Author Topic: Revolutionary War Era Iron Mounted Pennsylvania Rifle???  (Read 9080 times)

54ball

Re: Revolutionary War Era Iron Mounted Pennsylvania Rifle???
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 05:04:55 PM »
Were narrow buttstocks and deeply curved crescent buttplates something that sprung up in the 1780s to 1790s in Appalachia but didn’t catch on in the rest of the country for another 20 years?  Do we have any documentation about that, for example a signed iron-mounted, narrow buttstocked rifle with a deep crescent buttplate by a maker who died pre-1810?

Where do these dates come from?

I've held one in my hands. It was brass. The maker was Thomas Simpson, the patchbox dated 1803. While not like 1830s crescents this Simpson Rifle had a definate crescent and the buttstock was thinner than what you would expect for 1803. I have had long conversations with the gunsmith who owns the 1803 Simpson about how I would date it later if not for the 1803 date on the box. Bonified dates are rare on Rifles. There are two known Simpsons, the Mansker Rifle and the 1803 owned by this gunsmith. Simpson is of what Hankla coined....The Cumberland School.

The same gunsmith has an attributed John Bull that he feels could be late 1790s. The Bull Rifle is a big robust rifle trimmed in iron. The crescent is not unlike the rifles mentioned above. Interestingly, the Bull has a slight step-toe, (step-wrist). Another old mystery rifle came in for repair a couple of years back, it too had features like the step toe. The Bull Rifle would just about fit in the tracing of the mystery rifle. I don't think Bull made the mystery rifle but it was close kin......a regional thing I would surmise. That region......West of the Blue Ridge.

Mel Hankla has the Humble Brothers rifles. The Conrad Humble rifle has a pronounced peak at the heel. Too the buttstock is rather thin for a 1791 and before made rifle. Conrad died in 1791.

At the Alabama show I got to speak with Mel. We feel there is something there. Something was going on in the West by these Over the mountains gunsmiths.
 Makers....
 Sheetz,
 Jacob Young
 Thomas Simpson
 John Bull
 Possibly the Homakers
 Conrad and Micheal Humble
 and maybe more we do not know of.

Rich....It goes the other way too!
The Lauks of Va...Winchester. There is a link with JP Beck to the Lauks. Becks first wife was a Lauk. A lot of Lauk rifles, epscially 2nd generation have Early features but are 19th Century rifles. These Lauks are in brass and have incised carving into the 1830s

I have seen a good many what I call Valley Rifles at the Front Royal show. These are 19th Century Rifles some have nearly or have straight barrels but overall they have what I consider early Pa type features. The exception being some have more of a crescent butt than others. They tend to have smallish triggerguards and small English style locks. The stock shape is a throwback to early Pa And Va Style. Most are unsigned and rather plain.

I'll close with this thought. Kentucky Rifle development is taught as a linear string. This string runs East to West....North to South. This may be a good way to simplify an incredibly complicated subject. Instead of linear development Like a string, I think it's more like a cloth. It has many strands that go up down and back and forth......a tapestry.

54ball

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 05:30:06 PM »
 Dave,

As far as the post war import of locks, consider this.

New Orleans, Pensacola and Mobile. All were Spanish post Revolution. Patton and Leslie out of South Carolina one of the major British trading firms relocated to Pensacola after the Revolution.

These Spanish ports could have provided a back door for English arms and components. The Cumberland is a tributary to the Tennessee which flows into the Ohio and the Ohio to the Mississippi. We do know major river trade goes down the Ohio to New Orleans.

So Keels and the Natchez Trace could provide a water and overland route for English goods.
 New Orleans and even Carribean ports could provide deep water access to American Merchantmen.

In theory you could have the Western Route for English Contraband....the rivers or overland from Spanish Territory or the Eastern route from American Ports through places like New Orleans and other Spanish Ports.
 More research needs to be done.

The Americas were a driving force for the British Arms Industry. Evidence shows the Spanish were trading or letting foreign arms trade take place in her territory in this late period.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2018, 07:01:58 PM »
Hi Travis,
Thanks for that information. The big driving forces for British arms makers were British ordnance, East India Company, and Hudson's Bay Co.  I am sure there are plausible routes people can identify for English imports that violated the embargo to the US but that pipeline probably was very restricted compared to when the embargo was lifted so the probability of an American gun with a Ketland&Co. marked lock before 1792 was much lower than after legal trade began again.  I wonder also, if the lock was contraband, would a maker want the Ketland name on it proving it is contraband?  Then of course, there is the other benchmark, Ketland began marking their locks "Ketland & Co" after 1785.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2018, 07:14:58 PM »
Whenever we have to cite potential extraordinary circumstances to accommodate an attribution or estimated date for a gun it adds another asterisk to the date for me.  The more of those, the less plausible.

Wonder why the Old Holston Rifle has a wide, flat buttplate, if there was an early trend toward deeply curved, very narrow buttplates among those forging their mounts out of iron. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2018, 07:29:59 PM »
Does anyone have any information or ideas about the iron mounted square barreled rifle in the collection at Valley Forge?

I have some info and a photo somewhere but will have to dig it out. As well as I remember very plain, little hardware and the barrel was a re-used one maybe Dutch?
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

54ball

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2018, 02:36:46 AM »
 Rich,
 I do believe the Old Holston Rifle has a wide butt. All I ever seen of Old Holston have been modern inspired copies. The butt appears to be a one piece folded over at the heel forging not unlike what is found in brass on some Lehighs. Also the trigger guard is an open bow.

It may and I stress may have been Wallace Gusler that attributed the rifle to William Bean. Again I'm not sure if it was Gusler who attributed the rifle to Bean.

William Bean has a cabin not far from the Holston and Watauga Rivers. Bean was one of the if not the first settler in the Watauga region. I do believe he was there in 1769. The Old Holston could be 1769-1775 if made by Bean. This makes it pre Rev War and a Early rifle by any standard.

William Bean was the patriarch of the Bean family of Tennessee builders. Interestingly enough the Bean and Bull families are linked by marriage in the second generation of Bean gunbuilders.

The Old Holston could be 15 to 20 years earlier than the rifles in question.

I do believe the Revolution plays a role in this development....all the moving and exchanging of ideas. If you have Dennis' book on the Gillespies, that family did a lot of moving around in the 1770s-80s.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2018, 02:49:43 AM »
Does anyone have any information or ideas about the iron mounted square barreled rifle in the collection at Valley Forge?

I'd bet a considerable amount of money that, despite the greasehole, it was stocked in Scandinavia, not the Americas. Square barrels are a Scandinavian thing, and the stock architecture fits well with other Scandinavian examples, IMHO.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2018, 04:24:03 AM »
Hi Elnathan,
I suspect the same thing.  I believe some years ago, someone posted photos of a very similar gun made in some Scandinavian country.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2018, 04:28:53 PM »
OK I found the photos Valley Forge sent me. I also have some information on the gun but for the life of me I can not find it. I am almost positive that in the info it says the barrel was European and I believe it was Dutch. If you look close at the TG/RR pipes I bet they too were re-used from another gun.

I will keep looking for the info, it includes where the gun came from, I keep thinking SC but I have no idea if that is correct or not.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2018, 04:43:37 PM »
Dennis,
To me, the pipes and t-guard appear leftovers from the late 17th C, and European, even English, but would bet Dutch or French.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2018, 05:03:22 PM »
Is it birch stocked?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2018, 09:20:31 PM »
Never did find my notes but I did find this discussion thread started by Rich Pouncey (aka Woodsrunner) who is the owner of the David Dodds copy. I see that my memory about the barrel being Ductch was correct. He states that the TG is French and
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=1235.msg14385#msg14385

I have handled this copy and its a very nice handling gun, Rich had it for sale and I seriously considered buying it but when Rich described how bad it kicked I backed off!
Dennis