Author Topic: Ivy leaves.  (Read 5404 times)

Offline Pukka Bundook

Ivy leaves.
« on: January 18, 2018, 05:25:43 PM »
Gents,

When I first started using a percussion shotgun, an old gunsmith told me to use ivy leaves as wadding for when we were shooting wood-pigeons or ducks over laid corn  (barley...this was the UK) at harvest time, so as to not set fire to the crop.   
At that time, we still used to load with paper as wadding at times, so the ivy leaves seemed a good idea to try. 
He said just roll a couple up in a ball and ram them down, then shot and another leaf or bit of grass to keep the shot in place.

It works like a charm, still very nice even patterns and no chance of anything smouldering and setting fire to the straw in dry times.
Don't leave loaded overnight. The leaves turn damp and so does your powder.
Over here, I found any tough leaf will do.  Black poplar even. 

For some reason, I don't expect many replies!...but it does work.   :-)

Richard.

somehippy

Re: Ivy leaves.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 06:12:29 PM »
Sounds like it's certainly worth a try, just gotta wait for leaves lol.  Thanks for the tip!

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 06:57:01 PM »
Hard pressed to find any leaves around here at the moment.... ;) I have always had great results using standard cards and wads, never needed to cut down the shrubbery for loads.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 08:20:15 PM »
Pukka, I've used leaves in my 20 ga. trade gun with good effect on some local tree rats.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 08:21:00 PM »
Flax tow would work and is easy to get.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 10:40:20 PM »
The only flax tow I was able to get here in BC, came from Acer, sent  in NY.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

JVavrek

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 11:47:46 PM »
Good to know, Never know when ya might need it.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 11:58:42 PM »
I buy my Tow from Dixie. It's more coarse than what most everybody else sells and that makes it stronger. Much better for cleaning.

It's also better for starting fires. I find the fine stuff smolders and the coarse stuff catches fire. Mo better.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 12:58:52 AM »
Well, our back yard is knee deep in ivy and it well up into the trees.  Got plenty if anyone needs some.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 01:47:53 AM »
Poison Ivy?
Daryl

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 05:43:20 AM »
Shhhhhhh, Don't tell 'em Daryl!

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 07:05:20 AM »
Right now is the time to harvest paper wasp nesting, those big footballs that are full all summer. They are sometimes still in there but dormant, don't bring them into a heated space until you've had a chance to open them up and cut them up.
I usually cut them into 1 1/2"-2" squares and store the pieces in zip lock bags, put in a small cloth sack when shooting and you can grab a piece, pinch and stuff.
Makes nice over powder and over shot wads that don't burn or smolder.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 07:31:09 AM »
All very true, Burnt. I use it over the  powder. 

When the kids were small and we were always short of cash, I'd get a great big horseshoe "mushroom" or a big bag of wasp nest from them for my B-day!
(Horsehoe for tinder or for using in the matchlock)
Much better than a store bought gift.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 09:11:44 AM »
Right now is the time to harvest paper wasp nesting, those big footballs that are full all summer. They are sometimes still in there but dormant, don't bring them into a heated space until you've had a chance to open them up and cut them up.
I usually cut them into 1 1/2"-2" squares and store the pieces in zip lock bags, put in a small cloth sack when shooting and you can grab a piece, pinch and stuff.
Makes nice over powder and over shot wads that don't burn or smolder.

Kevin

Serious question here..

OK you said "big football" nests. The wasps down here don't build those. However hornets do.

I am assuming you guys are referring to hornet nests.

Down here the wasps build paper nests but they are a flat circular affair made up of multiple individual connected cells. A honeycomb made of paper would be a decent description.

Would those still work or do I need to go climb a tree and get a hornet nest?

I don't own a smoothie... Yet. So I'm not sure I would have any need for nest for wadding. Could it substitute as a patch for round ball in a rifle in a pinch?

Mike

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 03:43:28 PM »
Your probably right I don't know wasp from hornet I just know that I don't mess with them when they are active.
Patching for RB? I have no idea, guess you just need .018 nest that you can lube. ;)
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 03:55:47 PM »
Some of these responses disregaurd the OP point about inflammable wadding to keep from setting the dry grain field on fire. The english ivy leaves are sort of evergreen and would retain enough moisture even in fall to keep them from smoldering, the tow and wasp nest, maybe not so much.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 06:13:30 PM »
Some of these responses disregaurd the OP point about inflammable wadding to keep from setting the dry grain field on fire. The english ivy leaves are sort of evergreen and would retain enough moisture even in fall to keep them from smoldering, the tow and wasp nest, maybe not so much.

You are correct in this David.
I have heard that the wasp/hornet nest will not burn or smoulder when fired, but it Will burn if ignited with a match.
For this reason I only use it as a wad between powder and patched ball when hunting and gun left loaded for longer periods.
Someone mentioned tow, and it can make good wadding, but can also burn and would be worrisome in dry harvest fields.

Yes, the ivy I mentioned is an ever-green, and thank you for clarifying that, David!

Very best,
Richard.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 06:23:43 PM »
Yeah, I guess Tow wouldn't be a good choice since it starts fires so good. I just use it for starting fires and cleaning.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 06:26:28 PM »
Pete,
I think tow is The best thing available for cleaning.   Have some old rolls came with me here 34 years ago.  Marvelous stuff and still plenty left.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 06:34:45 PM »
It just seems like the right way to clean a sidelock. It gives me that warm fuzzy feeling.

At some point when I can afford it, I need to get the proper clothing too. I won't do dress up for BP events. I'll wear them full time. They call me the old mountain man around here anyway. Might as well look like one. I might wash up more though. Just a little.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 08:51:59 PM »
Overshot card wads at Track are the very best thing for shot loads, imho. Cheap, too.  If the gun has a choke, better patterns can be had using normal overpower card wads, then a 1/2" fiber wad,

lubed or not, then shot, then overshot card wad. Some people put an overshot card over the cushion wad - I don't and get terrific patterns.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 08:53:41 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 11:14:54 PM »
Poison Ivy?

Uh...we do have our share of the poison variety but I know how to avoid it.  It's mostly creeping English ivy, though.   8)

Paper wasp nest works good with hornet nest being more better.  Stay away from mud dauber nests, BAD
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 06:07:56 PM »
Even the thought of Poison Ivy gives me horrible recall of the stuff.  As a kid who loved the woods I seemed to manage to make contact with the stuff before it leafed out each spring resulting in arms swollen to twice their size and scabby weeping for a couple weeks.  Became pretty expert in identifying the stuff bare stemmed or leafed out but in the Army during hours of darkness still plagued by it.  Finally found a reasonably quick cure - a steroid shot followed by steroid pills and bath the area with Borough's Solution to take the itch away as well as drying up the blisters.  For those of you plagued by the stuff as I have been, the treatment which works for me is given here.  I hate the stuff so bad I live in the dry western states now to avoid the infestation which exists in PA and West Virginia.  Fels Naptha or similar strong soap showers after being around the plants helps a lot.  Wash the dog first as the resin on their coat and your clothing can transfer for sometime afterward.   

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 09:35:22 PM »
I spent many hours soaking in a tub full of potassium permanganate - made me even browner than normal. All I had to do after this first 'infection' was to walk by some and I'd break out.
Daryl

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 10:12:00 PM »
And some of us can handle it without a problem.  At Fort Knox, taking anti-tank training, in 70s we had guys reporting to sick bay for it. I was the guy hiding out in big patches of it as I knew no one would look that hard for me. Would come out with it stuck in my helmet for camouflage. Most would run from me.  Yes, I could be a jerk when I wanted to be. 
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA