Author Topic: Natural pigments for painting  (Read 1490 times)

Offline msellers

Natural pigments for painting
« on: January 28, 2018, 08:55:07 PM »
Does anyone have any experience working with dry pigment painting of rawhide, horn, and bone accoutrements? Found this source of info and pigments, but looking for some real world input.

http://www.earthpigments.com/colonial-natural-pigments/

Thanks for any information,  and my apologies if I missed a previous thread on this when I did my search.

Mime

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Natural pigments for painting
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 10:37:43 PM »
Yes I have. I use mostly concrete powdered pigments, but also use chalk line chalk. Some very nice work can be done on the rough side of buckskin, or braintanned buckskin, if you have deep pockets, by simply cutting the bristle on a paintbrush really short so they are stiff. Dry pigment is worked into the knap of the leather with a circular motion, a little at a time. Rawhide, buffalo skulls, bone, and tanned buckskin, can be painted with a combination of the dry pigment, artists acrylic flat clear, and water. Depending on the mixture the “paint” can be a light clear color, or a very opaque.
 I painted a tanned buffalo hide some years ago that turned of wonderful. I used a piece of antler like the natives did, and worked it more like a stamp than a paint brush.

Hungry Horse

Offline msellers

Re: Natural pigments for painting
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 11:35:44 PM »
Hungry Horse,

Thank you very much for the insight. Thinking that this will be a new adventure/experiment for me one of these days.

Mike