Author Topic: TC Hawkin?  (Read 10341 times)

Lead ball 54

Re: TC Hawkin?
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2018, 12:40:20 AM »
Yep that's right but I can shoot targets mabye 45 is okay for deer as long as you use conicals but I'm not positive anyways the 45 is going to be mainly for fun Coloradro is a nice place I lived in Colorado springs for about a year didn't get to hunt but chased a lot of Jack rabbits between Colorado springs and Pueblo with my tank lol

Offline Daryl

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2018, 07:24:35 PM »
You do not need conicals to shoot deer with a .45. A patched round ball will work just fine.  I don't know where you got that idea from, but it is incorrect.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2018, 08:00:04 PM »
You do not need conicals to shoot deer with a .45. A patched round ball will work just fine.  I don't know where you got that idea from, but it is incorrect.

No, it isn't. Look up the Colorado rules. Maybe that's why we have these little spats. You don't really read my posts. I'm talking about what's legal. Not if it has the power to kill.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2018, 08:17:38 PM »
Daryl..........As you can see a .45 PRB would have to weigh 170gr. So, if you want to use a .45 for deer here you have to use a conical. If you want to hunt for elk you can't use a .45 at all. I don't agree with these laws, but they are what they are.

3. MUZZLELOADING RIFLES
& SMOOTHBORE MUSKETS
a. Only legal muzzleloaders allowed in muzzleloading seasons.
b. In-line muzzleloaders are legal.
c. Must be a single barrel that fires a single round ball or conical projectile.
d. To hunt deer, pronghorn or bear, they must be a minimum of .40
caliber.
e. To hunt elk or moose, they must be a minimum of .50 caliber.
f. From .40 caliber to .50 caliber, bullets must weigh a minimum of 170
grains.
g. If greater than .50 caliber, bullets must weigh a minimum of 210
grains.
h. Shotshell primers and B.O.R. Lock MZ System bullets are legal.
i. Pelletized powder systems are prohibited during muzzleloading
seasons.
j. Cannot be loaded from the breech during muzzleloading seasons.
k. Only open or iron sights allowed in muzzleloading seasons. Fiber optics
and fluorescent paint incorporated into or on open or iron sights
are legal. Scopes or any sighting device using artificial light, batteries
and electronic gear are prohibited during muzzleloading seasons.
l. Sabots are prohibited during muzzleloading seasons. Cloth patches
are not sabots.
m. Smokeless powder is prohibited in muzzleloading seasons. Black
powder and black-powder substitutes are legal.
n. Electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated into
or attached to muzzleloader during muzzleloading seasons
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 10:05:14 PM by OldMtnMan »

Lead ball 54

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2018, 09:43:46 PM »
Yep that's about what it is in Whashington State just obeying the rules

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2018, 12:32:32 AM »
We don't need no stinking rules..... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2018, 02:55:21 AM »
We don't need no stinking rules..... ;)

36 is minimum here-in the Hog Rifle state. I'd like to think that "hog rifleism" has something to do with that, but I'm sure it doesn't. Oh well.  Get me a 40 and really whump 'em!   :P
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2018, 01:06:49 AM »

No, it isn't. Look up the Colorado rules. Maybe that's why we have these little spats. You don't really read my posts. I'm talking about what's legal. Not if it has the power to kill.

I had read your post about the Colorado law.

I just re-read mine as well - obviously I was talking about power.  So - get the law changed.

Some time ago, someone here at ALR or maybe a different ML forum noted he lives in a state that allows .40's for deer but need a projectile well over 100gr., so he double balls,

his .40 rifle, with touching accuracy at his normal ranges to 50yards.  2x 94gr. = 188gr., just barely over the weight of a .50RB @ 185gr.  2 .45's = 132gr. x2 = 264gr. perfect!

By the looks of it, it might have been Colorado as I see 40 to 50 cal. 170gr.  So double balled for .40 or .45 would easily do it.

One must of course, not have an air space between them.
Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2018, 01:24:51 AM »
Better read the laws again Daryl. We must shoot a single ball or conical.

Trust me I was very upset about this law. I should have paid more attention to them before buying a Pedersoli .45 longrifle. I bought it to hunt for deer. I talked to the DOW until I was blue in the face to consider a change in the laws. I showed proof of a .45 PRB killing deer, but they didn't care. I wasn't going to shoot a conical, so ended up selling the gun at a loss. I was beyond *#)*^~.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2018, 04:23:12 AM »
How about that - however, that does not mean the other fellow who said he was using 2 balls in his rifle, is breaking any laws.  I just don't know where he was from - thought it might have been

Col. guess not.  This came out in a discussion about ball sizes for killing deer.  Most felt .40 was the lower limit, however there were some thought .32 and .36 were fine as allowed in their States.

One of the lads here used .45 round balls for a while on deer, then switched to the 220gr. Lee REAL bullet, finding no better killing power with them over round balls.

Friend of mine killed a moose on the primitive weapons hunt, with a .45 TC rifle, single shot with round ball at 50yards, both lungs holed = dead moose.
Daryl

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2018, 05:00:44 AM »
There's a whole lot of variation state to state and province to province.  I hunt Colorado every year and since .50 is the minimum for elk I just go with a .50 or .54 for everything. 

Most of my stuff fits perfectly with my persona.  Late 20th century Rocky Mountain hunter. :)
Mike Lee

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2018, 06:04:08 PM »
Yeah, I settled on the .54 for everything here. I shot an elk once with a .50 and even though it killed the elk it was a longer track than I wanted. The .54 seems to anchor them a little better.