Author Topic: Ivy leaves.  (Read 5402 times)

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: Ivy leaves.
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 11:49:51 PM »
TN,

When I stayed a few days with Ron Ehlert back in '03, we walked his woods, he telling me the names of the  different trees down there.
Also told me, "Never shake hands with a three fingered man"  I remember that!

I recall I'd picked a small bunch of Locust thorns.    He was going to get back on his quad, but looked at me, and the thorns and said in his gruff way,"'Gimme them!"  and put them in his carrier up front!   Like he didn't trust me.   Fine fine man, was Ron.
......and Belle could count!

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2018, 12:52:27 AM »
I've always been able to touch and brush up against poison ivy and not break out.  But if the leaves were crushed even a little I'd break out with the stuff.  But the inflammation I got was rather mild.

I guess it's the right time to share a funny story from my misbegotten youth.  I majored in Forestry in college and graduated with my 5 year degree.  One professor that I dearly loved was a gruff, no nonsense guy who took us on walks through wild areas of campus; now sadly all paved and built upon.

One days class found us in a "bowl" next to one of the buildings that was a few acres in size and noted for having a great variety of plant species.  He always carried a a clipper for reaching up and plucking leaves and twigs.  You can guess that most of us were country boys and knew what a lot of plants were.  Well, he reach up and plucked a twig with leaves from a tree trunk.  Now, this great professor never smiled or laughed at his students. 

He held up the clipper with the twig in the pincers and asked, "Who knows what this is"?  Now we all, most of us, anyway, knew what we were looking at.  One kid immediately stepped up to examine the sample.  No one cracked a smile or said anything.  This "city slicker" kid took the sample, studied it briefly, smelled it and said, "Hmmm, I don't know for sure".  The straight faced prof announced, "poison ivy".  Kinda felt sorry for the kid but I think he just chose the wrong major.       
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 04:44:33 AM »
Reckin we could use the Kudzu ???  Sho is plenty of it during growin season, specially in the southland,we even have some of the infernal stuff here in WVa.. Dave 8) 8)

ddoyle

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2018, 11:38:54 PM »
The thing about ivy is that once cut it remains green for a very, very long time. There is a cut string of ivy in a brush pile here that has been looking the exact same for at least a  year. The fir boughs that it is entangled in have long started to shed needles and get crackly dry. The ivy is still maleable- green and moist. If you stick some ivy wadding in your bag today it will be useable for a very long time.

...and they said I'd never learn nuthin useful at school ;)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 11:39:45 PM by ddoyle »

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 08:16:12 AM »
Dave,

I did all my larnin' After school!