Author Topic: Flintlock mechanism issue - lack of frizzen full open  (Read 9177 times)

jrubin

Flintlock mechanism issue - lack of frizzen full open
« on: January 21, 2018, 08:48:46 PM »
Decided to test the amount of spark produced on the TVM rifle today, and noticed that the frizzen doesn't not come to full open upon firing. As i had teken the pictures it seem tightening the flint may have fixed it or it may have been several attempts that loosened something allowed it to operate.  Not sure, So I staged an example of the condition below. Is lead better than leather in this regard as a flint holder?

Half cocked

Flints from TOTW same size as the one installed

Condition seen
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:50:11 PM by jrubin »

Offline little joe

Re: Flintlock mechanism issue - lack of frizzen full open
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 08:58:26 PM »
Try oil on the frizzen to spring contact point and some oil at the frizzen screw area

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 09:02:05 PM »
Sharp flint-bevel down perhaps? Try polishing the foot of the frizzen and the contact point on the frizzen spring.
Stop Marxism in America

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 09:45:37 PM »
A couple of other considerations, how heavy is the frizzen spring, does the frizzen scrape on the side of the barrel, does the frizzen flip all the way open when the lock is out of the gun?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 11:56:12 PM »
It could be "rebounding" , opening all the way then coming back.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 12:10:59 AM »
Appears to me that the flint is too short.  Or the cock isn’t traveling far enough toward the pan.

Flint reinstalled with bevel down May be enough. On some this can be remedied by placing a twig behind the flint.  I don’t think that’s work with that particular flint, the hump may be too far forward for the top jaw to hold it.  Saw you have a package of flints, sorting may find one that will work.
TC
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:18:45 AM by Standing Bear »
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 02:21:33 AM »
I agree with Standing Bear.  At half cock the flint should be no more than 1/16" or a little more from the frizzen.  You either need to  put something behind the flint to move it forward, get a longer size flint and/or turn the flint bevel down.  And the frizzen just might be rebounding.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Molly

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 02:52:29 AM »
Flint looks too short.  No lead IMO.

Offline varsity07840

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 03:35:44 AM »
It could be "rebounding" , opening all the way then coming back.

Yes. Put your hand ahead of the frizzen at a point where the top would be if fully open. If it hits your hand , it's a rebound issue.
I have several rifles that will sometimes rebound if dry fired but never do it when actually fired. Must be the recoil. I don't mess with them.

jrubin

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 04:16:56 AM »
I can confirm this is not a rebound issue,
How tight should the flint be in the leather? seems this is something that would require constant attention

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 04:18:22 AM »
I agree with Standing Bear.  At half cock the flint should be no more than 1/16" or a little more from the frizzen.  You either need to  put something behind the flint to move it forward, get a longer size flint and/or turn the flint bevel down.  And the frizzen just might be rebounding.
My Kibler 32 caliber flint I am sure is to short. If I allow a small gap between frizzen and flint I have a big gap behind flint.
What size flint does the Ketland flintlock require.
iloco

Black Hand

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 04:28:08 AM »
I can confirm this is not a rebound issue,
How tight should the flint be in the leather? seems this is something that would require constant attention
Fairly tight - once tightened, I rarely need to mess with the screw. Use a piece of leather.

jrubin

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 04:39:23 AM »
According to TVM, using the Chamber Siler lock, the flint size is correct at 3/4 x 7/8.    Begs the question, how much use can you get out of then when successive knapping makes them shorter and shorter?

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 07:32:21 AM »
A good lock will knap its own flints very often.
By this I mean you can often go 40 shots or more with no knapping.
I'd turn your flint over, as that kind of makes it longer anyway.  Tighten it well and if it works, forget about it.   Tight, not just snug.

Good luck!,
R.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 10:41:46 AM »
According to TVM, using the Chamber Siler lock, the flint size is correct at 3/4 x 7/8.    Begs the question, how much use can you get out of then when successive knapping makes them shorter and shorter?

My larger Siler, mounted in a TVM Early Virginia smooth rifle, has the flints last long enough, even before needing to be knapped, that I loose track of how many shots have been fired, and I totally loose track of how many shots I get per flint before changing flints. I do at somw point need to move the flint forward in the jaws as the lock does perform best when the flint edge is so close to the frizzen at half cock that use of a leather frizzen stall leaves the pan open a hair.  I only use leather as a pad, but slightly thicker than what the o.p. shows, but it is also slightly spongy so it all compresses together.

Offline Molly

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 03:33:51 PM »
The flint does not have to be against the screw.  The more important aspect is where it strikes the frizzen and I can say it should be well up from where the photo shows.  Also cut a few "teeth" in the jaw(s) to hold the leather and flint better. 

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 03:50:17 PM »
Rebounding??
I sat in on a lock tuning session by Keith Casteele this year at Dixon's.
I remember him saying that when that happens it is most often actually the frizzen rebounding, not failing to open.
Sorry but I don't recall the remedy?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 04:39:12 PM »
Rebounding??
I sat in on a lock tuning session by Keith Casteele this year at Dixon's.
I remember him saying that when that happens it is most often actually the frizzen rebounding, not failing to open.
Sorry but I don't recall the remedy?

One remedy is to extend the leather to the upper edge of the flint and if
there is a rebound that can break the flint it will be stopped.

Bob Roller

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 07:54:35 PM »
Judging from the picture, I think the problem is that the scrape didn't finish instead of a rebound.  A rebounding frizzen comes to rest on top of the flint. The picture shows the flint a distance above the bottom edge of the frizzen. The frizzen hasn't cammed over yet.  This information my just my gut.  Advice like this and 50 cents won't quite buy you a coke anymore.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 08:10:51 PM »
Wouldn't rebounding happen if the frizzen spring was too weak? How about too stiff?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 09:28:15 PM »
Spring problem - feather or main - feather too strong & improperly timed --- or main much too weak

Frizzen too soft with flint digging in and stopping. If this is the case, it is unlikely to be producing any sparks - at least, no white hot ones

We have not seen a picture of the cock at full throw, just with the flint resting on or dug into the frizzen's face (which is unlikely to be full throw).

Cock at full throw should have the flint, even a short one, closer to the pan so that it has scraped the frizzen full length. It is

obvious the flint is in the shady area of too short, but the cock's top jaw has not hit the frizzen, thus the lock should have worked.

If the flint is too short to work at all, the top jaw - or screw would have struck the frizzen's face.

If this last picture is the cock at full through, the lock needs a new, properly made tumbler.

In that lock, my opinion is the flint is too short to be shot bevel up causing it to strike the frizzen too far down it's face.  In this lock, the flint should have been mounted bevel down, so it scrapes more of the frizzen's face.

Lets see a picture of the cock at full throw.

A rebounding frizzen should be striking the flint just back from the top front edge.  The fix for that is different timing on the
frizzen's throw and rebound, along with possibly a stiffer feather spring.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:30:21 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 12:08:28 AM »
Yes, use leather to hold the flint and keep it snug.  As flints in my rifle wear and shorten, I move them forward in the cock and put something behind them to keep them from being pushed back.  I remember one flint that finally got so short the jaws couldn't grip it.  that's one flint I know had over 100 shots; I quit counting after 100.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

jrubin

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 02:43:11 AM »
Spring problem - feather or main - feather too strong & improperly timed --- or main much too weak

Frizzen too soft with flint digging in and stopping. If this is the case, it is unlikely to be producing any sparks - at least, no white hot ones

We have not seen a picture of the cock at full throw, just with the flint resting on or dug into the frizzen's face (which is unlikely to be full throw).

Cock at full throw should have the flint, even a short one, closer to the pan so that it has scraped the frizzen full length. It is

obvious the flint is in the shady area of too short, but the cock's top jaw has not hit the frizzen, thus the lock should have worked.

If the flint is too short to work at all, the top jaw - or screw would have struck the frizzen's face.

If this last picture is the cock at full through, the lock needs a new, properly made tumbler.

In that lock, my opinion is the flint is too short to be shot bevel up causing it to strike the frizzen too far down it's face.  In this lock, the flint should have been mounted bevel down, so it scrapes more of the frizzen's face.

Lets see a picture of the cock at full throw.

A rebounding frizzen should be striking the flint just back from the top front edge.  The fix for that is different timing on the
frizzen's throw and rebound, along with possibly a stiffer feather spring.

I think I found the problem.......

The loose flint was deflecting instead of knocking open the frizzen. Tightening solved the problem. Im providing the picture anyway as requested an hope to have a movie to you shortly.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:43:54 AM by jrubin »

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 02:48:26 AM »
your frizzen is also or has been scraping the barrel.
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

jrubin

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 04:01:02 PM »
so it would appear, ill give a closer inspection in light of that