Author Topic: How to develop a load?  (Read 2742 times)

John Ciccone

How to develop a load?
« on: January 23, 2018, 01:05:35 AM »
I am looking to develop a load for a .45 caliber long rifle. I have been advised by the builder that it should be using a .451 ball with a .018 patch. What I want to start with is determining different powder charges for different distances.

My goal is to come up with different powder charges for different distances: 25, 50, and 100 yards. Ideally I want to use a sub six hold. But I wonder if this will really be possible. At any rate, I will be starting with 55 grains of 3F Swiss and increasing charges by 5 grains. Does this make sense? Any suggestions? Should be using smaller differences, perhaps 2 or 3 grain steps?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: How to develop a load?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 01:56:17 AM »
My approach would be to work on a ball/patch combo first and confirm what you’ve been told or adjust as needed.

Not an expert but been working on loads.  When your patches can be re-used, I’d move on to powder.
Andover, Vermont

Offline snapper

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 03:21:18 AM »
John

Yes it is very possible, it is what I do for my round ball rifles.    As you know each rifle is different what you end up with for a load at each yardage will vary.  Going from 50 yards to 100 yards will certainly take more than 5 grains.

I struggle with a 6 o'clock hold since the size of the targets I shoot at vary in size.  If you are shooting at paper targets that are known and dont change then you should be fine.

fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 04:18:43 AM »
I think you are going to be stopped dead in the water when you start trying to get that patch ball combination down the barrel. I shoot a .440 ball, and an eighteen thousandths patch, over fifty five grains of 3F powder. The twist in my barrel is 1in48”. Slower twist will require larger charges.

Hungry Horse

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 04:20:02 AM »
All good advice so far, also I would shoot several shots for each group you shoot so you can be sure to discount flyers. I like to shoot 10 shot groups. Measure each group or save targets and keep a note book with the results. Only change one variable at a time.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 04:47:41 PM »
I have 2 that shoot 50 gr FFg at 25 & 50 then 75 at 100 same center hold all the way.

Try the recommended .451 as well as .445s.  A lot depends on the crown of the barrel.  My .40 uses .395s w a .022” denim patch wet w saliva. Pop it in w a nubbin on a short start then down the bore w a rod.  Used to shoot .403 and .015 patch but the mold “disappeared”.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 05:01:39 PM »
I run a .015 patch with a .451 ,no prob.... green mountain barrel sound right...I can't remember ,it was 10 years ago..But had one of NH's finest flintlock builders put it on for me ..David Price.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 10:12:20 PM »
All good advice so far, also I would shoot several shots for each group you shoot so you can be sure to discount flyers. I like to shoot 10 shot groups. Measure each group or save targets and keep a note book with the results. Only change one variable at a time.

all good stuff - also - do not use phony powders in your ML's

standard ball diameters for most commercial .45's will run .440" and .445". These ball diameters are for bores that are .450" or very nearly so.

Much depends on the intended use. For chunk, bench or plank shooting, the .451" and .018" patch will likely work just fine.  .454" TO .457" might be even better

if using Teflon-coated patching with wiping between shots.

For trail walks, gentle competition and hunting, a .440" or .445" ball and .018" to .022" patch is likely to be the best. I use water based lubes for target, oils for hunting, as in

Track's Mink Oil or Neetsfoot Oil (not compound)  Never use water based nor water soluble oils for hunting. They attract water, do not protect and water will cause cancer in your bore.

Powder charges will be what the rifle wants you to use - do not try to get the gun to work with what YOU want, use what it wants - if you want it to do it's best. 

In this case, I'd start at 55gr. 3F or 60gr. 2F and go from there.  I checked JoAnne's Fabrics in Yuma when there in December & they had 11 ounce Denim. I did not see 10 ounce.

Either of those will work with .440" or .445".  8 ounce will also work with .445" balls in square rifling. In deeper round bottom rifling, I'd use the 10 ounce with .445" balls.

I personally used 10 ounce denim in my .45 GM barrel with .445" balls.  It's accuracy load for 50yards and further was .445" ball, 10 ounce denim and either - 75gr. 3F or 85gr. 2F.

Both of those loads produced just over 2,200fps and shot quite well to 200yards, but also made 1/2", 5-shot groups at 50 yards.  Shot without wiping, of course.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 11:08:04 PM »
Ball sizes of .440" and .445" work well in both my .45s.  Cotton canvas duck works well for patches in my rifles.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Frank

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 11:32:52 PM »
.440 ball, .020 patch and 50 grains of 3F work great in my Rice 45 caliber radius rifled barrel.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 04:05:48 AM »
I find that running the biggest ball you can get away with....along with a patch that won't burn out.....has always produced great groups for me....and always FFF for calibers under 50..... some old timer told me that,along time ago.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 11:51:03 PM »
I like to work up loads in my rifles for both 3F and 2f, regardless of calibre, down to .40- THEN record that information, specific to that rifle.

Accuracy and cleanliness of shooting, was equal - never requiring wiping while shooting a string or day's event. 2F usually requires 5 to 10gr.

MORE powder to get the same accuracy and speed, as 3F.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 01:08:17 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V