Author Topic: Jaeger vs Longrifle  (Read 5522 times)

saltland

Jaeger vs Longrifle
« on: January 29, 2018, 05:51:14 AM »
 Rookie question...how would you compare performance/handling and any other comparisons between the 2 styles of rifles?
 Scott

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Jaeger vs Longrifle
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 06:14:32 AM »
I need a longer sight radius nowadays to shoot accurately.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 06:34:36 AM »
I need a longer sight radius nowadays to shoot accurately.

Yup....had a new barrel put on my 45 flinter....and the gunsmith said ..." I'll move that rear sight up ...for those old eyes " ...works slick.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 06:36:33 AM »
Would love to have a 62 cal Jaeger....great hunting gun....swing it like and old 30-30 model 94...

Turtle

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 04:01:22 PM »
I always thought Jaegers looked clunky and clumsy----till I shouldered one. They fit well and point instinctively. I don't own one, I still  think they are ugly, but just  handle one.

saltland

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 04:12:03 PM »
How about accuracy out to 100-150 yards?
Scott

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 05:43:54 PM »
Scott

Operator dependent.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 06:05:06 PM »
Scott

Operator dependent.

Plus 1.
No reason they Can't shoot as well, Think Hawken, many have a barrel up to 30", but also many originals have shorter tubes.
These were designed for big game at close quarters, in the woods.  so Use is a very important issue.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 06:45:07 PM »
Scott

Operator dependent.

Plus 1.
No reason they Can't shoot as well, Think Hawken, many have a barrel up to 30", but also many originals have shorter tubes.
These were designed for big game at close quarters, in the woods.  so Use is a very important issue.

I think you have that backwards. Production Hawkens go up to 32" (GPR), but real Hawkens were longer. I thought the shortest real Hawken found was 30"?

Even if the real Hawken was 34" that's pretty short compared to the longrifles.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 07:59:57 PM »
Once again, we are getting away from the OP question.
Performance....... a shorter barrel generates less velocity than a longer barrel. In the wind, a longer barrel is more difficult to hold on target.
Accuracy..... a shorter sight radius, so a little harder from that respect, but if you can hold it, the ball will go where directed.
Yeaterday, at a club shoot, in the wind,  a Jaeger with a 30" barrel took first place.
Again, shooter and circumstances will determine final result.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 09:49:06 PM »
Pete,

In the above I was meaning many Jaeger-type rifles have barrels up to 30" so getting up to where a Hawken would be.  Didn't mean a Hawken had barrel "Up To"  30 inches.    :-)

Down to 30 " maybe!  (Hawken that is)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 11:21:54 PM »
Jaegers are second only to English guns, as PROPER handling hunting rifles.  Express sights can help out with sight problems, considerably.
Look at the animal's kill zone, or target, snap the rifle to your shoulder and the sights are already on the centre of the kill zone or bull. THAT's how
a real hunting rifle fits - English design or Jaeger- both seem to fit that way. The longer barreled rifles are slower to mount, more difficult to handle
in tight bush and just slower to get the sights on 'target'.
We used to have a duel target at our club. It was spring loaded, with 8" plates at 50yard distance. Whichever shot hit first, removed the other's target,
thus the winner and loser of the duel were easily observed. It was quite a spectator sport as well.  The 5th gun in the list I pictured in this post, was
unbeaten in this event against both long rifles and hawken rifles. Guns were held at the side,  then on whistle, mounted and fired at the plates.
This rifle was the fastest with an accurate shot.  As soon as the stock came into my shoulder & cheek onto the comb, I slapped the trigger, centre (or nearly so) hit every time.
The Jaeger rifle pictured was very close to that in handling.
Just had to put this in - some might argue equal to the English gun.  This design came from the hunting fields, reaching it's peak in design by the mid 1800's.

secure image upload

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 11:38:09 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 01:10:15 AM »
I'm one of those who think jaegers are awesome and look good, too.  I hanker to own one.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 03:13:19 AM »
I'm one of those who think jaegers are awesome and look good, too.  I hanker to own one.

Me Too ! One of these days !

saltland

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 05:57:57 AM »
Jaegers are second only to English guns, as PROPER handling hunting rifles.  Express sights can help out with sight problems, considerably.
Look at the animal's kill zone, or target, snap the rifle to your shoulder and the sights are already on the centre of the kill zone or bull. THAT's how
a real hunting rifle fits - English design or Jaeger- both seem to fit that way. The longer barreled rifles are slower to mount, more difficult to handle
We used to have a duel target at our club. It was spring loaded, with 8" plates at 50yard distance. Whichever shot hit first, removed the other's target,
thus the winner and loser of the duel were easily observed. It was quite a spectator sport as well.  The 5th gun in the list I pictured in this post, was
unbeaten in this event against both long rifles and hawken rifles. Guns were held at the side,  then on whistle, mounted and fired at the plates.
This rifle was the fastest with an accurate shot.  As soon as the stock came into my shoulder & cheek onto the comb, I slapped the trigger, centre (or nearly so) hit every time.
Just had to put this in - some might argue equal to the English gun.  This design came from the hunting fields, reaching it's peak in design by the mid 1800's.

secure image upload

Thanks Daryl for  the comparison.

saltland

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 05:58:59 AM »
Thanks everybody for the input.
Scott

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 08:53:27 PM »
On the other hand, there is a gentle freshness, a pleasant journey, slowly walking through the bush with a long rifle in hand.
For fast and furious shooting the short, quick handling rifle is the best, fastest on target, however the slender, long graceful beauti of a well made long rifle, can be or become a true friend in the bush.

best image host

upload your pictures

Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 09:46:40 PM »
My present gun has a 24" barrel and tang peep sight. Very fast to shoulder and acquire the target. It should be good for bear hunting in thick brush and dark timber.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 10:18:34 PM »
  Daryl you have to many fine looking guns.....maybe it's time to raffle a few off....so you don't have to many to clean....?   You can always add more latter.....   Ok....Seriously you are right on with your post...when you snap a gun to your rifle to your shoulder you shouldn't have to look for the sights...especially if the animal that your hunting can either chew yeah to pieces of stomp the @#$@#@$ out of yeah....

JVavrek

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 11:36:29 PM »
Daryl, I'm just down right jealous  ;) Those are some fine rifles. I too favor the short rifles but love the looks of the long rifles. Ya just have to have them all so what ever mood you are in ya got a rifle for it. ;D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 06:34:17 AM »
  Daryl you have to many fine looking guns.....maybe it's time to raffle a few off....so you don't have to many to clean....?   You can always add more latter.....   Ok....Seriously you are right on with your post...when you snap a gun to your rifle to your shoulder you shouldn't have to look for the sights...especially if the animal that your hunting can either chew yeah to pieces of stomp the @#$@#@$ out of yeah....

LOL - I only own 3 of those, the nice ones, & no - they are not for sale.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 06:34:43 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 04:39:29 PM »

secure image upload

All I can say is " eye candy "
Plain beautiful rifles!
Thank you for sharing.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Hessian

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 11:04:23 PM »
I used to own a Jaeger in 62. Straight barrel, 1-66 twist I think, walnut stock. I loved it! Called it my "bowling ball rifle." I once shot through an 8 inch dead tree with it. (I was trying to recover the ball.) IIRC I shot 92gr of 2F behind a greased leather (Chamos) patched ball.(.610) I put a silver thumbpiece on the wrist with my initials.(DWS)
It was a thumper on both ends. I had to sell it years ago when I got into some financial trouble. As I recall someone from Arizona bought it.
I miss that rifle.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 12:14:22 AM »
I'm enamored with the beauty and feel of longrifles in the bush, at the range or just in my sanctum sanctorum.  But there's just something about those jaegers..........
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 04:26:01 PM »
To me,the Brits had it together and fine parts and craftsmanship are the rule
instead of the exception.The Jaeger is a fine idea as well and my lineage is
German from Hannover but I still will take the English gun every time.
Personal preference reigns supreme and I will never fault the Man who prefers the
Jaeger.The plain as a fence post Southern Long Rifle is to me,an American art
form and the Kibler kit brings it to life as does the hand crafted ones made by
top craftsmen in this forum. I wish I had kept the one Len Meadows made for
me in 1965 but medical bills and financial  short fall are cruel dictators.
Bob Roller