Author Topic: Bear oil  (Read 7730 times)

Offline Scota4570

Bear oil
« on: January 23, 2018, 05:08:28 AM »
I will never have opportunity to shoot a bear.  I did read Ned Roberts book over and over when I was growing up.  I was really surprised to come across this, real bear oil?

https://www.pharmapacks.com/products.php?product=EKO-Oil-Bear-4-oz

Anyone know if it is real?  I'm tempted to buy some and see how it does.  Old Ned thought a lot of it, second only to sperm oil.   

Offline Mauser06

Re: Bear oil
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 05:26:30 AM »
Best I found with a quick search is no... doesn't even contain bear oil from what I've read. 

If you want bear oil or grease, make a WTB post...Id bet someone might have some for sale...

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 06:10:31 PM »
Careful boys, some states consider it a crime to sell any part of a game animal. That goes double for bears, since they are often poached for their gallbladder.

Hungry Horse

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 06:13:29 PM »
Try this. I've used it and it works good. I asked him what ratio of tallow to beeswax and he said it's 90% bear tallow. Probably why the price is high.

http://www.octobercountry.com/bumblin-bear-grease-4-oz/

Between this and Mink Oil from TOW I like the Mink Oil better. I have plenty of bear fat from the bears I hunt, but I give it all to my Lakota friend.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 07:42:17 PM »
It is illegal to sell game animal parts here . I render my own bear grease and oil, which I can gift to others, but not sell. It is also illegal to possess a bear gall bladder, even if you shot the bear legally. 

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 07:53:15 PM »
It is illegal to sell game animal parts here . I render my own bear grease and oil, which I can gift to others, but not sell. It is also illegal to possess a bear gall bladder, even if you shot the bear legally.
Where does it say we can't sell animal parts on here? No beaver hides, no antlers, no horns??

ltdann

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 07:57:04 PM »
Where does it say we can't sell animal parts on here? No beaver hides, no antlers, no horns??
It's federal law, I'm pretty sure.  There's an exception for horns and hides.  Each state has different rules.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 07:58:18 PM »

I don't see anybody selling animal parts in this thread?

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 08:07:21 PM »
I read the "here" as the state he lives in. Not on this forum. My 2 cents. Take it for what it is worth.
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 08:23:18 PM »
I read the "here" as the state he lives in. Not on this forum. My 2 cents. Take it for what it is worth.

Yes, but why even bring it up? Nobody was doing it.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 08:41:24 PM »
Stick to topic, please. Bear oil, where to get it, good substitutes.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 09:47:45 PM »

Bob is from Ontario, CANADA. In Ontario it appears to be illegal to sell animal parts. 

Here in BC, we can sell the oil, hides, skulls, antlers, bones, you name it, EXCEPT it is illegal to sell Bear Gal Bladders.  Possession? I doubt there is a problem with mere possession here, but

I would not push it. Why keep it?  It's garbage for normal people.

No bears in your area? - fine - buy Track's Mink Oil. I find it works exceptionally well for patch lube. Neetsfoot OIL also works as a patch lube for hunting. I think this has been covered before. ???
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:50:35 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 03:23:48 AM »
I use to know a taxidermist who on occasion got a bear in his shop to mount, prepare the hide, etc. He had no trouble in saving me some of the fat which I rendered myself. Maybe you could check with a few in your area and procure some.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 05:50:10 AM »
How does bear grease compare to deer tallow as a patch lube?   Used the letter for years, but patches get  stiff at 20 and more below.  Thaw them in mouth and they work,

Nice  old bear, Justin!

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 07:28:47 AM »
I like bear grease much better. It stays softer in cold weather. It has a consistency like bacon grease rather than hard tallow.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 11:46:00 PM »
If the fat is rendered in a double boiler, not in a pan over direct heat, you will get more oil from the process & it will separate out of the 'grease', to be poured off later.  This oil will be clear, like water, not cloudy or mushy with shortening.
It's very nice stuff, but I do not see it as being superior, more likely equal to Track's Mink Oil as a patch lube.

Marmot oil is also good & a good water-proofer for leather boots.

The fat from around the organs is of higher oil content than the heavy fat outside the cavity, on all animals.

You can take a lump of marmot innard's fat and just rub it on your boots. Done. Then, you will need to wash your hands, quite likely twice with dish washing fluid, to get the oil off them.
It's quite incredible.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:48:22 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 12:33:31 AM »
If the fat is rendered in a double boiler, not in a pan over direct heat, you will get more oil from the process & it will separate out of the 'grease', to be poured off later.  This oil will be clear, like water, not cloudy or mushy with shortening.
It's very nice stuff, but I do not see it as being superior, more likely equal to Track's Mink Oil as a patch lube.

Marmot oil is also good & a good water-proofer for leather boots.

The fat from around the organs is of higher oil content than the heavy fat outside the cavity, on all animals.

You can take a lump of marmot innard's fat and just rub it on your boots. Done. Then, you will need to wash your hands, quite likely twice with dish washing fluid, to get the oil off them.
It's quite incredible.

Yes, and if you try to wash up with cold water it won't work as good as hot water. Which is one of the reasons to use hot water to clean a bore. At least for some of us. :)

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 07:03:16 PM »
I got 12 quarts of lard from a bear I killed fall before last and that was only 2/3 of the fat on her, but rendered it in a Frydaddy and only got lard, no oil.  I found it worked better as patch lube in some of my rilfes, worse in others.  On one it seemed to make the patches slip and groups were all over the place, much worse than anything else I tried in that gun.  Other guns it grouped better.  Loaded easier in all and all seemed easier to clean afterwards though.  Above 70 degrees it startes turning to liquid and is slick, nasty stuff to use.  Overall I concluded it was much better for baking biscuits and pie crusts, as well as a base for soap.  But I'll try again next bear to produce oil instead of lard.

As an aside, it is great for a warm summer shoot to grab a dollap in your palm and shake your buddy's hand mid-match - he'll never be able to get any grip on his ramrod again that day.   ;D

Here in MD you can't sell anything off a bear, which means the buyer would probably be in as much trouble as the sellar.  I don't think I'd even risk an order for the stuff to buy it here.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2018, 07:11:42 PM »
I have a deal with my Lakota friend. When I kill a bear he comes and takes all the fat off it. I hate the stuff and don't want anything to do with it.

I think Mink Oil makes a better patch lube and it's the only use I might have for bear fat and I don't even need that.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 07:20:54 PM »
Yes, and if you try to wash up with cold water it won't work as good as hot water. Which is one of the reasons to use hot water to clean a bore. At least for some of us. :)

You clean how you clean, I'll clean how we clean. As long as you get your gun clean, that's what matters.
Cold water cleans out the tiny amount of fouling left in our bores just fine - as in almost instantly - like Taylor's and Len's and Ron's and Neils, and Reagan's, my wife's barrel and Justin's, and Norm's. I could go on but I won't.  Supposing that using an oil or grease for lube then cold water to clean wonh't work, is suggesting there is an oily residue or buildup left in the bore after shooting - that is incorrect.  There is none. If you want to use hot water and continue to make up excuses for doing so - carry on. I really care not at this point.  However, is someone wants to know what I use for shooting components, or lubes for various shooting and how I clean my guns, I will tell them.   
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 07:22:37 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 07:58:04 PM »
Daryl..........Ok, fine. I thought that's what we did? We keep hammering home our point. I won't mention hot water if you won't mention cold water anymore.

Although I do find it hard to believe that all the patch lube we coat out bores with just disappears. Maybe all that WD-40 you use cleans it out?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2018, 08:23:24 PM »
Osprey, after I'm done rendering the fat I let the jars sit on the counter for two-three days and the oil always floats to the top of the jar. Just curious if you do it the same way.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2018, 12:43:04 AM »
Tried that Smylee, no oil here for me.   :(
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Black Hand

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2018, 02:22:35 AM »
It seems to depend on the level of heat used during rendering whether you get (mostly) grease or oil. Low and slow tends to yield grease and it may take some time for the oil to separate (if ever).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 02:27:07 AM by Black Hand »

Offline little joe

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2018, 08:00:52 PM »
Daryl Are you saying that all of the lube is shot out each shot.

You clean how you clean, I'll clean how we clean. As long as you get your gun clean, that's what matters.
Cold water cleans out the tiny amount of fouling left in our bores just fine - as in almost instantly - like Taylor's and Len's and Ron's and Neils, and Reagan's, my wife's barrel and Justin's, and Norm's. I could go on but I won't.  Supposing that using an oil or grease for lube then cold water to clean wonh't work, is suggesting there is an oily residue or buildup left in the bore after shooting - that is incorrect.  There is none. If you want to use hot water and continue to make up excuses for doing so - carry on. I really care not at this point.  However, is someone wants to know what I use for shooting components, or lubes for various shooting and how I clean my guns, I will tell them.