got it so cheap.

JVavrek

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2018, 10:12:27 PM »
OldMtnMan, I sent you a PM.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2018, 11:44:11 PM »
Mike.......He seems pretty new to muzzleloaders. You want him to start with a custom built longrifle? You didn't. You used a production gun for thousands of rounds in 5 years. Why can't he do the same thing?

Leadball..........Buy Leatherbarks gun.
Yep, that's what I did. But, I got past that gun pretty quick and never looked back. Lucky for me I got to use it for a couple years and only lost $60 on it when I sold it. Some guys can buy a TC and be happy with it for the rest of their lives.. I wasn't one of those.
 Besides, I started going to F-ship almost immediately and did my shooting on the primitive range. There were few matches you could shoot with a cap lock.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2018, 11:47:16 PM »
Mike.......He seems pretty new to muzzleloaders. You want him to start with a custom built longrifle? You didn't. You used a production gun for thousands of rounds in 5 years. Why can't he do the same thing?

Leadball..........Buy Leatherbarks gun.
Yep, that's what I did. But, I got past that gun pretty quick and never looked back. Lucky for me I got to use it for a couple years and only lost $60 on it when I sold it. Some guys can buy a TC and be happy with it for the rest of their lives.. I wasn't one of those.
 Besides, I started going to F-ship almost immediately and did my shooting on the primitive range. There were few matches you could shoot with a cap lock.

I was hoping you didn't see that post. I had just gone and deleted it, but you grabbed it first. Sorry. I'm not happy with production guns either. I can't wait to get my Isacc Haines built. Money is always my problem, but i'll get it done.

Lead ball 54

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2018, 12:23:56 AM »
I tried sending leatherbark a PM if anyone knows how else to get a hold of him send him my way please

JVavrek

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2018, 05:07:19 AM »
Lead ball 54, Did ya ever get a hold of him? I Think that would make ya a fine rifle. If ya get it, keep us posted on how ya like shooting it.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2018, 07:31:33 PM »
If you already own it, then take it out and shoot it.  See what it will do.  Get with someone familiar with shooting ml guns to guide you along the learning curve.

Forget about what you paid for it!  Get some fun and experience out of it.  Twenty years from now it could be full of memories that make it one of the smartest purchases you ever made.
Mike Lee

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2018, 12:19:21 PM »
Lead Ball
Did you ever get the pictures?  They had a mighty big file size.  I might have to resize them somehow.

Bob

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 12:32:59 PM by Leatherbark »

Lead ball 54

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2018, 02:20:22 PM »
No they haven't showed up yet

Offline stikshooter

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2018, 03:49:45 PM »
If available I would be a buyer @ $400.00 /Thanks Ed

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2018, 06:30:29 PM »
Deepcreekdale and oldtraveler61, If you guys can buy a T/C Hawken Flintlock in any caliber for under $200.00 please let me know. I'll send ya $250.00 dollars and we can start making some money :D I'll sell them here in SW Pa and give ya $50.00 for everyone we sell. Heck we can get $400.00 just for the lock and barrel on ebay.

Ah Flintlocks! Those are mighty thin on the ground down here. The next show here is at the end of February, I will take you up on that offer if I sell some stuff and have a bit of cash. Seriously, they are quite common here in north Florida and the prices are obviously a lot lower than elsewhere. My personal opinion is most of them are closet queens and when people die or move south to heavens waiting room in south Florida, they get sold cheap. You are right about the prices of parts on ebay. I had a customer that wanted a new lock on a T/C Seneca as well as some other work, he could have bought a new Chambers lock for the price of that old, slightly rusted lock. I really never thought about parting them out. Not a bad idea you have there.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2018, 06:36:08 PM »
Lead Ball
Did you ever get the pictures?  They had a mighty big file size.  I might have to resize them somehow.

Bob

I'd buy this without another thought if I was in the market for one. The GM barrel makes it a different gun. The one I had before won every BP shoot I entered and killed everything I shot at hunting. The GM 1-70 twist is a real shooter.

Someone needs to grab this.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2018, 07:35:34 PM »
Interesting. Most shoots I have shot in the past nearly 40 years you wouldn't even be allowed to shoot that gun. 1) It isn't a flintlock. 2) It has adjustable rear sight.
 I have seen guys at local gunshows around here with $400 TC's, they have them on their tables for years at that price. I'm surprised there are guys here lining up to have a chance to buy at that price. ???
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Lead ball 54

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2018, 07:38:51 PM »
Well stickshooter looks like it's yours wish I could but I can't go that high didn't even get a chance to bargain have a great day

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2018, 08:04:05 PM »
Interesting. Most shoots I have shot in the past nearly 40 years you wouldn't even be allowed to shoot that gun. 1) It isn't a flintlock. 2) It has adjustable rear sight.
 I have seen guys at local gunshows around here with $400 TC's, they have them on their tables for years at that price. I'm surprised there are guys here lining up to have a chance to buy at that price. ???

Well, you probably live in longrifle country. This is mountain man country, and we're not so fussy about what someone shoots. Hawkens were caplocks, except the early full stock versions. So, why would we insist it to be a flintlock? Although I did have primitive sights on mine. What makes a gun shoot accurately is the barrel. The GM drop in barrels are impossible to find now and when you find one it's the fast twist version. This gun is worth every bit of $400. All it needs is a better lock which is easy to change.

Mike...Shoots around here are in the 1820-1840 era.

Lead ball 54

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2018, 08:56:11 PM »
Just picked up a 45 TC Hawkin from a guy at work he said he inherited it then took it apart so so I asked him how much he said he don't need the money he would rather someone shoot it how about 35.00 I said are you sure he said yep as long as you shoot it that's all I want so now I know where I can get a GM barrel for cheap never shot but it's a fast twist and maybe a slow twist 45

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2018, 09:14:59 PM »
 What's your location and what state will you be hunting?

Lead ball 54

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2018, 10:15:42 PM »
Spokane wa. I'll be hunting in heavy timber mostly so shots are well under 100 yards unless I hunt south in the poluse prairie for mule deer that's pretty wide open with brush around the water holes and the creek that runs through the BLM land

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2018, 12:30:18 AM »
Ok, i'm not sure of the laws in Washington. In Colorado, you can't use a .45 PRB for big game. It's too light in weight. Only conicals can be used for big game.