Author Topic: Bear oil  (Read 7729 times)

ddoyle

Re: Bear oil
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2018, 08:20:04 PM »
No Justin you cannot sell a beaver hide- unless you have a trapper's lisc and are dealing with a lisc. buyer and pay the Queen her cut.

I'd be pretty wary of selling/trading for bear oil. If you create the perception that you are profiting from a dead bear in B.C there is an even chance it will become an issue.  Besides that l'ill bear never gave you a surplus.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2018, 12:44:50 AM »
little joe - what I am saying, is our barrels clean perfectly with ordinary cold or cool tap water.  Does that mean all the oil is shot out? I don't know, does it?  Does it mean that with the fire

and pressure generated when shooting, that the oil has been changed to something that cleans well with just water? I do not know, but I know that our guns clean with just plain cold water.

I know that the fouling is "moist" & that the next load goes in a down easily, with zero wiping - every time.  If you wait for 5minutes before loading again, the bore will be dry and that previous

shot's fouling will be dry and crusty when shoving down the next one - which is why we load immediately after firing the gun - we only prime on the firing line, though.

There is no oily residue in the bore - none, which is likely why it cleans so easily with plain water, just as Holland and Holland of England instructed.  They said to NEVER use hot water due to the

flash rusting that occurs.  That, I was well aware of myself- in my TC rifle and every one of the Bauska barrels I used.  They all flash rusted when hot water was used for cleaning. After reading

that letter from that world renowned gun maker and following their instructions, I never had another barrel flash-rust, nor did I ever rust a gun's bore.

I'd think a gun maker who builds rifles & shotguns costing way over - well - POA (Price On Request) -  & has been in business for almost 200 years making those fines rifles and shotguns, might know what they were

talking about.  The last rifle they made for Prince Charles, was something close to $250,000.00. They do make guns for the 'peasants' like us, that only cost $20,000.00 to $60,000.00- pre-owned,

of course.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2018, 01:05:08 AM »
Do you think the materials used on a 1/4 million dollar gun might be different than my $500 gun?

I'd prefer to take advice from the maker of the $500 gun.

Here's the problem we're having Daryl. I'm not trying to tell you your method doesn't work, but you're trying to tell me my method doesn't work. Yet, we both have clean guns with no rust.

Offline little joe

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2018, 02:31:45 AM »
Daryl I do not agree with you but being broad minded I will use cold water the next time I shoot, and let you know the results.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2018, 04:03:51 AM »
Do you think the materials used on a 1/4 million dollar gun might be different than my $500 gun?

I'd prefer to take advice from the maker of the $500 gun.

Here's the problem we're having Daryl. I'm not trying to tell you your method doesn't work, but you're trying to tell me my method doesn't work. Yet, we both have clean guns with no rust.

Then, since you have all the answers, tell me why so many people here get flash rusting with hot water and have now switched to cold water & no longer get rusting, but perfectly clean guns.

I am not telling YOU not to use hot water, however I am telling new people they should use cold.  IF per chance you do get flash rusting, it's effects are accumulative. 

I am not alone, and likely, neither are you, obviously, some others have read they should use hot water, or some other chemical concoctions that are not needed.

I have also said repeatedly right here at ALR about cleaning with hot water, that not ALL barrel steels react the same & that it is possible some barrels might not show this rusting.

I guess you missed that.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 04:05:47 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Daryl

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2018, 04:14:07 AM »
Daryl I do not agree with you but being broad minded I will use cold water the next time I shoot, and let you know the results.

Your test is going to show what?  What lube do you use? I noted no trouble cleaning after using Neetsfoot Oil, bear oil, marmot oil, Track's Mink Oil, WWWF + Neetsfoot oil - wonder if

I missed anything?

I also have read - here and elsewhere, (not used myself) that Wonderlube, Bore Butter or similar 'products' will actually build up in the bore and that it needs some form of high powered

petroleum solvents like break or carburetor cleaner to remove it.

I would not expect water, hot it nor cold will remove that stuff.

Everyone up here uses cold or cool tap water & everyone here is happy with it, as well as many people right here at ALR. 
Daryl

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2018, 06:19:25 AM »
No Justin you cannot sell a beaver hide- unless you have a trapper's lisc and are dealing with a lisc. buyer and pay the Queen her cut.

I'd be pretty wary of selling/trading for bear oil. If you create the perception that you are profiting from a dead bear in B.C there is an even chance it will become an issue.  Besides that l'ill bear never gave you a surplus.

Well, I guess I'll keep my bear oil to myself. Work good in oil lamps and for cooking as well as patch lube

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2018, 07:35:02 AM »
It's already been stated that the rules vary alot from one local to another but I don't know if it would be taboo to gift it to some one in Canada or not. I just did that in the states and don't want any compensation for the oil but stated that the recipient could donate a small amount to the ALR fund instead.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2018, 04:46:14 PM »
Since the question came up, let me first say that I live in Ontario, Canada.  If you look up the rules per the Ministry of Natural Resources { MNR ] it clearly states that it is illegal to profit from the sale of game animal parts. You are allowed to sell natural "sheds" re antlers etc , but not if attached to a scull . So... no mounts allowed for sale. No meat. Tanned leather is another thing, but you require a license and must pay the gov't stamp tax [ fur bearing animals]  It is perfectly fine to gift meat, or bear grease/oil etc . Just don't try to sell it or the MNR might pay you a call.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2018, 06:03:27 PM »
Scota4570  did any of these post answer your question ?  I have no answer cause I don't use Bear Oil. Does the MFG. have an M.S.D.S. sheet or is there one on line?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 06:06:14 PM by J Henry »

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2018, 06:21:58 PM »
Scota4570  did any of these post answer your question ?  I have no answer cause I don't use Bear Oil. Does the MFG. have an M.S.D.S. sheet or is there one on line?

I doubt for that price it's bear oil. I gave him a better option.