Author Topic: Flintlock smooth Rifle pictures (full length pictures added)  (Read 3076 times)

Offline okawbow

Flintlock smooth Rifle pictures (full length pictures added)
« on: February 02, 2018, 06:59:12 PM »
The second of 4 guns. Flint smooth rifle with patch box and inlays. Comments?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 02:14:41 PM by Dennis Glazener »
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Hlbly

Re: Flintlock smooth Rifle pictures
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 07:19:15 PM »
Looks like a Snyder county gun that has been to the butcher shop.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 07:20:06 PM »
I studied that patchbox finial and found 2 or 3 makers, but my mind is slipping and I can't remember John _____brenner or something like that.  Anyway
the upper Susquehanna library on this site will help you.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 07:52:00 PM »
The lock, and sideplate, are butchery perpetrated by someone with no knowledge of how to restore a fine antique. The lock is an old Dixie F1 flintlock, and the big goofy sideplate is designed to cover the old sideplate inlet, and facilitate the restorers lack of knowledge of how sideplate/ lockbolts should be placed. This is sad to see.

Hungry Horse

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 08:06:07 PM »
I think a better picture might show that the rifle was broken in half through the lock area.
I'd guess that the original lock and side plate were lost, or beyond use, and at some point someone decided to put the gun back in one piece using this lock and large sideplate to help support the break. A closer look might tell whether the trigger guard and trigger are original, or new replacements. I doubt this work was done by some restorer guy trying to make a buck, but more likely an owner wanting to have the gun back in one piece, so it would be less likely to end up in the trash.

As for the gun, the patchbox finale is very similar to that on my John Parks Sr. rifle.

Also, a last closer look might be to look closely at the wood grain, structure and striping to assure the front part of the gun actually belongs to the back part of the gun.
If it is, and I expect so, a good restoration would certainly improve the look and continued long life of the rifle!

John

John Robbins

Offline okawbow

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 08:56:03 PM »
Thanks John

I’ll pass that along to the owner. I also think this gun is a good candidate for restoration.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 08:57:57 PM by okawbow »
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 02:52:15 AM »
By the way, is that a bit of carving behind the cheek piece? Looks so in the picture, but hard the tell for sure. Any engraving on the moon?
John
John Robbins

Offline okawbow

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 03:21:18 AM »
There is some raised and incised carving around the cheek piece. No engraving that I can see on the larger pictures.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 05:14:12 AM »
Full length pictures