Author Topic: Rifle Styles  (Read 2612 times)

DarrinG

Rifle Styles
« on: February 16, 2018, 09:28:30 PM »
Anyone have knowledge of good links for reading on the different styles of rifles? I've read some about long rifles such as the Tennessee Rifle, etc, but not much comparisons and very little about mountain style rifles.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Rifle Styles
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 10:53:57 PM »
there's lots of books out there you could buy.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 12:51:53 AM »
Anyone have knowledge of good links for reading on the different styles of rifles? I've read some about long rifles such as the Tennessee Rifle, etc, but not much comparisons and very little about mountain style rifles.
Thanks in advance.

If you want any kind of detail, books are likely to be your best bet. Unfortunately there isn't one that covers everything - the good ones tend to be more narrowly focused. What area and era are you interested in?

As for websites, the museum right here on ALR is as good as you are likely to get....
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:53:34 AM by Elnathan »
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 12:59:43 AM »
Here's the best resource I have found for extremely detailed pictures of the various rifle styles. No written info, just high end pics.
http://kentuckyriflefoundation.org/krf-store/
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?