Author Topic: Poboy  (Read 4009 times)

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Poboy
« on: January 31, 2018, 04:03:21 AM »
To me, the most interesting longrifles aren't always the fancy ones.  Occasionally, I see an early very plain rifle that just speaks to me.  This is one I collected 25 years ago that remains a favorite. 
The 40 1/2" barrel is .58 caliber smoothbore, and is signed "J Graeff" on the top flat. It is my assumption that the barrel by John Graeff of Lancaster was reused from an even earlier gun.  However, to add to the mystery, inside the lock mortice is stamped "J.G. 58". The lock is marked "A. Jennings."  What are your thoughts?

Wayne Elliott

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Poboy
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 04:11:23 AM »
Nice architecture.  Great find! 
Andover, Vermont

Offline vanu

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 04:20:26 AM »
Very nice! Just curious, did this come out of Virginia?

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 04:33:11 AM »
I don't know where the rifle originated.  I collected it from a Tennessee attic.
Wayne Elliott

Offline Howard

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 04:39:08 AM »
I like it. Good to see one well used. The old relic shows some good wear.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 06:08:47 PM »
 ;) ;) ;) ... Don't think I have seen this rifle, Wayne .... She's a beauty .. !!! ... Probably quite a few older, or broken guns were "recycled" by smiths in the Southern Mountains ... no need to throw something away when it could be "fixed" ... !!! ... thanx for pix....  Regards, DGB ...

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 07:25:39 PM »
  Wayne if only these guns could talk....Thanks for showing...another good one...that...has...survived the test of time...

Dave Patterson

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 05:32:50 AM »
;) ;) ;) ... Don't think I have seen this rifle, Wayne .... She's a beauty .. !!! ... Probably quite a few older, or broken guns were "recycled" by smiths in the Southern Mountains ... no need to throw something away when it could be "fixed" ... !!! ... thanx for pix....  Regards, DGB ...

;D You sound like my ol' Granpop (from Hawkins County).  I saved a few of his more memorable "fixes" after he passed; wish I'd saved more of them.  Some were, to say the least, awfully imaginative.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 12:12:27 AM »
Neat old rifle Wayne. I like that pewter around the wrist.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 10:54:06 PM »
A great looking old rifle; I like it.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 12:20:19 AM »
Neat old rifle, Wayne. Thanks for posting.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 06:00:33 PM »
What an interesting find! Love the many ways that gun was repaired, fixed, to keep,it running all these years. Thanks for sharing!!
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Treebeard

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 12:37:12 AM »
It  surprises me how these rifles without buttplates can survive with so little damage to the rear of the buttstock and yet have obvious signs of extensive use. I bet poor boy or not it was a prized and cared for Tool.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 01:48:14 AM »
It  surprises me how these rifles without buttplates can survive with so little damage to the rear of the buttstock and yet have obvious signs of extensive use. I bet poor boy or not it was a prized and cared for Tool.
Pretty typical. Guns got a broken wrist far more often than any damage to a bare butt.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?