Author Topic: Antique wet stone holder  (Read 2825 times)

Offline jdm

• member 2
Antique wet stone holder
« on: January 29, 2018, 03:59:22 AM »
I found this not long ago and thought you all might like to see it. Some one might have fun making something like this.

JIM

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Antique wet stone holder
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 04:28:43 AM »
That’s a dandy!
Andover, Vermont

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 05:26:06 AM »
When all hay and grain was mown by hand with a scythe you wore this on your belt to keep your stone in. The scythe had to be dressed often to keep it cutting keenly. You turned the blade over and drew the stone toward you from one end of the blade to the other sharpening only one side so you had a single bevel. I can almost hear the sound it would make.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

ddoyle

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 06:58:26 AM »
I picked a small sythe stone out of  a hayfield where a creek cut thru it. Has a hole in it for string, I used it to put the finish strokes on a sythe from the barn and took it for a test drive. I dare anyone with a large gas powdered weedwhacker to try nd keep up with a sharpe sythe. Tool perfection.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 07:01:50 AM »
I never would’ve guessed the purpose of that little gadget...thanks for the explanation David!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 07:02:10 AM »
Very interesting find. There was recently  (relatively) a thread going about these and period whetstones on the frontierfolk forum.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 03:57:50 AM »
Glad you guys like it. I get a lot of enjoyment out of these thinks from our past.   Everything has a story.  Jim
JIM

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 03:52:02 PM »
 Neat, how long is it?

Thanks, Tim C.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 10:13:11 PM »
I picked this one up awhile back.  I've wondered about the shaping on the tip.  Is it natural or formed?

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 01:29:41 AM »
[quote author=Tim Crosby
 Neat, how long is it?

With the lobe in back ( for the hook). it's 7 1/2 inches . Seven not counting the lobe. 2and a quarter wide at the big end.   I decided to keep this one because it's the only one I've seen that was dated.
JIM

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 02:07:58 AM »
 Rob,
  Ya got a better Pic of that tip? I tried enlarging it but still can't see it very well. Almost looks to me like somebody jammed a piece of horn on the end of it, maybe to fix a hole or crack.

Tim

PS: Long Shot...if anybody has a stone that needs a case I may be interested. TC

PSS: Would also like to see better Pix of the OP. TC
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 04:56:30 PM by Tim Crosby »